Wireless Access Point 2

peggy97850

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Western US
Anyone know the difference between the original access point & the new version (other than the red H3 stripe)? Can't find any info & wonder if it works any better with H3, my first gen AP has nightly update issues (loses connection & updates at 1 am, just like old Hopper w/Sling).

Anyone know the difference between the original access point & the new version (other than the red H3 stripe)? Can't find any info & wonder if it works any better with H3, my first gen AP has nightly update issues (loses connection & updates at 1 am, just like old Hopper w/Sling).
Only difference is size and design of the plastic cover.

Is this wireless access point you refer to the wireless Joey system?
Anyway, I thought all the Hoppers, including my 3, did an update and restart every night usually around 3 am PDST for mine. Going to a wired Joey shouldn't gain you anything, wouldn't you still get the restart?

Is this wireless access point you refer to the wireless Joey system?
Anyway, I thought all the Hoppers, including my 3, did an update and restart every night usually around 3 am PDST for mine. Going to a wired Joey shouldn't gain you anything, wouldn't you still get the restart?
My wired Joey doesn't abruptly show a black screen & reboot/lose wireless connection at 1 am every few nights - my wireless Joey does. Dish has not found a way to stop it from happening. Started about 8 months ago after a software update, before that worked fine with H3, no nightly updates.

My wired Joey doesn't abruptly show a black screen & reboot/lose wireless connection at 1 am every few nights - my wireless Joey does. Dish has not found a way to stop it from happening. Started about 8 months ago after a software update, before that worked fine with H3, no nightly updates.
Your H3 always has nightly updates, as do all Hoppers. Wired and Wireless Joeys will both (as both mine do) go black since they are extensions of the Hopper. You maybe just haven't noticed before. Nothing going on out of the ordinary from what you describe.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Wired Joey never updates while watching (& I almost always watch at 1 am), Wireless one goes to abrupt black screen & then reboots. Have had H3 since 2/2016 & this behavior is something different, have never seen old nightly update on either H3 or Joey 2 since installation, it's always updated in background.

I have a wireless joey with the AP2 I have never been interrupted watching tv , it waits until I shut it off before updating.
That's why I was thinking about getting AP2, seems like there must be something different vs my AP1, just can't find any info to verify.

I know it's not supposed to be giving me a black screen at 1 am, it's almost like the wireless Joey doesn't know the guide is updating since it only does it every 3 days. (Yes I shut it off so it can update).

That's why I was thinking about getting AP2, seems like there must be something different vs my AP1, just can't find any info to verify.

I know it's not supposed to be giving me a black screen at 1 am, it's almost like the wireless Joey doesn't know the guide is updating since it only does it every 3 days. (Yes I shut it off so it can update).
Your guide updates more than every 3 days, it updates every time you shut off your receiver and even when your receiver is on.

But if it's not "turned off" to update every 3 days it forces a guide update, right? That's the only explanation I can think of since it only goes to the abrupt black screen/disconnect/update every 3rd night. I've talked to Dirt & tried everything, they have no more suggestions. Been dealing with this since October (I own this WJ & hub so that's why I was considering buying the AP2). Cheaper to just buy another wired Joey & set it up myself if AP2 won't do anything different - can't seem to get an answer since even Dish site still shows old AP1.

But if it's not "turned off" to update every 3 days it forces a guide update, right? That's the only explanation I can think of since it only goes to the abrupt black screen/disconnect/update every 3rd night. I've talked to Dirt & tried everything, they have no more suggestions. Been dealing with this since October (I own this WJ & hub so that's why I was considering buying the AP2). Cheaper to just buy another wired Joey & set it up myself if AP2 won't do anything different - can't seem to get an answer since even Dish site still shows old AP1.
The 3 day limit isn't guide data, it's firmware updates.

I see your point if you have a coax already set up yes I would go that route instead of guessing.

Been frustrating trying to get an answer as to why it worked perfectly for months & then started with the black screen/lost connection crap, Dish suggested everything I had already tried (thanks Sat Guys, I've learned a lot). I still think it's a software issue since it only became a problem after an Oct update. Found AP2 on eBay for $54, less than Dish wanted, so guess I'll be the tester.
Anyone need an AP1? :)

Last edited:
Sorry I couldn't help more but there's one more idea I just got, Unplug everything start with the joey then the AP then the receiver. Wait 10 minutes and plug everything back in starting with the H3 see what that does. That's all I got.:D

Been frustrating trying to get an answer as to why it worked perfectly for months & then started with the black screen/lost connection crap, Dish suggested everything I had already tried (thanks Sat Guys, I've learned a lot). I still think it's a software issue since it only became a problem after an Oct update. Found AP2 on eBay for $54, less than Dish wanted, so guess I'll be the tester.
Anyone need an AP1? :)
I seen that AP2 on ebay you don't have to activate a AP so used will do to. Good luck

Tried that along with resetting to default, resetting network, etc. None of the logical things have had any effect, maybe the updated AP2 will make a difference. Another person had same problem & said getting AP2 got rid of black screen reboot so I'm willing to try it, $54 is OK if it works, will see.
Thanks, isn't tech troubleshooting fun :)

Tried that along with resetting to default, resetting network, etc. None of the logical things have had any effect, maybe the updated AP2 will make a difference. Another person had same problem & said getting AP2 got rid of black screen reboot so I'm willing to try it, $54 is OK if it works, will see.
Thanks, isn't tech troubleshooting fun :)
I don't like people having problems but 1 of the reasons I'm here is to learn and help if I can. Follow up if you can id like to hear how it turns out.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)