Wood Railing Blocking Signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
See attached photo. Do you think this wood railing would attenuate the received signal? I am finding that AMC 9 at 83W (one of my most southerly sats at 35 degree elevation) is only about 30% quality with dish peaked. On my main dish, AMC 9 is always 60%+. In addition, I was not able to receive any other sats with the new dish besides AMC 9. Something is very wrong. I'm hoping it is a simple matter of getting a new length of RG-6 since I was temporarily using some RG-59 of unknown quality.
DSC04677.JPG
Added: I should mention that I had to install the LNB in a strange way since the 3/4" LNB holder I bought does not fit the 1 1/4" wide LNB arm. As a result, the LNB is probably a little too low and too close to the metal arm. However, I tried holding the LNB where I think it should really be for the dish and saw no improvement.
DSC04678.JPG

Last edited:
I'd say no. From the angle in the pic, the dish is "seeing" a decent bit above the railing, since an offset dish actually has a look angle higher than it seems, by looking at where it's pointing.

This is what I thought and why I tested using the highest linear sat I can receive. I also tried sliding the palette back several feet and even moved the whole assembly forward so the LNB arm was sticking through the vertical railing, but saw no change in received signal strength. My, but you seem to have a lot of "daughters" judging by all the different avatars I see.

I agree that the railing isn't a factor.

Looks like you have 2 different brand dishes of the same size (1m)? Did those 2 dishes produce similar quality numbers on the same tps before you did the LNBF switch?

I'm thinking you got very good numbers with the Geosat LNBF on your main dish, so the problem now is probably LNBF placement.

I would say the LNB holder is on the wrong side of the arm. The LNB is not seeing the sweet spot on the dish correctly, causing low quality signal.

More history. The reason I have two 1-metre dishes is that I bought a second after this Ariza dish was blown over in a wind storm, breaking the LNB holder, cracking the case of its original LNB and denting the dish (perhaps also bending the LNB arm a little). Prior to that misadventure, this dish worked well but it was mounted in a better location with absolutely nothing in its view at that time right over to 125W. Now is the first time I'm trying this dish since it was damaged. It is very possible the LNB arm is a little out of position in addition to the LNB now being mounted a little off position. I banged out the dish dent as well as I could, but the dish may be slightly out of shape.

I just turned the LNB mounting bolt over so it is no longer protruding up into the LNB view toward the dish. No change in signal by doing so.

Last edited:
I would say the LNB holder is on the wrong side of the arm...
Yes, it is on the wrong side of the arm since it doesn't fit the arm. This is the danger of buying a part from 3700 miles away from your supplier. I will try to find the correct holder from my local supplier where I bought the dish. You may very well be right in your analysis.

Yes, it is on the wrong side of the arm since it doesn't fit the arm. This is the danger of buying a part from 3700 miles away from your supplier. I will try to find the correct holder from my local supplier where I bought the dish. You may very well be right in your analysis.

use a hack saw and cut the sides off the lnb holder....this will allow it to mount flush on top of the arm, where it should be

Each manufacture has the LNBF holder that is unique in the angle and height that the LNBF is placed. If you still have pieces of the broken holder, compare the LNBF placement and angle then try and replicate.

The dish can be string tested to determine if it was bent, but you will need to verify with the dish provider or compare to a same model to see if the dish arm offset angle was bent. Check with measurements from side to side to determine if the arm is centered on the reflector.

I salvaged enough of the old LNB holder to install it in the correct position with the LNB positioned with a little help of black masking tape. This position of the LNB provides maximum signal level (0% quality so far with this LNB position) by moving dish. I tried the string test and I was surprised the results aren't too bad. I don't think the dish is warped, and the LNB arm seems to be basically where it should be. The dish is a little wrinkled from my work of banging out the dent received when the dish fell forward in a wind storm and the motor pushed into the back of the dish.

At this point, I've lost all quality from AMC 9. Signal seemed to be better when the LNB was in the former "wrong" position. That's not a good sign.
DSC04681.JPGDSC04680.JPGDSC04683.JPG

Added: Hmm...looking at the LNB in the second photo, it does seem kind of too far to the right, doesn't it? This photo was taken directly in front of the dish face.

I tried the LNB in every position with this original holder. This position seemed to give best signal level which I know doesn't mean much. In this holder, I've not found any quality yet.

Thanks for opinion, Magic Static. I did replace it months ago. Now I'm playing with my junk, like this bent dish, 'cuz I want a second dish but I'm a little too cheap to buy another.

My SL2 Bullet LNB had to be pushed forward a little in order to get the best signal on my 4' dish. Those LNB's are very good, so I know that isn't your problem.

When I look at the two photos you posted of the two LNB holders, the angle of the LNB on the old one looks to me like it is pointing too far down on the dish.

Anyhow, you might try this. Go back to your new replacement LNB holder, but strap it to the left side of the LNB arm (like an off-centre LNB) and see what signals you get then.

Once I was able to get a solid quality reading with dish peaked as best I could, I "tuned" the LNB arm for maximum received signal. I did what one should never due to a fine dish. I yanked, twisted, pulled, stepped on and kicked the LNB arm into position. Here's the final reading:
DSC04684.JPG

For now, I'm satisfied with this Coolsat 7000 reading. I never saw any higher reading at any time while abusing the arm. I reinstalled the new LNB holder. Placing the LNB a little lower and pushed forward gave best reading in the end. Now I'll see if I can get any other sats.

This is what I thought and why I tested using the highest linear sat I can receive. I also tried sliding the palette back several feet and even moved the whole assembly forward so the LNB arm was sticking through the vertical railing, but saw no change in received signal strength. My, but you seem to have a lot of "daughters" judging by all the different avatars I see.
:D ...Some of them are singers or actresses, others are people I know, but my daughters and wife said "don't put ME on there" :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts