Windows 8 OS,Tablet, New Win 8 PCs News Thread

The ad above is exactly the reason I will not be using Windows 8 in its present form. EVERY single "wow-factor" app they show is specifically for a touch screen. Those of us in the stone age with physical keyboards have no need for that crap or the lay-out designed for touch screens.

The ad above is exactly the reason I will not be using Windows 8 in its present form. EVERY single "wow-factor" app they show is specifically for a touch screen. Those of us in the stone age with physical keyboards have no need for that crap or the lay-out designed for touch screens.

You don't have to have a touch screen to run Win 8 I been running Win 8 on a normal PC and it's easy to move around with the mouse and keyboard. Most of the things you will do on the new start up screen will just require a few movements of the mouse and clicks. Then you can always go back to your normal desktop as well so Microsoft has done a great job of making it easy to get around on the new start screen with just a mouse and keyboard. Most of the new hardware coming out like Slates,Tablets,Laptops will have touch screens by default. Most of your monitor companies Dell,Viewsonic,HP,Acer,Samsung so forth will have touch screens out for those who choose to have a touchscreen with their PC. But you don't have to have one at this time or not at all you can easily still get around fine in Win 8 so I would advise everyone to give it a try and not to worry about a touch screen.

Plus folks can always go all in one as well but I plan on upgrading my main desktop without a touchscreen and it will be fine it's easy to move around without it and use the apps so forth so having the ability not to touch is not a real issues just something they added for those who want to use it. But in the future with all the new hardware coming out it will not be a issue do to by default things will be touch or you can still use the mouse.. So keyboards and mouse are not going any where again thats the nice thing they have taken care of both sides of things those who still want to use the Keyboards and mouse and those who want the touch or you can do both..

I have a touchscreen PC and guess what...

I never use the Touchscreen. Its not natural to reach up and across your desk to touch something on the screen.

I'm looking forward to the new touchpads and mice that allow for interaction with the new start menu gestures actually. Little/no interest in a touchscreen-based desktop unless it was put into a place to act as a touchscreen 100% of the time. My old boss for example had a nice imac setup on a tall divider between the kitchen and living room that acted as a music center and stuff. Perfect use case for a 100% touch screen desktop.

With Win 7 Pro you could download and Install XP (XP Compatibility mode) to tun XP apps in an XP window ... I like that because it reminds me that Microsoft is finally catching up to where OS/2 Warp version 4 was ... :D

Each version gets harder and harder to figure out how to get back to a plain blue Windows 95 desktop, and which services are just taking up space.

I recall having to publish how to make old hardware work with XP when the service packs came out ... glad I'm retired and have lots of unopened copies of XP left, but they don't load as fast as DRDOS or even MSDOS 6.22 on an SSD :D

I have a touchscreen PC and guess what...

I never use the Touchscreen. Its not natural to reach up and across your desk to touch something on the screen.

Yeah touchscreen not a issue for me as well.. But for those who are into the Slates,Tablets so forth it will be nice to be able to use touch now.

Again, merged all Windows 8 OS and Tablet News stories into one thread. PLEASE keep future posts in this thread. Easier for everyone to navigate. Likewise, when possible, use the iPad threads rather than creating new ones. Thank you.

The only part I liked was "brush sold seperately."

close.gif

And I've got enough screen cleaning already.

The Pursuit: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga (Director's Cut)

Not to bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for reviews to see if I can shake my personal objections to the new operating system I found several that parrot my own feelings on this new product.
http://www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-windows/windows-8-review-yes-its-bad-200113
Infoworld.com said:
But sometimes engineering achievements are appreciated only by the engineers. From the user's standpoint, Windows 8 is a failure -- an awkward mishmash that pulls the user in two directions at once. Users attracted to the new touch-friendly Metro GUI will dislike the old touch-hostile desktop underneath. By the same token, users who rely on the traditional Windows desktop will dislike having to navigate Metro to find settings and apps they intuitively locate in Windows 7. Microsoft has moved the cheese.

PC World pretty much says they hate it but the market is making MS kill off the PC.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2615...eady_why_waiting_for_windows_9_wont_help.html

Looking for reviews to see if I can shake my personal objections to the new operating system I found several that parrot my own feelings on this new product.
http://www.infoworld.com/d/microsoft-windows/windows-8-review-yes-its-bad-200113

PC World pretty much says they hate it but the market is making MS kill off the PC.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2615...eady_why_waiting_for_windows_9_wont_help.html

PC World abandoned the PC long ago and is nothing more than a gadget marketing rag. Besides, they've always been a shill for Microsoft. Everyone in the industry is pushing Windows 8 for the sake of sales, not because it's really something the consumer wants. There will always be that segment that will jump on anything new without regard to usefulness or value. Personally, I'm not one of them. I just recently "upgraded" an XP HTPC that functions perfectly for my needs but with older software that may not exist much longer. The change to Win 7 was absolutely useless and I went back to XP as 7 caused a number of problems with things like my remote. I'll only change back to 7 if my current software no longer has a guide available for scheduling recordings. If I buy a new laptop in the future I'll probably go with 8 if I go to touch, otherwise I find absolutely no reason to waste money on 8.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)