Winegard Pinnacle 2013 Installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Glad I found this thread, totally haven't been watching close enough! That's a great dish norman, I think you will be very pleased. A once-in-a-lifetime deal you got on it too, looks brand new. I have a 7.5' winegard that I got used but in good condition, and its a nice reflector. They're well-made dishes too.

2 weeks ago

Glad I found this thread, totally haven't been watching close enough! That's a great dish norman, I think you will be very pleased. A once-in-a-lifetime deal you got on it too, looks brand new. I have a 7.5' winegard that I got used but in good condition, and its a nice reflector. They're well-made dishes too.

Thank you turbosat! There is a sports bar 1/4 mile from where I work that has the exact same dish. It's not on the main street, so I have driven past it for 8 years without knowing it was there. There is a picture of it in my first post. I plan on stopping in the bar soon to let them know why I have been circling their parking lot and taking photos a few weekends.

This was my first delay. I forgot to post the photo 2 weekends ago.

Attachments

• set back.JPG
    set back.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Update 3

Between 3 snowstorms and freezing rain, I decided to mount the original Chapparal LNB instead of waiting for the Titanium C1 PLL LNB. The original feed throat cap was brittle to the touch, so I got one on ebay for $5 before I pointed the dish.

Weather permitting, the plan is to tweak the dish on my southern alignment bird (116.8 Satmex 8) next weekend.
My plan is to run a power cord from my garage to the dish and plug in my vbox, receiver, plus small tv next to the dish for solo tweaking.

Here is how it looks so far.

All suggestions and tips are appreciated.

Norman

Attachments

• 100_1560.JPG
    100_1560.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 240
  • 100_1561.JPG
    100_1561.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 231
Best advice I have, is to MOVE those two little trees that are close to the dish, before you are sorry you put the dish there. Do it while they are small.

The tree is a 20 year old Japanese weeping cherry. It is done growing. The pear tree to the front is a dwarf, so it won't block the dish either. We did a lot of research before we picked the spot. Thanks for the input primestar31.

Sincerely,
Norman

My 29 year old actuator died while I was aligning the dish. I am searching for a preferred actuator and/or vendor for a new replacement. It is close to single digits here with a 3 day snowstorm coming. I "may" have to delay until spring, but I plan on continuing the set up until I have to stop.

As always, all suggestions welcome.

Norman

My wife found a Venture Standard Duty 24" Acme Screw Actuator for $149 from Satellitemart.com. It is on the way. I am hoping for one more thaw after it gets here.:)

BITD, I once had to replace an actuator in -20° F. Ball game not to be missed. Stuck the wire inside my jacket while replacing the actuator to make it pliable enough to make the connections. Success, with just a bit of frostbite on a couple of fingers. Should have brought along a knipco heater.
Alternatively: prepare the actuator with a short 'stub' of wire. Wire nut wires together until permanently wiring it up in the spring.

BITD, I once had to replace an actuator in -20° F. Ball game not to be missed. Stuck the wire inside my jacket while replacing the actuator to make it pliable enough to make the connections. Success, with just a bit of frostbite on a couple of fingers. Should have brought along a knipco heater.
Alternatively: prepare the actuator with a short 'stub' of wire. Wire nut wires together until permanently wiring it up in the spring.

Thanks FaTAir,

I had a table set up at the base of my dish to align it before the snowstorm hit. I had my vbox7, Geosatpro 1200 hdvr, and my 7" LCD TV all sitting on the table with 6 foot wires except for the 250ft coax connected to the LNB. I brought everything back inside when the snow started. I will bolt the new actuator to the dish after I test it inside. It will take 3 feet of snow (or my wife) to stop me. :)

2014 Spring Update

New items received during the winter:

1) QARL Actuator
2) Titanium ASC1 Controller
3) C1 PLL LNB
4) 150 feet of ¾ inch PVC

In between snow and other weather, I set up a table with a TV, HDVR1200, and the ASC1, directly behind the dish. The dish stayed locked on my true south sat most of the winter. (SatMex 8) Lots of Sochi coverage.

This spring, the table and equipment were set up again. The original C/Ku LNB was replaced with the C1PLL. 58W through 139W are now programmed into the ASC1 and my HDVR1200. My actuator is 2 clicks from the minimum limit on 58W, so no 55W or 53W.

My wife is having sprinkler lines installed. The guy doing the sprinklers is a former electrician and agreed to run my cables to the house. He will be pulling the coax and my ASC1 wires through the PVC today.

The installation “should” be complete this weekend.

A special thanks to FaT Air for the link on pushing the dish and rotating the pole. Big help for 58W-83W!

Here are pictures from my temporary set up station parked on 87W and the cable run trench .

Thanks to you all for your help, comments and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Norman

Attachments

• 2014-04-28_09.49.59.jpg
    2014-04-28_09.49.59.jpg
    764 KB · Views: 215
  • 87W.jpg
    87W.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Looking great!

What wiring are you pulling through the PVC run? Using 12 - 14 gauge for the motor? How many sensor and control wires? Gauge? Shielded for the sensor circuit?

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Looking great!

What wiring are you pulling through the PVC run? Using 12 - 14 gauge for the motor? How many sensor and control wires? Gauge? Shielded for the sensor circuit?

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Thanks Brian!

14 gauge stranded pair for the motor and 18 gauge stranded pair (and shielded) wire for the sensors. I actually used 200 feet of both wire from the base of my dish when I was setting up the arc, just to make sure there were not any issues. I'm only going to use 150 feet of each when done.

:up :up Nice looking dish install. Give yourself a 'pat on the back'. Have fun watching all those C band birds.
Run some spare wires/coax's if possible. One never knows, if there's trouble, or the desire to add something 'down the road' happens.
PVC is a good idea considering the rock in the soil.

:up :up Nice looking dish install. Give yourself a 'pat on the back'. Have fun watching all those C band birds.
Run some spare wires/coax's if possible. One never knows, if there's trouble, or the desire to add something 'down the road' happens.
PVC is a good idea considering the rock in the soil.

Thank you for the compliment and all of your help. The guy is going to run 2 extra strands of the twine that he uses to pull the wire. This gives me 2 rescue strands to replace the wire or the coax if/when needed.:)

Thank you for the compliment and all of your help. The guy is going to run 2 extra strands of the twine that he uses to pull the wire. This gives me 2 rescue strands to replace the wire or the coax if/when needed.:)

The "secret" in using a pulling rope to pull through an additional cable later, is to ALSO pull through a new pulling rope at the same time! It doesn't take anything extra to connect one to the new coax or whatever you are pulling through. I prefer small diameter yellow nylon rope.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts