Winegard HD 7697P VHF/UHF/DTV/FM

TxDoc

Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Texas
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I am in NE TX, zip 75503. My digital tv signals are coming from Shreveport, LA. The stations are from 168-169 degrees from me and about 60 miles. I have a 70 foot tower, amplifiers in the house. My ABC, CBS and NBC channels are 3, 6 and 12. Fox is 33 or 34.

I am looking at the HD 7697P, but the specs mention it is mainly for channels 7 and up. HD8200U really best for me?

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD8200U.pdf

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD7697P.pdf

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d249d06742895e8 is a link to my coverage.
Thanks again

Last edited:
I am looking at the HD 7697P, but the specs mention it is mainly for channels 7 and up. HD8200U really best for me?

The only reason to get a 8200U instead of a HD7697P is if you had any RF channels 2-6 after June 12th. You don't, so get the smaller antenna.

Thanks for the fast reply! Since I am a newb...when you say "RF" channel, is that equivalent to an analog channel? Does an RF=analog?

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the fast reply! Since I am a newb...when you say "RF" channel, is that equivalent to an analog channel? Does an RF=analog?

RF means Radio Frequency, or in this case, simply the actual DTV transmitter channel.

DTV channel assignments don't match the classic analog channel numbers.

Just to add, when looking at an antenna you care about the FIRST "channel" column listed, under the "Real" category. For example, Channel 3.1 (corresponding to the station using legacy analog channel 3) has its actual digital signal on RF channel 28. So while you needed an antenna that could pick up VHF Low (RF channels 2-6) to pick up analog 3, you need UHF to pick up digital "virtual" channel 3.1 (RF 28). The only "real" VHF channels you have that can be picked up reliably are 13 and possibly 7. If you don't care about those two, you could get a UHF-only antenna and be done with it.

And also -- if you don't want to deal with a rotator and you want to "lock" the antenna into aiming at the cluster in the 170º-173º direction, ALL of those are UHF (RF 14 and higher), so again, you could choose a UHF-only antenna as well. An HD7697P would be perfectly fine with your situation, but it adds additional bulk to include the VHF reception which you might not need.

The 5 major nets out of Shreveport are all UHF, so you do not need a VHF antenna unless you want KETG - PBS at 62 degrees.

I would recommend the Winegard HD-8800. It has among the best low UHF performance and you have a channel 15, 17, 21 and 24 to pull in.

These are your channels out of Shreveport

KTAL-DT - RF 15 - Virtual 6.1 - NBC
KTBS-DT - RF 21 - Virtual 3.1 - ABC
KMSS-DT - RF 34 - Virtual 33.1 - FOX
KSLA-DT - RF 17 - Virtual 12.1 - CBS
KSHV-DT - RF 44 - Virtual 45.1 - MyN
KPXJ-DT - RF 21 - Virtual 21.1 - CW
KLTS-DT - RF 24 - Virtual 24.1 - PBS very weak signal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)