Wineguard Dish Fell

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Phalaenopsis

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2017
NA
Earlier this week, my wineguard 76cm fell with my tripod on the cement and it got bent. I did the concrete test and it’s perfect, but the outer rim is bent. Is this a problem, and if so how can I fix it?

It has play when it lays on the concrete, but It passes the string test. I needed to arrange the strings in a particular order to make them line up.
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG

I... It passes the string test. I needed to arrange the strings in a particular order to make them line up.

Could you elaborate how you mean that, how you did that?
It puzzles me highly.

It reads like you have to rearrange the order of the strings (which one is higher and which one is lower above the dish) to get them touching, and that doesn't sound good.
But maybe I don't understand well what you meant.

greetz,
A33

Could you elaborate how you mean that, how you did that?
It puzzles me highly.

It reads like you have to rearrange the order of the strings (which one is higher and which one is lower above the dish) to get them touching, and that doesn't sound good.
But maybe I don't understand well what you meant.

greetz,
A33

Well, at first the string going from top to bottom was under the side to side string, but then I switched them around and set the top to bottom on top and the side to side on bottom

Sorry if I’m confusing you.

Put it back up, aim it at a sat that you've watched before, and see what signal and quality level you now get. If it then seems workable, don't do anything else to it.

I don’t have a receiver right now, but I straightened it out. It took me 2 hours. I did the chest procedure and used weights. I bent the outer rim, but is that a problem? Anyway, it passed the string test. Never put your dish on a tripod without sufficient weights.
Image1520106797.019314.jpg
Image1520106809.657452.jpg
Image1520106829.161451.jpg
Image1520106842.902769.jpg

Well, at first the string going from top to bottom was under the side to side string, but then I switched them around and set the top to bottom on top and the side to side on bottom

Either way they should touch.
If in any way there is a gap, the dish fails the string test.
However, then, a bit of carefull pulling of the backward parts to the front could bring improvement....

greetz,
A33

Either way they should touch.
If in any way there is a gap, the dish fails the string test.
However, then, a bit of carefull pulling of the backward parts to the front could bring improvement....

greetz,
A33

It’s a perfect parabola now, but the edges are bent. Is that a problem.

I got offered a 90cm Satellite and I don’t know if it’s worth getting. Here the picture I got sent of it View attachment 131670
Looks pretty good to me... and it's almost certainly better than a previously-bent 76cm...

Now, about the original post and your efforts at repairing the damage... Made me wonder... is the string test even valid on an offset dish? I mean, a prime-focus dish is usually expected to be symmetrical in all directions around its center, but an offset can really be any shape (like the primestar dishes, and also the Muzak dish that I have is a weird shape, and would definitely not pass a string test unless the strings are set in perfect symmetry to its vertical axis). I guess a "standard" offset dish might be shaped so that its rim is all in the same plane. In that case, an easy test (easier than the strings) is to simply put the dish face-down on a flat surface (that you know is really flat)

Looks pretty good to me... and it's almost certainly better than a previously-bent 76cm...

Now, about the original post and your efforts at repairing the damage... Made me wonder... is the string test even valid on an offset dish? I mean, a prime-focus dish is usually expected to be symmetrical in all directions around its center, but an offset can really be any shape (like the primestar dishes, and also the Muzak dish that I have is a weird shape, and would definitely not pass a string test unless the strings are set in perfect symmetry to its vertical axis). I guess a "standard" offset dish might be shaped so that its rim is all in the same plane. In that case, an easy test (easier than the strings) is to simply put the dish face-down on a flat surface (that you know is really flat)

Mines almost flat while lying on the ground. But, according to previous threads the string test is valid if it isn’t a elliptical dish.

Reactions: Brct203
Indeed, the best test is to check the Quality % with a receiver.
If you do not have receiver now, there is another way to check the dish's geometry.
Instead of strings, one can use small round mirrors, dia 3/4" or smaller (they can be bought in craft store).
Sunny weather is needed, too...
One mirror should be glued approximately in the centre of dish (using thin two sided tape).
The dish should be directed towards Sun - so the reflection of the central mirror is seen on the LNBF's "face".
Another mirror, pressed with 2 fingers on its edges, could be run (shifted) on other parts of the dish.
If the dish is not distorted, the reflection from the movable mirror should cover (or be very close) to the
reflection from the central mirror.

well on a non pen direct tv mount we would use 6 - 8 in. x 8 in. x 16 in. Concrete Block. 38lbs each.
so 180lbs im sure you will be fine.

Reactions: Phalaenopsis
Oh... I thought you mentioned the weight to flatten the dish. I have three more bricks but I was stupid and thought three were enough, untill this happened.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)