Wood Railing Blocking Signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Maybe just the quality of the pics,but it looks to me like you need to get the hammer and dolly out and do some more bodywork.With ku a little wrinkle can mean a lot of lost signal.Oh,and unlike a fender,bondo won't fix it. :D

edit;Unless it's a really short run, the rg59 probably isn't helping you out a whole lot either.

Last edited:
It's not the picture quality. You should have seen the dish before I banged the cavernous dent out!

I don't plan to spend much more time with this dish. I may have one more go to aim it at 125W and leave it. But that's a challenge at just 11 degrees elevation. I might try turning the dish over with LNB arm on the top of the dish as Pixl did to receive 15W since my mounting arrangement won't allow me to drop the dish that low. If I find 125W, I'm locking it down and keeping it there. The dish will then have earned its keep.

It's only about 25 feet of RG-59. In theory, this is only a dB or so of extra loss over RG-6.

Has anyone ever thought your avatar is you and hit on you via a PM?
No, but one time I had Lacey from Flyleaf on there, and I got a PM asking if that was me, had I thought about doing TV professionally! :eek:
lacey2.jpg:D

Once I was able to get a solid quality reading with dish peaked as best I could, I "tuned" the LNB arm for maximum received signal. I did what one should never due to a fine dish. I yanked, twisted, pulled, stepped on and kicked the LNB arm into position. Here's the final reading:
View attachment 76835

For now, I'm satisfied with this Coolsat 7000 reading. I never saw any higher reading at any time while abusing the arm. I reinstalled the new LNB holder. Placing the LNB a little lower and pushed forward gave best reading in the end. Now I'll see if I can get any other sats.

That's actually not too bad for a damaged dish. :)

If I had a bowling ball, I'd sell and go buy a new dish. I think life is too short to play with this dish. Results are not repeatable. After moving off AMC 9, I can't find AMC 9 again.

If I had a bowling ball, I'd sell and go buy a new dish. I think life is too short to play with this dish. Results are not repeatable. After moving off AMC 9, I can't find AMC 9 again.

Cyberham it looks like you have a real nice place there by the creek. I live in the city but grew up in the country. My gf is a city girl and refuses to move out to the country. I would leave the city in a New York minute if I could. :)

I've lived in the city and the country several times. The city's too noisy; the country's too quiet. What I really want is a country lot with no trees or neighbours on the south side and with reasonable access to a major city. And a pension so I can play with satellite stuff all day.

Yes, it is. I was worried there might be something like a "railing shadow" phenomenon where the dish effective surface area was being reduced. But the culprit seems to simply have been an out-of-alignment LNB arm. Once I physically manipulated it back to position, I was able to catch 57% from AMC 9. When weather improves, I'll take my portable palette dish down to the backyard and try to aim it permanently at 125W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts