Windows 10 - September 30 Event

From Microsoft's website:

We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

As directv continues to pollute the landscape with new releases of .net and the like, you can bet the "lifetime of the device" will be limited.

Whoops. Somehow the incorrect spelling of DIRECTV went in where it should have said Micro$oft.

I figured something like that happened. But how in the world do you misspell Microsoft so badly that it gets corrected to DirecTV? :eek:

I figured something like that happened. But how in the world do you misspell Microsoft so badly that it gets corrected to DirecTV? :eek:
Especially since I'm so very careful about correctly spelling DIRECTV (the registered trademark is all caps and has been for many, if not all of DIRECTV's years).

I downloaded the preview to my venue 8 pro and a day later went back to 8.1. I might, and I mean might go to windows 10 when the final build comes out for my sp3, but for smaller screens now, windows 8.1 is far superior.

I actually felt it better on the desktop for bigger machines as well if you put start 8, but maybe that's just me.

Shame too, I have been excited about this build. Just seems a step back for touch.

Yeah, there are a lot of issues, but it *is* a preview and nowhere near finished. It's intended for people who will take the time to kick it around and use the feedback app to make suggestions. If you just install it and immediately roll back because you don't like what you see, you are not the intended audience.

Yeah I do understand the intent with it. I just felt like the overall feel (taking into account being a preview build) is nowhere near as user friendly for a tablet as 8.1

I do not think that's as much it being a preview as it is by design.

I'll give it another look later I'm sure.

As long as you have the ability to go back to what you had previously after loading 10.

The previous releases would change the recovery partition, so going back required you to have a USB recovery stick you have to make, or use one of the imaging products out there. So going back was a real PITA for many as that didn't work as smoothly as it was supposed to. From reading SurfacePro 2 users were having real fits with that.

This last release (9926) didn't do that on my Yoga 2 Pro and I was able to recover and good to go fairly quickly.

I hope you did try the Touch mode in Windows 10, the one with the fill-screen Home Screen. Didn't you? ;)

I hope you did try the Touch mode in Windows 10, the one with the fill-screen Home Screen. Didn't you? ;)

I spent the day after I installed the 9926 build, fiddling with various and sundry things in it. It all started being not so good early on with the enormous 'start' screen as part of the start button. Took up about 3/4 of the screen on the Yoga 2 Pro. There is a hack to get it back to the one that was on previous builds, but that is all that is, a hack and may or may not be there going forward.

The switching from desktop to tablet mode is all very manual and not at all intuitive.

Bottom line was that all my apps and such worked, most of them became more 'fiddly' to use because you are never really in what was considered the 'modern UI' of Win8/8.1. W10 is all about the desktop and that is where you are at, even when you think you aren't.

That said. These are all growing pains as MS struggles to get W10 in shape to make people want to get it. The tech preview is buggy and some things either don't work, or work in a fashion that you don't like. It most definitely should NOT be on your daily driver. Way too many uncertainties.

One of the things that is very irritating isn't caused by W10, but is still an issue. And that is app data. I have a utility to backup and restore app data for the 'modern' apps, but it takes time to do so switching from W8.1 to W10, even on the same machine is not as useful as it could be IF I want to use that data. It would be so much easier if 'modern UI' apps just saved their data on OneDrive and other machines could use that data without user intervention.

I did. To me, it felt a step back in that regard. At least on a smaller tablet like the V8pro. And I may be in the minority, but I missed the swipe left charms menu. I use it often on the V8pro as that is where the "windows?" button is on my SP3, so it is where I am accustomed to pressing.

Did anyone else have issues with IE opening? Or not opening rather? I noticed a few issues (obviously), but this one was a constant for me. I never could use it.

I did. To me, it felt a step back in that regard. At least on a smaller tablet like the V8pro. And I may be in the minority, but I missed the swipe left charms menu. I use it often on the V8pro as that is where the "windows?" button is on my SP3, so it is where I am accustomed to pressing.
And that's exactly the kind of feedback Microsoft hopes to get from this Preview program.
I am sure you are not the only one who complain about the tablet side of Windows 10 though, so I suspect they will bring the Charms Menu back before Windows 10 is released.

I didn't experience any issues with IE, though I only tried the desktop version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts