Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Microsoft will be unveiling Windows 9 at a press event on Tuesday, September 30. Stay tuned!

The Thursday edition of Windows? Whatever will they come up with on Friday?
;)
:oldwink:

I think it will be Windows 9. "TH" is just a code name (short for "ThresHold" or "THreshold"). ;)
Only in Redmond.

In the Linux world, they number versions similar to the way that the weather people name hurricanes -- alphabetically. Makes more sense than having working titles or trying to come up with some other kind of big cat or metropolitan area.

Maybe Microsoft is on the Threshold of becoming irrelevant in the operating system market?

Only in Redmond.

In the Linux world, they number versions similar to the way that the weather people name hurricanes -- alphabetically. Makes more sense than having working titles or trying to come up with some other kind of big cat or metropolitan area.

Maybe Microsoft is on the Threshold of becoming irrelevant in the operating system market?
Yeah, who wants chaos on your project names... I just named a sprint at work "Gooney Goo Goo". I think you're trying too hard.

Microsoft will be unveiling Windows 9 at a press event on Tuesday, September 30. Stay tuned!

Yet another interface reworking after totally screwing the pooch with 8 and server 2012.

They should make the people who that hovering at the edge of the screen was a good way of accessing the menu spend a solid month doing nothing but that on an RDP session via a low speed connection to see how much of an epic fail that one thing is.

This is the second (or third if you count 8.1) interface update in 5iah years is pretty astonishing and not in a good way.

I agree with others who say MS may very well be losing relevance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yet another interface reworking after totally screwing the pooch with 8 and server 2012.

They should make the people who that hovering at the edge of the screen was a good way of accessing the menu spend a solid month doing nothing but that on an RDP session via a low speed connection to see how much of an epic fail that one thing is.

This is the second (or third if you count 8.1) interface update in 5iah years is pretty astonishing and not in a good way.

I agree with others who say MS may very well be losing relevance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
With my iPhone and my wife's iPad, and LONG hours at work, I rarely boot up my PC anymore. If I ever get that sort of time, I'll work on my Linux machine project.

Well, I was wrong! It's Windows 10!
Microsoft skips number "9"!

• Expanded Start menu. The familiar Start menu is back, providing quick one-click access to the functions and files that people use most, and it includes a new space to personalize with favorite apps, programs, people and websites.
  • Apps that run in a window. Apps from the Windows Store now open in the same format that desktop programs do. They can be resized and moved around, and have title bars at the top allowing users to maximize, minimize and close with a click.
  • Snap enhancements. Working in multiple apps at once is easier and more intuitive with snap improvements. A new quadrant layout allows up to four apps to be snapped on the same screen. Windows will also show other apps and programs running for additional snapping, and it will even make smart suggestions on filling available screen space with other open apps.
  • New Task view button. The new Task view button on the task bar enables one view for all open apps and files, allowing for quick switching and one-touch access to any desktop created.
  • Multipledesktops. Instead of too many apps and files overlapping on a single desktop, it’s easy to create and switch between distinct desktops for different purposes and projects — whether for work or personal use.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/sep14/09-30futureofwindowspr.aspx

Reactions: TheKrell
The new Start button:

09-30startMenu_Page.jpg

I stopped at version 7, if I need anything newer I will use Linux.
Back in the day, this wasn't so easy to justify but as more and more titles aren't keeping up with Microsoft's latest OS, it is certainly less of an issue. Two of the six
  • Expanded Start menu. The familiar Start menu is back, providing quick one-click access to the functions and files that people use most, and it includes a new space to personalize with favorite apps, programs, people and websites.
  • Apps that run in a window. Apps from the Windows Store now open in the same format that desktop programs do. They can be resized and moved around, and have title bars at the top allowing users to maximize, minimize and close with a click.
  • Snap enhancements. Working in multiple apps at once is easier and more intuitive with snap improvements. A new quadrant layout allows up to four apps to be snapped on the same screen. Windows will also show other apps and programs running for additional snapping, and it will even make smart suggestions on filling available screen space with other open apps.
  • New Task view button. The new Task view button on the task bar enables one view for all open apps and files, allowing for quick switching and one-touch access to any desktop created.
  • Multipledesktops. Instead of too many apps and files overlapping on a single desktop, it’s easy to create and switch between distinct desktops for different purposes and projects — whether for work or personal use.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/sep14/09-30futureofwindowspr.aspx
This sounds so much like Linux (except for the apps part), I'm wondering which distro they used as a model.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts