Wondering about Olympics coverage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

WEC4104

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
I am curious what we might expect to find in the way of Olympics coverage, beyond the standard network coverage. I would think that there must be C band feeds, but unfortunately I'm only set up for Ku. Anybody recall any past Winter or Summer Olympics and what kind of satellite action there might have been for those?

I am curious what we might expect to find in the way of Olympics coverage, beyond the standard network coverage. I would think that there must be C band feeds, but unfortunately I'm only set up for Ku. Anybody recall any past Winter or Summer Olympics and what kind of satellite action there might have been for those?

Try the Anik satellites..111.1 and 107..I'm watching feeds on Anik F2 111.1 ..C-Band in S2..There should be feeds in Ku also...give it a try.

Watching this post and scanning for KU also.
Was watching streaming on my computer today, CTV torch relay. CTV.CA

So far, I'm pretty much coming up empty on the Ku band. Have tried known NBC news feed locations, as well as blind scans of several birds. Nada.

According to a few friends that are working the event, the majority of feeds are on fiber out of the venues.

A few KU trucks for local stand-ups and a few network feeds. Much of the KU is S2 format.

For those folks living in border states with Canada, Remote Central can be your friend in catching Olympics via OTA. CBC, CTV, NBC are said to be very good in covering Canadian sport events almost 24/7 in high quality HD on OTA. But its raining in Vancouver. :)

Last edited:
Also OMNI TV on OTA.

And if you can't catch it on OTA, may be you can watch it on the web :):

CTV Olympics
CBC Olympics

"This time around, viewers can expect to see a few technical advances in the way some events are presented. New gadgets include so-called “helmet cams,” designed to grab unique perspectives on ski cross and snowboard cross, and “DartFish” technology, which captures ghost images of select performances in alpine, bobsled, skeleton and luge for comparison.

In hockey, a hydraulic lift system will bring analysts out over the ice before and after the game and during intermissions, making it seem as if they are floating over the arena."

"In the States 5 HD channels are carrying Olympic events:

NBC HD - OTA, Cable, DBS, Fiber, IPTV
MSNBC HD - Cable, DBS, Fiber, IPTV
CNBC HD - Cable, DBS, Fiber, IPTV
USA HD - Cable, DBS, Fiber, IPTV
Universal HD - Cable, DBS, Fiber, IPTV"

US HDSports Guide: Olympics HD SChedule

Last edited:
olympic feeds on 72

Howdy --

I am getting NBC on 72W -- there is also NBC HD on 103 - but I can't get my Prof 7500 to lock on the the S2 signals.

Scott
Ithaca, NY

May be you can try to pick your dish more precisely or use a bigger dish & more sensitive LNB & decrease signal losses in your delivery system? The card should be OK for that.

Also in canada cable only networks like APTN, RSN, V, RDS, TSN and a couple more in French carry some coverage of the games. Bell TV subscribers also have 24x7 access to 5 Olympic feeds (back in Beijing it was only 2 , at this rate in a few years there will be more feeds than Gold medals won by Canada, lol) from up to 9 venues. They are available in both formats , SD and HD. Basically the raw feed with the venue audio (PA system included) without commentators nor ads. Pretty much like if you were there. No other pay tv provider has had such coverage. Like the other providers Bell also has the 6 screen mosaic.

According to a few friends that are working the event, the majority of feeds are on fiber out of the venues.

A few KU trucks for local stand-ups and a few network feeds. Much of the KU is S2 format.
Does that mean if a channel broadcaster's facility is in another city or state, the feeds are transferred encrypted via a public internet fiber cable backbone land line?

I'm not sure to understand it. Local sport events can be reported from just about anywhere in NA. Does that mean, sport networks rent dedicated lines on a common fiber backbone grid delivering internet throughout North America (parts of which are also privately owned by major backbone operators)? Or they run own private fiber lines connecting only major cities around the US where covered sports events usually occur?

no more feeds on 72

The feeds on 72 were gone yesterday. I will keep looking and will tweak the dish for S2 as soon as the weather changes.

Thanks

For a while last night I had coverage from NBC, CTV, Omni's 1 & 2 and V. The last 3 were all foreign language commentary, but they were all pretty much covering different events.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)