Windows Media Center Vista + 102g

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, it took all night but I finally got Windows 7 downloaded (legally, from my university :)). The 32 bit pro version is 16 GB. I think the 64 bit is a 20 GB download. Hopefully by the end of tonight I will have it running with my Twinhan 1020a card.

Doesn't 802.11n have average rates of 100-200 Mbps? Why should I not be surprised if it doesn't stream live HD? It seems like that would be more than enough to handle it...

802.11n has higher theoretical limits but in practice (for me anyways) the only advantage has been range in spite of what the connect speed says.

Last edited:
A guy I work with said he couldn't get the wireless n to work in Windows 7 with an encore brand wireless card, but he got it to work fine with another brand (can't remember which one). You might want to check forums elsewhere and see if other people can get the higher 802.11n speeds with the same equipment and OS you are using.

Well, it took all night but I finally got Windows 7 downloaded (legally, from my university :)). The 32 bit pro version is 16 GB. I think the 64 bit is a 20 GB download

The app that MSDNAA downloads Microsoft software through was wrong. It said that the download size was 16,000 MB (as I said above) and I was blown away by the size of this new OS.

After downloading, the .iso was 2.3 GB; nowhere near the 16GB it said. phew.

I got Win7 Pro installed and it works great. I got my OTA tuner working with Windows Media Center, but I am still trying to get it to work with my 1020a. Windows didn't automatically find any drivers for the 1020a so I installed the drivers that came on CD with the card. Windows recognizes it now and says the device is working properly, but I was unable to find it through WMC. Do I need to do anything with the software that was installed with the drivers? It has the antenna setup stuff like a receiver would have, but I'm not sure if I need to have that running as well as WMC or if WMC will do it all? I will try it tonight. When I tried to add a satellite receiver through WMC it only had info/setup options about STBs, not tuner cards. I am going to try and get it working with the VisionPlus software that came with the card and then with WMC. Hopefully I can get it working through WMC.

As a side note, when I was watching live HD content on NBC last night, it worked great. However, when I would try to view the guide while the show was still playing, things would start to get rough and the video started skipping and the system started get hung up. This is using 2GB of RAM and the on-board HD Radeon 3200 video. I have another 2GB of RAM and a Nvidia 9500 GT w/ 1GB DDR2 on the way. I'll update on the performance once I get these installed.

willie,

Just curious, are you using the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version? Just remember the 32 bit version will peak out at 4GB total of RAM, combining your system memory and your video card memory. You may want to switch to the 64 bit version and try it, however, it may be tough to get drivers for the 1020a. I had a tough time getting my 102g working but I finally did after scouring through forums for hours. My TBS 6920 came yesterday, and I should have my small dish up buy the end of the week and maybe my 10 footer by the end of next week (woo hoo!). I streamed a movie to my 360 this weekend, worked GREAT!

willie,

Just curious, are you using the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version? Just remember the 32 bit version will peak out at 4GB total of RAM, combining your system memory and your video card memory. You may want to switch to the 64 bit version and try it, however, it may be tough to get drivers for the 1020a. I had a tough time getting my 102g working but I finally did after scouring through forums for hours. My TBS 6920 came yesterday, and I should have my small dish up buy the end of the week and maybe my 10 footer by the end of next week (woo hoo!). I streamed a movie to my 360 this weekend, worked GREAT!

I am running the 32 bit version. I didn't realize the 4GB limit included the video card RAM. I have access to the 64 bit version so I guess I will need to do that. I popped in the CD that came with my 1020a and it seemed to install the drivers fine. Device manager says the card is operating properly. The software that came with it runs fine (in XP SP2 compatibility mode) but I haven't messed with it very much yet. Does Win7 let you just run an upgrade to 64 bit or do I have to do a fresh install?

When you had a tough time getting your 102g to work do you mean that you couldn't find a driver or you had a driver, but it still didn't work right?

Last edited:
Good question. I've always done a clean install between the two. I'm GUESSING that with 7 you may be able to upgrade, I'm not sure. I was able to upgrade between beta to RC and then RC to RTM. When I was running the 32-bit RTM it automatically installed my 102g drivers as well, but when I wiped it and installed the 64-bit it did not. I had the Digital TV 3.4 release 19 from the Twinhan website, and it would not install correctly. I found some patched drivers for Vista 64 that worked fine (I love user support forums). Then WMC found it correctly. Fortunately, I popped my TBS 6920 today and installed the drivers from TBS's website, and it installed without a hitch on 64-bit :) If you need some help getting your 1020a installed, let me know, I'll send you my patched drivers, I have them stowed away for safe keeping, since Twinhan seems to lack support for 64-bit :(

Btw you said WMC wouldn't find your OTA card afterwards? Run the initial setup again (Tasks > Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup). That's what I had to do after I got my drivers installed.

Okay, I locked in a Q signal with the Vision Data app that came with my 1020a. It seems to have found the TP and locked onto it. I would really appreciate those patched drivers if you don't mind. I'll send you a PM with my email. I am downloading Win7 64 bit right now.

I have tried to run the initial setup a few times now and WMC only finds my OTA tuner. As I said above, the card seems to have locked onto the signal I told it to, so I'm not really sure why WMC doesn't find it. Is there a media player I can use that works well with FTA stuff so I can try it out on there before messing with WMC. If it is a hardware issue I want to find it before I spend too much time fiddling with software.

The pic shows a screenshot of the app with the locked signal. I know the Q is low - I need to adjust my dish :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Okay, I finally got Win7 64bit installed. As expected, none of the software/drivers that came with my Twinhan 1020a worked. I installed the patched drivers for 64bit and device manager says the device is working properly and WMC finds the card. The problem is that I scanned the satellite I am aimed at through WMC and it found a bunch of FTA stuff, but when I try to view it, nothing comes up. It looks like there is no signal. I'm not sure why this is since there is a signal when I use my receiver. I am hopefully going to get this worked out this week. If you all have any suggestions please let me know! Also, I found beta version of the Twinhan DTV media player that is for 64bit Vista and I am going to see if I can't get that working as well.

:EDIT:
And FYI to answer to my question from an earlier post you have to do a clean install when switching from 32bit to 64bit. Upgrade option is not available, as expected.

Last edited:
Nice job Willie! I'll tell you what I did, I installed the patched drivers and then went back and installed the latest Twinhan Digital TV package over it...and it worked fine. Might wanna try that too.

Nice job Willie! I'll tell you what I did, I installed the patched drivers and then went back and installed the latest Twinhan Digital TV package over it...and it worked fine. Might wanna try that too.

You are using Windows 7 64 bit, right?

Last edited:
Yes, I am. I know it sounds weird and doesn't make since but it worked for me. It seems like if you just install the raw patched drivers it's missing some component, but when you install the Digital TV package, it works. I couldn't get DVBDream to recognize the card until I installed the Digital TV package, then it worked fine. I still haven't got my dish up to test the signal. I've been either sick or the weather hasn't cooperated.

Yes, I am. I know it sounds weird and doesn't make since but it worked for me. It seems like if you just install the raw patched drivers it's missing some component, but when you install the Digital TV package, it works. I couldn't get DVBDream to recognize the card until I installed the Digital TV package, then it worked fine. I still haven't got my dish up to test the signal. I've been either sick or the weather hasn't cooperated.

I have tried this over and over, but can't get it to work. After disable driver signature enforcement, the DVB-Data app locks onto the TP I am trying to get, but no other program will do it. WMC finds the card but says it can't find any signals and to check my connection. The newest DTV package installed correctly and will run, but when I try to lock a signal using it, it finds nothing. Last night Twinhan DTV looked like it was trying, but the Q was only around 12%, whereas at the same time the Q was around 35% in DVB-Data (the TP at 12061 on AMC4), I don't understand why the two programs from Twinhan are showing such different results. It's nice to get the signal locked in with DVB-Data, but I can't do anything else with that program. It seems like the drivers should be working fine if DVB-Data works with my 1020a, but then why wouldn't any other program work? Am I missing something??

Willie,

That is odd. I wish I could say I've tested mine but I haven't. I worked all day last Wednesday mounting my dishes, and since then have been working everyday so I haven't had a chance to align them and run coax...hopefully I can get to that this week. Unfortunately Twinhan doesn't want to get it together and code a 64-bit driver...why, I have no idea. It definitely sounds like you have a driver issue going on. Maybe we should e-mail Twinhan and request Windows 7 support.

Guys I'm in the same situation as you are, so I got a few questions:

I'm using Windows 7 x64 after installing DTV 3.4 and then reboot with -disable signed drivers I got it recognized in MCE and ProgDVB but I cannot get any channel, I can't even get signal from FastSatFinder so I really would like to get that patched driver you mention in this thread and also a recap about how to install it, if I'm not wrong the way to install it is:

- Patched x64 driver
- DTV 3.4
- Boot in -signed drivers

is this correct?

Guys I'm in the same situation as you are, so I got a few questions:

I'm using Windows 7 x64 after installing DTV 3.4 and then reboot with -disable signed drivers I got it recognized in MCE and ProgDVB but I cannot get any channel, I can't even get signal from FastSatFinder so I really would like to get that patched driver you mention in this thread and also a recap about how to install it, if I'm not wrong the way to install it is:

- Patched x64 driver
- DTV 3.4
- Boot in -signed drivers

is this correct?

I actually did it backwards. I turned off the UAC, installed the Patched x64 driver, and then installed DTV 3.4. Like I said, I can't verify a signal because I have nothing hooked up, but everything is detected and installed properly. I've attached the driver I found on another forum somewhere. I can't take credit for it, nor can I offer any kind of "warranty." Good luck, let me know what you guys find. Hopefully, I can join in on the party soon. I'm about to send Twinhan an e-mail myself.

Attachments

• Twinhan DVB-T x64 Vista Drivers Modified.zip
    54.8 KB · Views: 366
I actually did it backwards. I turned off the UAC, installed the Patched x64 driver, and then installed DTV 3.4.

I got it to work in win7 RTM 32bit. I installed the drivers from TwinhanDTV2.608a.zip (from twinhan site). Then I installed the setup.exe from the package. It did BSOD crash when it tried to install DirectX (try deleting it from the package to avoid BSOD). After it rebooted itself from the crash, I opened DVBdream and chose the Twinhan Direct driver that came with DVBdream. Radio and video channels work! No F8 crap.

Now for 64 bit . . .
My twinhan 102g DVB-s card will not take those DVB-T drivers you posted dashund. . . in fact, all the drivers I have tried get reject by device manager. If I could get the drivers to stick I would run the setup.exe in Vista SP1 or SP2 compatibility mode and if it wouldnt work in DVBdream after that, then I would run setup.exe in XP mode (NOT to be confused with XP compatibility mode). This is a feature only in RTM win7.

So how did you install the driver in win7 64bit?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts