Windows 8 PCs/Tablets/Phones have Failed.. Now what?

So I'm not alone?

I have friends who've bought Win 8 (to try it).
One fellow got Windows phones for himself and his wife.
He recently got the Surface Pro, one vastly overpriced toy! :down
My lawyer got a Surface RT, not so overpriced, and with free MS Word, etc.

Frankly, after seeing it on TV (and in person) I wouldn't touch Win 8.

How do YOU spell Windows ME? ! ;)

I have friends who've bought Win 8 (to try it).
One fellow got Windows phones for himself and his wife.
He recently got the Surface Pro, one vastly overpriced toy! :down
My lawyer got a Surface RT, not so overpriced, and with free MS Word, etc.

Frankly, after seeing it on TV (and in person) I wouldn't touch Win 8.

How do YOU spell Windows ME? ! ;)

what is it you see that would have you make a comparison of Win8 to Windows millennium?

what is it you see that would have you make a comparison of Win8 to Windows millennium?

I'm not Anole, but here's what I'm seeing...

Consumer ambivalence at best. Multiple vendors (Dell, Samsung, Lenovo and Acer) speaking out on poor sales. Wholesale pricing cut of 75% about 6 months after launch.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

So not true and very misleading just another example of site that shows how the blind can lead the blind when it comes to a lot of things and they by far are not overpriced compared to other platforms.

I'm not Anole, but here's what I'm seeing...

Consumer ambivalence at best. Multiple vendors (Dell, Samsung, Lenovo and Acer) speaking out on poor sales. Wholesale pricing cut of 75% about 6 months after launch.

i understand that part john but millennium was a terrible O/S. very buggy. i'm just curios if besides sales, pricing, etc if there's another reason for the comment.

I would say the comparison would be closer to Windows Vista. Vista had a lot of new and innovative features and was not buggy, but it changed things a lot with respect to the user experience (the constant security pop ups). It drove users crazy and suffered in the marketplace. Win 7 simply changed the user experience back closer to XP but was still Vista underneath with the same security concepts.

Win 8 would probably be a smashing success if MS simply allowed the start button to be enabled and desktop mode to be a default boot option. I know you can simply install some freeware or low priced programs to do this, but this is not something the average user wants to do.

i understand that part john but millennium was a terrible O/S. very buggy. i'm just curios if besides sales, pricing, etc if there's another reason for the comment.

Yeah I agree Millennium was not good at all.

Yeah they have a app now that brings folks the start menu and lets you boot straight to the desktop IObit StartMenu8 v1.1.0 but that being said Win 8 to me from what I have seen it's doing very well and Windows Phone will keep growing as well.

I think part of the issue is that Windows 7 is so good that people are satisfied with that OS and don't feel the need to upgrade. Windows XP/Vista to 7 made sense because it was a dramatic upgrade behind the scenes so that it ran faster and better and from a usability standpoint it's just great. I see absolutely no compelling reason to upgrade to 8 right now because my current system runs very well with 7, I'm not a big fan of the "tile" interface (which I've read is only good if you have a touchscreen monitor, which I'll never have because I like my 50" panny) and upgrading will likely just read to driver/software issues. It's like if you're upgrading to 8, you're upgrading just for the sake of upgrading.

I think part of the issue is that Windows 7 is so good that people are satisfied with that OS and don't feel the need to upgrade. Windows XP/Vista to 7 made sense because it was a dramatic upgrade behind the scenes so that it ran faster and better and from a usability standpoint it's just great. I see absolutely no compelling reason to upgrade to 8 right now because my current system runs very well with 7, I'm not a big fan of the "tile" interface (which I've read is only good if you have a touchscreen monitor, which I'll never have because I like my 50" panny) and upgrading will likely just read to driver/software issues. It's like if you're upgrading to 8, you're upgrading just for the sake of upgrading.

Yeah very good points. Win 7 fine if you want to go to Win8 that fine too I have a older friend who just went to Win8 from 7 is was kind of worried about all the touch stuff. But when he saw that it was real easy to get around using just the mouse and keyboard that you really did not have to have a touch screen that it was fine. So like with any software changes happen and I think overtime folks will adjust and I'm sure with the next update 8.1 they will add some things that folks would like to see. I know that View sonic and other plan on making touch screen monitors so forth but I don't that I would ever use one for my main PC. The mouse and keyboard work fine for me on the tablet side of a ultra book that makes more sense but again everyone different as well.

Poke:

People are already adjusting. There is a paradigm shift occurring as we move more towards phones and tablets for our day to day computing needs.

In addition, they aren't upgrading systems as frequently and not upgrading their OS on their existing systems.

If Microsoft too late for this shift? It's too soon to tell, but at this point their primary competitors, iOS and Android are more nimble with shorter product cycles and OS upgrades much more frequently.

Let's be honest here, desktop computing has already past its zenith, and all that's left is a long, show decline. Here desktop is referring to traditional computing on desktops/laptops.

Cheers,

Poke:

People are already adjusting. There is a paradigm shift occurring as we move more towards phones and tablets for our day to day computing needs.

In addition, they aren't upgrading systems as frequently and not upgrading their OS on their existing systems.

If Microsoft too late for this shift? It's too soon to tell, but at this point their primary competitors, iOS and Android are more nimble with shorter product cycles and OS upgrades much more frequently.

Let's be honest here, desktop computing has already past its zenith, and all that's left is a long, show decline. Here desktop is referring to traditional computing on desktops/laptops.

Cheers,

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2i using Tapatalk 2.x

iOS nimble? Sounds like too much kool aid. Drink more coffee.

Where do business users go when it absolutely has to work and be able to communicate one on one with multiple customers/suppliers ? Speaking as a business user I say ----Microsoft with all its faults.

I have them all and invariably drift back to microsoft when it absolutely has to gete done.

Sent from my S3 using SatelliteGuys

iOS nimble? Sounds like too much kool aid. Drink more coffee.

In comparison to Microsoft, yes.

Where do business users go when it absolutely has to work and be able to communicate one on one with multiple customers/suppliers ? Speaking as a business user I say ----Microsoft with all its faults.

Are we talking desktops or servers? If the latter, Unix.

MS has the dominance in desktops for now. 5 years from now will see a different landscape IMHO.

I have them all and invariably drift back to microsoft when it absolutely has to gete done.

First we have to define "it". I wouldn't put an enterprise database up on SQL server for example.

You will see a shift in businesses from dedicated desktops to thin clients. We're already doing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)