Status
Please reply by conversation.

gardenman2002

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
indiana
Hey everyone,
gardenman2002 here. Anyone in indiana who has an 8 or 10 ft dish to get rid of im interested in it. I will take down, dismantle and haul.i get paid every two weeks so if wanting money, i will schedule for the week i get paid . Cash. I have a 6 ft from ws international and with my open box s9
it really picks up. i motorized it. I want to motorize the larger dish and leave the 6fter for my 4dtv programming. any available? Im located 17 miles south of Lafayette Indiana.email is dt6902@yahoo.com.
thanks,
gardenman2002:)

Sorry to hear that as that appeared to have been a nice dish and why he even came here and posted if he wasn't really serious about giving it to someone is really something else.

I agree and since i am really close, i could get off work drive down dismantle ,haul, and possibly the next day have it up. oh well, win some lose some.

If you could drive through Illinois to St. Louis, you could get one of linuxman's Birdview dishes. These are probably the best ever made and come with a built in HH motor.

I lucked onto one and it is one of my prized possessions. He has more than one. Go with the solid if you do it. 8 1/2 feet.

You won't regret it.

If you're talking about visiting St Louis, you'd best be gettin' on down the road.
He may move soon, and the dishes have to go.

Hey everyone,
I went out garage sale ing with my 9 yr old boy yesterday,spotted a dish and went up to the house,since the dish was in the middle of weeds. asked ,and received for free a 10 ft mesh dish with polor mount. it is a wingard. The pole i could not get since i didnnt have a saw, shovel, or winch.2 1/2 or 3 inch pipe for mast.
I didnt have a trailer,didnt have a truck. I tried to take the bolts loose and could not,so i had to physically push, prod, etc on top of my van.!!!!. My boy was giving my encouragement and some help in the balancing dept. :)I looked like the beverly hillbillies of satellite dishes. It took me about 3 hours to get the mount bolts
loose to get the dish off so i could lift the heavy polar mount off the pole,but i got it.when it came off the mount it fell, but i checked and it didnt do any damage ,that i could see. the feed is a button hook type that had a chapparel c band lnb with a polarotor control for polarity. Im going to use either a242 cband only lnb or a 741u for ku/cband. the scalar ring mounts right to the end of the feed tube. Luckly the dish,feed pipe,and polar mount are all painted battleship grey. the actuator motor was fried,so i will purchase a new one . Have to get new bolts for the mount too, . Not bad for a sat going out with my boy garage sale-ing!!!!.

So i would like some advice. c band only for this dish, or ku/cband. also, how deep do i bury the new pole for wind load.

Thanks,

Gardenman2002

Glad you found one, I'm not sure if the dish or the entire assembly dropped when you were removing it, but since you said it dropped and I'm guessing it was off the mount you might want to do a string test to check the dish out to make sure it OK.
Myself I first remove the actuator and then always loosen all the bolts then remove top three bolts and then rotate the dish down off the mount on the last bolt before removing it. Like you I've got another 10' Winegard to remove next week after I get two dishes in Waterloo on Monday.
As far as how deep for the pole I wouldn't go less than 4 feet deep and a minimum of around 24 inches for the base, but you might need more as it will depend a lot on where the dish is installed and how much protection it will have from the wind, something to remember is it can hold a lot ice and snow in the winter.
I'd go C-Band only just because of the size of the mess holes which makes it harder for KU to work, for KU you want small holes or solid dish. I'd also get a LNBF to replace whats already on the dish as the servo motor is old and will probably be bad, myself I'm now only using BSC421 or the BSC422 models on my new dishes.

Attachments

• img060.jpg
    img060.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
The pole i could not get since i didnnt have a saw, shovel, or winch.2 1/2 or 3 inch pipe

The 10' WineGard dish uses a 4" OD 1/4 thick pipe and if installed correctly I would seriously doubt that you could get it out of the ground without some heavy construction equipment as my large Raydx dish has a 4x4 hole for it's base, now some may say it's an overkill and I could have gone smaller but here in Iowa we've had winds over 90 MPH out here in the county..

well, toucan-man, no hornets but lots of ants and mosquitoes. sergei, Just the dish dropped and it was probably about 2 1/2 feet to 3 feet off ground. I had to use a small sledge to loosen the mount assembly off the pipe.one panel on the very edge and up about 4 " had some small dents but i was able to smoothe them out pretty good,but not perfect.all in all it looks really good,and solid since the dish has trim work all around the edges.

Hey everyone gardenman2002 here.
Just did a quick string test with some of my wifes yarn. went from top to bottom same panel quarters and referenced to the center screw on the edge trim. made sure it was super tight and taped. did same to east and west line and came up with less than a 1/16 of an inch separation. i will probably do more strings on all correspnding mesh sections, but if this is any indication, i think the dish is good to go. it fell in weeds and dirt. luckly it did not have the mount attached. So does it sound good to you,sergei? any tips? i dont see any dents in the mesh except the very bottom by the edge on one panel and i smoothed them out as best i could using 2 pieces of wood.I need to get new bolts where the dish attaches to the mount and new bolts for the actuator clamp,and 2 bolts for the declination control. they were pretty rusted. the rest of it is good. the mount swivels freely and i have soaked the elevation bolts with oil so i can break them loose if need be.

It's sounds good. Only tip that I can think of right now is to be sure your pole is level when you install it.

First thing to do is see if a pencil can go through the mesh holes. If it can, it won't work for Ku. You need fine mesh or solid to get Ku.

How high off the ground will the dish be? Will it be protected from the wind by trees? Is your soil rocky?

lone cloud,
the holes are alot smaller than a pencil. about the size of a wooden skewer for grilling. As for how high,
i plan to go about 2, to 3 feet on lowest arc position. soil is mixture of clay/dirt. no tree protection.

lone cloud,
the holes are alot smaller than a pencil. about the size of a wooden skewer for grilling. As for how high,
i plan to go about 2, to 3 feet on lowest arc position. soil is mixture of clay/dirt. no tree protection.

You need to be at least below the frostline. In northern Indiana, that's 3 feet plus. I mounted a 10 foot dish and went down 4.5 feet, and made the hole 2 feet in diameter. That in turn was filled with concrete. The pole was set on a patio block so as not to settle into the ground. A fin was welded on the pole at the bottom so as to prevent the pole from rotating in the ground. The dish will be subject to high loads. Wind and snow for the most part. The pole must be solid. I can't stress that enough. Have a great day!

NOTE: my mesh holes are the same as yours it sounds like. I have no problem with Ku. That said, I had to make sure the dish was tracking the arc perfectly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)