Wireless Cinema Connection Kit (On Demand)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Some info from DirecTV tonight on the new Wireless Cinema Connection Kit (for adding On Demand / internet to receivers):

The kit is now shipping for self install and is available for professional install.
I am told that they have moved through all of the wired kit inventory, and anything shipping now should be the wireless kit.

For customers that have WholeHomeDVR and SWiM setups, the wireless kit is only $25 plus $7.95 for shipping via the account equipment page. That is a pretty good price compared to what I would have expected. Looking at the new customer options when ordering via directv.com today, the cinema connection kit is free with an HD-DVR order on the web.

For customers without whole home and SWM, it is a little more costly and they recomend having it installed, but do offer the self-install option. General pricing looks like $79 for the adapter kit and $49 for professional install, but I could be wrong on that. Perhaps someone without SWM can post the price shown on their account for us. (Equipment page, Cinema Connection Kit) They did not confirm that pricing, or I missed it. Situations like a single receiver environment can just hookup the wireless adapter to the ethernet port. Legacy systems could need multiple kits, so a whole-home dvr upgrade with the wireless kit would be the prefered offering.

Obviously the cheaper option is for customers with existing swm setups, and older setups cost more to upgrade. That said, the older a setup the more likely an account has options for a CSR to offer better pricing on the equipment upgrades.

The adapter itself is a simple wireless bridge that can run via an ethernet or a coax (DECA) connection. It is designed to setup it up and forget it, it "just works".

At this point the biggest challenge remains customers that don't understand wireless networking, or installers that don't. I'm sure Directv will have some basic training or FAQ type things for installers / tech support personel, but in no way are they receiving full-on networking training. But hey, that is why we are here :)

If you don't have on-demand because you couldn't get ethernet to the receiver, or have whole-home but never hooked a DECA to your network, now is the time to join in. Now they just need to keep growing that on-demand library.

DIRECTV DIRECTV CINEMA

Several pictures available here:
New DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit FCC Filing - Engadget Galleries

Curtis, does it give you an install option if you add it to cart, I would appreciate you checking that price.

Thanks

Jason - Adapter & Pro Install is $25 + $49 = $74 Total

Do you have whole home DVR or just an SWM setup?

They said existing customers with whole home dvr already it is only $25, plus $7 shipping or $49 pro install.

For customers without whole home dvr, or perhpas just without SWM (which is why I'm asking), it is $79 plus shipping or install.

Sounds like a good deal and looks like it is very simple to hook up which for a blind guy works out very good... CC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)