Wiring for Dummies? toroid/multi/D* ACK!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robo456

Original poster
May 16, 2005
Hey all... I need a little advice on how to wire this bad boy up... currently I have a Wave Frontier T55 toroidal dish setup with 101W for DirecTV going to a Terk BMS-58 5x8 switch, and 110/119 for D*sh running thru a DisQue setup..

I would like to convert to a 100% DirecTV setup so I can start watching HD programming. I've picked up the special 'reversed' LNB i need for the 110, but I'm a little lost as to how to 'combine' the signals.

Right now, the 101 and 119 LNBs has two cable outputs, and the 110 has a single. From what I was reading, I need to combine the 110 and 119 and hook that up to the Sat B 18V input on the Terk, but wasn't sure if I could use a diplexer for that, or if I'd actually need a 2x2 switch to do so? Also, do I need to use both outputs of the 119? Or only for the 101?

I've been trying to find someone with my setup to compare, but haven't had any luck yet... if anyone could help me out, I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks!!

--rob

I don't have a wave frontier dish but I do have a phase II dish with 3 separate LNBs. I connect the 2 101s to the switch. I connect the 110 to the 119 using a B/C combiner then to the switch. And the 4th connection is the 119 alone.

You should be able to fine a combiner somewhere. I don't know if it is a diplexer since it came with the 110 LNB I didn't have to buy one.

*ED*

I have only seen them packaged with SAT-C upgrade kits. But maybe one of the sites has more info on what it is. Search for SAT-B/SAT-C Combiner.

I have only seen them packaged with SAT-C upgrade kits. But maybe one of the sites has more info on what it is. Search for SAT-B/SAT-C Combiner.

***EDIT***
Actually DirecTV will ship me a SAT-C upgrade kit for free (heh, plus 8$ shipping), so I believe I can use the combiner from that with my existing hardware and be all set! Thanks again for the reply!

--rob

That's actually where I bought it. :) It appears the step that I was missing for the most part was the "combiner"...

Thanks!

--rob

Was hoping you would find some help from the link.
I had only skimmed it previously as interest is growing on these set-ups.

The site is somewhat limited on info. but most of the basics can be found there.

Glad to see it was somewhat useful for you ..

I have to say, I think it's a really great product, the toroids...

I was experimenting with FTA for a while so having the multiple LNBs was great. My wife wouldn't allow me to have a dish-farm, so, hehe, having the D* on the same dish was great. Even better, the signal capture is GREAT! FTA i was pulling in high 80's low 90's for signal, and d* was pinned at 97!

I'll keep you guys posted on my conversion progress!

**EDIT**
I'm not sure about pricing compared to other vendors, but when you buy direct, you tell them what birds you want, and they supply you with ALL of the calculated values/positions, which is nice as well!

--rob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts