Windows Alternative

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Okay, I just tried to install Vista on a new hard drive. This Vista CD and key came from my wife's company from a brand new computer they decided to install XP on instead, so this should have been an unused license.

I had to call Microsoft and was told that I could not use the license, as the way Vista works it works on one computer and that's it. If it has a hardware failure or someone decides to swap out licenses for XP, then you have to buy a new license.

I'm tired of this crap from Microsoft. I will install 32-bit XP for now, but I will create a second partition and would like to start migrating over to something other than Windows, like Linux.

Can someone recommend a good Linux or other OS that is easy to learn for someone who is used to Microsoft products?

In my experience whatever Linux you choose the installation will go fine and you will gain confidence and experience.

Two major downsides:

1. If you rely on MS Access for some applications then you will be hard put to find a convenient replacement on Linux. It is possible to find emulators or write your own substitute but you will be forever running into things that Access has already created a good and fast routine for that you have to replace. You are missing the 'hooks'.

2. Eventually you will want to install an application that will not run properly on your Linux box. So you go looking for support and you find that there is lots of information for many Linux versions except the one that you chose.

Talk to lots of people about experiences with Linux. If you have an old box then install Linux on it just to get some experience of your own and get a feel for it. I'm not trying to put you off Linux, but it is not a step to be taken lightly. You need to define what you will be using it for, each distro is good at some things and not so good at others.

Open office looks good on linux, even paying for the full version (some parts are patented in staroffice) is like $50.

The three top distributions are Ubuntu 7.04, OpenSUSE 10.2 and PCLinux 2007 according to Distrowatch.com. The later two default to the KDE Window Manager rather than Gnome which Ubuntu uses. I think a former Windows person would feel more at home with KDE. I use OpenSUSE on my desktop and Ubuntu on my laptop.

John

"Top" Linux distros change all the time.... When I was into Linux, SUSE and PCLinux were sold in stores like Best Buy and other places. I used Debian unstable for years and then Gentoo (started with RedHat 5 if that tells you when I started).

To be honest, I NEVER recommended Linux to anyone. I didn't want to become someone's personal tech support. It took a lot of work years ago. I've tried distros again but still found myself booting into Windows to do something. That's the same reason I gave up on linux 5+ years ago and it still hasn't changed (for me).

I have downloaded OpenSuse 10.2 32 bit and Suse 10.1 64 bit. With star office Id like to give windows the heave ho. Not exactly sure how to install it on the same HD with windows though.

I put Ubuntu on my laptop that has Vista on it and ended up taking it back off because I can only get dialup and could not get the modem driver on it. I also couldnt get the modem driver for Windows XP either when I put that on the laptop as well. I am stuck with Vista and I have two identical laptops unless I can get high speed internet connection here.

Okay, I just tried to install Vista on a new hard drive. This Vista CD and key came from my wife's company from a brand new computer they decided to install XP on instead, so this should have been an unused license.
The license is for the machine that you're wife's company bought. The licensing scheme for the retail version of Vista can be moved to a "different machine" twice.

I had to call Microsoft and was told that I could not use the license, as the way Vista works it works on one computer and that's it. If it has a hardware failure or someone decides to swap out licenses for XP, then you have to buy a new license.

I'm tired of this crap from Microsoft. I will install 32-bit XP for now, but I will create a second partition and would like to start migrating over to something other than Windows, like Linux.

Can someone recommend a good Linux or other OS that is easy to learn for someone who is used to Microsoft products?

I would use XP-pro. I'm going to wait till the next O/S comes out after Vista. I went from 98 to XP, didn't want ME/2000, seems ridiculous to spend all that money for something that will be improved on in a couple years.

I installed and ran Ubuntu on my main desktop for around 6 months. If you were going to install and use to browse the internet and do email and listen to music .. its great - however - if or when you want to burn a dvd or file-share on the network or install new programs etc - there is always a "snag" that you have to go looking for a solution to.

In the end it was more trouble than it was worth .. there is always something that can't be done quite how you want to do it.

I installed vista on my machine recently and have had zero problems since then.

I also used pclinux ... was a nice little distro. Or for simplicity - maybe even try freespire.

Most of the linux disto's have "live cd's" which let you boot into linux right from the cd ... this allows you to check compatibility and get a feel for how the desktop looks and feels and what it can do without having to install anything on your hard drive.

If i was installing for my parents .. it would be fine as they just do basic internet and email. For me - it didn't quite have everything that windows did... and if it did ... it was a pain to find an alternative program that would do what you wanted it to do .. and if you did - it was a pain to get it install ...

:)

When I installed Ubuntu on this lap top Ubuntu partioned my hard drive and I can dual boot either Linux or Xp. If you go to some Linux forums there is good info on dual booting...Iam so glad I use xp less each day. With the advent of Wine now alot of windows programs work with Linux.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)