Worst Sports League?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Football - tailgating in the parking lot...Montana to Rice - to the end zone...waking up Sunday morning, looking at the schedule for the 1:00 games...Revis Island...the constant excellence of the Patriots...Showtime's Inside the NFL...a Devin Hester kick or punt return...DeSean Jackson in the open field...playoff overtime...the nicknames (Purple People Eaters, Orange Crush, Gang Green, Big Blue, the Monsters of the Midway, the Steel Curtain, the Fearsome Foursome, the New York Sack Exchange, Air Coryell, America's Team, the Hogs, the Dawg Pound, etc.)...Elway in the two minute drill...the 46 defense...your team winning a playoff game in the same building where they were totally embarassed not long before...the devotion of fans to their team...the draft, where hope springs eternal...cheerleaders (I threw that in for you guys!)...Noll to Cowher to Tomlin...the Rooneys and the Maras...games played in the snow globe...NFL Sunday Ticket...Andrew Siciliano and the Red Zone channel...the rookie from Neverheardof State that comes takes the league by storm evey year...rivalries...a perfectly executed screen pass...the Coors Light commercials with Herm Edwards, Marv Levy, etc...the Peyton Manning commercials...Monday Night Football...Brady and Manning...David Tyree's catch...Lynn Swann's catch...fourth and goal...the reverance for Jim Brown...the Immaculate Reception...the intensity of Mike Singletary...that hit on Reggie Bush...your dad getting emotional when talking about the 1969 Super Bowl...

Sandra
Which is why football, too, needs to be played during the day. Night games take away from that allure you mentioned.

Hockey and Basketball are played indoors and night or day does not matter. You do not get that same allure, as if you are part of the field, that you get with football and baseball. Which is probably one reason why I prefer football and baseball over any other sport.

Which is why football, too, needs to be played during the day. Night games take away from that allure you mentioned.

Hockey and Basketball are played indoors and night or day does not matter. You do not get that same allure, as if you are part of the field, that you get with football and baseball. Which is probably one reason why I prefer football and baseball over any other sport.

Day/night...whatever. You're entitled to your opinion. I like the sport. Period.

Sandra

JEESH you guys are depressing me!!!

Let's flip the switch...here is what I LOVE about the sports.

Baseball first - a timeless sport played in some cases in cathedrals that date back generations, ...the gloriousness of walking out into a stadium and seeing all that amazing green grass...Yankees/Red Sox in a pennant race - or in the playoffs...'Enter Sandman' starts playing, the outfield wall opens, and number 42 starts jogging toward the mound to an ovation that makes it seem like the stadium is shaking...Big Papi at the plate, two men on, two men out, trailing by a run late in the game...Roy Halladay pitching another gem...the classic interlocking NY...knowing that your father's father's father enjoyed the same sport...old footage of Pete Rose and Roberto Clemente, Nolan Ryan and Bob Gibson...Ted Williams hitting .400...being able to watch each and every game that is on TV...reading old box scores...looking in the paper and seeing Lincecum vs. Lee...the Giants win the pennant!...reading about what the major leagues were like in the 1800's...Kirk Gibson's home run...the late, great, Strike Zone Channel...the insanity that will happen if Ethier gets anywhere near Dimaggio...holding hands with your dad walking into the stadium, especially when he's not here anymore...

More sports to come...

Sandra

Football - tailgating in the parking lot...Montana to Rice - to the end zone...waking up Sunday morning, looking at the schedule for the 1:00 games...Revis Island...the constant excellence of the Patriots...Showtime's Inside the NFL...a Devin Hester kick or punt return...DeSean Jackson in the open field...playoff overtime...the nicknames (Purple People Eaters, Orange Crush, Gang Green, Big Blue, the Monsters of the Midway, the Steel Curtain, the Fearsome Foursome, the New York Sack Exchange, Air Coryell, America's Team, the Hogs, the Dawg Pound, etc.)...Elway in the two minute drill...the 46 defense...your team winning a playoff game in the same building where they were totally embarassed not long before...the devotion of fans to their team...the draft, where hope springs eternal...cheerleaders (I threw that in for you guys!)...Noll to Cowher to Tomlin...the Rooneys and the Maras...games played in the snow globe...NFL Sunday Ticket...Andrew Siciliano and the Red Zone channel...the rookie from Neverheardof State that comes takes the league by storm evey year...rivalries...a perfectly executed screen pass...the Coors Light commercials with Herm Edwards, Marv Levy, etc...the Peyton Manning commercials...Monday Night Football...Brady and Manning...David Tyree's catch...Lynn Swann's catch...fourth and goal...the reverance for Jim Brown...the Immaculate Reception...the intensity of Mike Singletary...that hit on Reggie Bush...your dad getting emotional when talking about the 1969 Super Bowl...

Sandra

Sandra, you are emotionally killing me!! :river :)

I still remember walking into Fenway for the first time in 1974 with my Dad....The Monster, the green grass, Yaz, Tiant! :)

Also, I like to think the 2004 World Series is the emotional sports memory my daughter has of me (most of that emotion was my Dad not being there to see it). :(

Basketball - a no-look pass from Magic Johnson...Chamberlain vs. Russell...throbbing arenas during the playoffs...the ferocity of Amare Stoudemire...Rip Hamilton moving without the ball...Ray Allen's sweet stroke...Havlicek stole the ball!...Jeff Van Gundy diving and grabbing the leg of a Heat player and holding on for dear life...Jack Nicholson in the front row...cheerleaders (another one for you guys!)...female referees...Marv Albert saying YES!...Derek Fisher getting to the game at halftime because he flew in from being at the doctor with his daughter, and winning the game in the second half for the Jazz...wondering if a guy like Jimmer Fredette can make it in the NBA...hating (but admiring) Larry Bird...the reverance New York has for the 1969 Knicks...the NBA draft...and NBA draft lottery...Beat LA!...Kareem Abdul Jabbar (I just love saying it)...the Miami Heat letting the crowd sing the National Anthem for game two...Lakers vs. Celtics...the run and gun Warriors of a few years ago...laughing at pics of the shorty shorts of 25 years ago...big games at the Garden...and the Gah-den...Stockton and Malone working the pick and roll to perfection...old video of Doctor J and David Thompson...new video of Blake Griffin and Dwight Howard...looking at Steve Nash and wondering how on earth he could win multiple MVP awards...Spike Lee rooting on the Knicks...the Pistons announcer saying 'Detroit BASKETBALL!'...your dad telling you about Willis Reed limping onto the court after game seven NBA Finals warmups had started, the whole arena stopping, the crowd exploding, Willis hits the first two jumpers, doesn't even play much the rest of the game, but by sheer will he leads the Knicks to the championship...

Sandra

LOL!!:p

My argument was always a "perfect storm" scenario.

Scenario: The Red Sox, Pats, B's and C's are ALL champions/championship contenders consistently. MY opinion of the pecking order:
1. Red Sox
2. Bruins
3. Patriots
4. Celtics

This is a hockey area ready to BURST at the seams if the Bruins go all the way, and whether we agree with it or not, the masses make this a Red Sox area all the way.

Like usual we will disagree on this. :D

The 2007 Patriots galvanized the region like I've never seen before or since. (yes a perfect storm on undefeated regular season and the spygate BS).

1. Patriots
2. Red So:mad:Maybe 1 in the city itself, but that is not the whole region)
3. Celtics
4. Bruins( should be higher, but the "Orr Fans" are getting really old, and the ownership sucks)

Like usual we will disagree on this. :D

The 2007 Patriots galvanized the region like I've never seen before or since. (yes a perfect storm on undefeated regular season and the spygate BS).

1. Patriots
2. Red So:mad:Maybe 1 in the city itself, but that is not the whole region)
3. Celtics
4. Bruins( should be higher, but the "Orr Fans" are getting really old, and the ownership sucks)
If anything I think the '01 Pats ( I nearly broke my hand in celebration during SB 36) and especially the '04 Red Sox galvanized the area.

Hart, dont get me wrong, I live and die with my Pats! :) My Dad used to work at the old Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium, and I used to get into games for nothing (one time I even got to stand on the sidelines when Ron Erhardt was HC). I got to meet several of the players, the nicest being Mosi Tatupu (that's why I have left him as my avatar since his death).

I just think this region belongs to Red Sox Nation, but luckily its big enough for all four! :D

BTW, I find it strange that the Celtics- far and away the most successful franchise- don't even get considered #1.

Last edited:
If anything I think the '01 Pats ( I nearly broke my hand in celebration during SB 36) and especially the '04 Red Sox galvanized the area.

Hart, dont get me wrong, I live and die with my Pats! :) My Dad used to work at the old Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium, and I used to get into games for nothing (one time I even got to stand on the sidelines when Ron Erhardt was HC). I got to meet several of the players, the nicest being Mosi Tatupu (that's why have left hm as my avatar since his death).

I just think this region belongs to Red Sox Nation, but luckily its big enough for all four! :D

BTW, I find it strange that the Celtics- far and away the most successful franchise- don't even get considered #1.

DogerKing mentioned it earlier, but I believe he is on to something that outdoor sports are just more appealing. Also, when the Celtics were most successful the TV coverage was not what baseball or football were. Hell the 1981 NBA finals were still on tape delay.

How about the WNBA.? Who's idea was that?

stern-dave.jpg

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion.

Sandra
I would think that you guys on the East Coast would prefer day games since you would not have to wait until 10:00 or 11:00pm to watch your team play on the West Coast, with the game not ending until 1:00 or 2:00 am

Ok, now hockey - Rangers vs. Islanders (aka Good vs. Evil)...Teemu Selanne, still with serious wheels at 41...Bobby Orr flying through the air after scoring the Stanley Cup winning goal...Bobby Baun breaks his leg in the second period of the game six of the Stanley Cup finals, and returns in overtime anyway to score the game winner...Lanny MacDonald's moustache...some scrawny kid named Gretzky, not a fast skater, not a hard shot, not very strong - but still obliterated all of the scoring records...insanely loud arenas in the playoffs...the national Anthem singer in Edmonton, during the 2006 Stanley Cup finals, singning two words - 'O Canada' - then holding up the mike as the entire crowd finishes the song...Don Cherry's suits...Jim Hughson saying 'Great Save, Luongo'...the immortal CBC voice of Bob Cole, still going strong after all these years...the Broad Street Bullies...bumper sticker - Only Jesus saves more than Bernie Parent...the intensity and elegance of Hall of Famer Brian Leetch...Mark Messier threatening TEAMMATE Kent Nilsson in Edmonton, that Messier will break his legs if he doesn't play harder...Playoff beards...Jack Edwards calling a hockey fight...Mike Richter stopping Randy Wood on a penalty shot in the 1990 playoffs - I was a young girl holding my ears, because the crowd was hurting them...In that same series, James Patrick throws the only check of his entire life - and he almost kills Pat Lafontaine of the Islanders...the ridiculous skill of Mario Lemieux...arena goal celebrations - the fog horn in Chicago, the song at the Garden that has no words but everybody sings, the HEY! song, etc...rookie goalies leading teams to Stanley Cups...the absolute hatred for the other team, that does not exist in any other sport - Yankee fans dislike but respect Red Sox fans - Ranger fans absolutely despise Islander fans, and everything they stand for...the Miracle on Manchester...MATTEAU! MATTEAU! MATTEAU!...Hockey Night in Canada...the NHL Winter Classic...summer hockey when your team is still alive in the playoffs...the Octopus in Hockeytown...the rats in Miami...fans drowning out the national anthem with applause...Ray Bourque finally winning the Stanley Cup...the Stanley Cup...the incredible bravery of guys who go down to the ice to block shots...an interview with Mike Richter, where the interviewer can't get a word in edgewise...the emotion of Alex Ovechkin...the Rangers center-ice stick salute to the crowd after victories...the cuteness of Henrik Lundqvist...Barney knows hockey...Jacques Lemaire, who could probably gather 20 of us and bring us to the Stanley Cup finals...Marek Malik's crazy stick-between-the-legs shot during a shootout...the Sedin twins doing things only twins can do together...Pavel Bure on a breakaway...Lemieux and Jagr on a two-on-one...the Primeau brothers getting into a fight with each other during a game, and one of them calling their parents in between periods to tell them...Eric Staal hitting his brother Marc earlier this year - hard enough that we were afraid Marc broke a couple of ribs...Olympic hockey, where teammate plays against teammate with all the intensity of the Stanley Cup finals - then a few days later they're teammates again...guys you love to hate - Claude Lemieux, Darcy Tucker, Sean Avery, Patrick Kaleta, Jarkko Ruutu, Esa Tikkanen, Chris Nilan, Tyler Nash - unless they're on your team...the honor of hockey fights...the 'C' of red in Calgary...Ole! Ole! Ole! Ole! in Montreal...First Mike Milbury and then Don Maloney absolutely running the Islanders into a hole they're still not out of a decade later...being in a Canadian city during hockey season, where NOTHING else matters...Ron Hextall redefining the position of goalie...the HEXTAAAAAAL chants that you can still here echoing at the Garden...line changes during play, that can decide a game...pretty often the last two minutes of a game takes TWO MINUTES...power plays...shorthanded goals...the sound of the puck clanging off the post...playoff overtime...a Jarome Iginla wrist shot from the slot...watching game seven of the 1994 semifinals against the Devils - this will be either the greatest or worst sporting day of our family's lives, depending on the outcome...we're all watching together, my five brothers, my mom, my dad and me...winning 1-0 almost the ENTIRE game, the Rangers of course allow the Devils to tie with six seconds left in regulation - SIX SECONDS away from the Stanley Cup finals, and it's ripped from us just like that...my mom starts crying, and goes upstairs to go to sleep...I'm crying too, but I stay downstairs to suffer through to the end...one overtime, many scoring chances, a couple of posts, but no goals...second OT, each team has more scoring chances, Richter and Brodeur are amazing, and FINALLY - Matteau happens. The puck hits the back of the net, and it's bedlam in our living room. My brothers and my dad, who did not always get along, are falling all over each other. I jump into my dad's arms at first, then sprint upstairs to tell my mom. We had 12 stairs, and I think I touched three of them on the way up. I run into her bedroom and leap onto her, waking her up with my screaming. I'll never forget those hugs. It's around midnight but the phone starts ringing, and doesn't stop for hours. It was so crazy, knowing there are people in some houses in your neighborhood in hockey anguish, and others celebrating like we are. The next day people are calling WFAN, guys are comparing the game to what it was like being in Vietnam, and women are comparing it to what it was like giving birth. Crazy.

That was of course immediately followed by another seven game series of anguish with the Canucks, the Rangers almost blow a 3-1 series lead and barely hang on in game seven. A month to remember.

Sandra

Last edited:
:up Sandra,

your synopsis of each sport was OUTSTANDING!!! :up:up

And I'm brimming with Boston sports fan pride that you mentioned Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Ted Williams, Bobby Orr and Tom Brady! :D

MLB for me.

Lots of meaningless games (especially for teams out of it by August), too few playoff teams, huge disparity between the haves and have-nots (esp. In the payroll department), too few small- market teams making deep playoff runs, the rich teams getting richer and poor teams getting poorer (losing your stars to bigger market teams).

Hockey really is not such a bad sport. I hope it grows some more. Seeing a game in person is fun. Most of the time when I went to the old Boston Garden is was cold but I liked it like that. I remember years ago the NHL did this thing with a puck so it left kind of a comet tail effect as it moved around the ice for the TV Viewer. A trail. I don't believe it lasted very long but they thought fans might like the game better if they could see the puck moving .

Not to hijack this thread but here is a funny story. I went to a Hockey game in Portland Maine back in the 1980's . They had a AHL team called the Maine Mariners. They played at the Portland Civic Center. The announcer was Dale Arnold who now works at WEEI. . They were playing the Newmarket Saints. My girlfriend knew nothing about hockey and made a comment about fights in hockey. She noticed the Saints logo on the visiting team and said something like they won't fight with a name like that. Well folks. before the game even started they got in one of the worst fights I have ever seen. Every player was on the ice for the skate around and every player was fighting. It was like Slapshot. It went on for almost an hour. The game finally started late and the fights continued during the game. One of the players got ejected and as he left he swung a stick at a fan . It shattered and the police jumped down on him. So much for the Saints. Today the AHL might frown on this.

too few small- market teams making deep playoff runs

This is just not true. The last 20 years, more MLB teams have won chmpionships than any other sport. Look it up if you don't believe me.

the rich teams getting richer and poor teams getting poorer (losing your stars to bigger market teams).

While I agree that the payroll disparity in baseball is absurd, the problem doesn't only lie with the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, etc. There should be a salary cap, but there should ALSO be a salary floor so the so-called "have-nots" don't just pocket every penny they make! :rolleyes:

MLB for me.

Lots of meaningless games (especially for teams out of it by August), too few playoff teams, huge disparity between the haves and have-nots (esp. In the payroll department), too few small- market teams making deep playoff runs, the rich teams getting richer and poor teams getting poorer (losing your stars to bigger market teams).
That is what makes it better than the other sports. There are too many playoff teams IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)