Would you pay for VOOM Exclusive channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
We are gettting Starz HD latest new release soon after DVD free

All you guys that criticize Voom for the Cinema 10 channels are nuts . We get two HD Starz Channels with movies say 1 or 2 months after DVD releases. These are new movies which i would have rented in Blockbuster. Where are D and E*. All you get is HDNet Movies with them. Starz recently had 28 days, and in HD.

I have had VOOM for around four months now and I havent watched a full movie on the cin10 yet. But, then again Im always working. Miss Burning was on the other day....I was watching that...gene hackman in always good to watch. I voted no only because I dont really like the majority of the ch's. With a big exception....MonstersHD. I think I would pay for that ch. I have had fun watching the old school horror movies. Evil Dead is great no matter how many times they show it!!! Monsters could be sold to other providers. There are alot of sick people out there including myself.

Yes.
I like briani's idea. I would gladly pay for only HD channels even if it were just the Voom exclusives, DHDT, and ESPN-HD. I don't watch enough TV for the repetition to really bug me yet. I just watched the Bionce (sp?) concert for the first time the other night if you can believe that.

P.S.
It's not that I don't want to watch more Voom, it's just that I have a six month old daughter that is much more entertaining. :)

I voted "Yes" because I like choice. Even if the choice will be to watch a bad movie or something that was repeated many times. To me choice is important. I don't want to be limited to anything. Give me more and I won't complaint... Bring anything in HD and I will pay for it.

rtt2 said:
You are absolutly correct. You know the margin VOOM is gettig on these channels? Its pretty high.
If you add up the average cost to programming providers per channel you would see how much VOOM is actually getting. I can't divulge confidential industry info on channel costs but they have quite a sum of money to work with per channel.
In addition they have Cablevision negotiating for carriage terms. They are one of the toughest in the industry and know how much things cost.
VOOM channels are the bread and butter of the company. They make money off subscriber fees and programmer fees.

This might be true if VOOM had a few million subs. With 8000 subs assuming each of the cinema 10 got $2/sub/month... $16,000/month not enough to pay for a single movie transfer. Realistically each of the VOOM channels probably would budget out less than 25 cents per sub, not even enough to pay a single person!

People complain about repetitive programming... VOOM is essentially financing the whole thing. This is why they are losing so much money.

The sad fact is that VOOM will probably REQUIRE at least 5 million subs to come close to breaking even, this is assuming they are run with TIGHTER controls than even Echostar.

mike123abc said:
People complain about repetitive programming... VOOM is essentially financing the whole thing. This is why they are losing so much money.

Mike, thanks for posting this. This is quite true as we have not seeing a single sponsored on any of their programming. If you compare to all HD on ESPN, CBS, ABC, etc (especially sports) it is sponsored by someone else.

I appreciate what they are doing because as Mike has pointed out it is a big risk they have taken where others have refused to do. So whenever we speak about repeative programming, let's think that is not easy to put money upfront to do this. The fact that they are doing this it's quite amazing. Not trying to make them look like angels but just sharing another perspective.

Speaking of repetitive programming, Sean, could you tell us for the record how many new movies according to your calculations have been added to the rotation this or last month (Cinema10 + Epics + Monsters). I think it's around a 100, but I am not positive. I know you keep track of these things...

I only started keeping track of Movies on Cinema 10, Epics, & Monsters back in January. April 2004, I did not do it because I was too busy. May 2004, I started keeping track of all new programming. Here's the breakdown of new content:

Code:
                       CINEMA10                  EPICS           MONSTERS
JAN 2004                  37                       N/A                 N/A      

FEB 2004                  30                       33                    53

MAR 2004                  28                       4                     10

APR 2004                   N/A                     N/A                  N/A

MAY 2004                 33                       10                    3

We also had new programs on Rush, WorldSport (La Liga and Soccer game every week), Moov, Ultra, Rave, & Gallery.

New Content on Animania is hard to quantify. I have not followed all the series but I know three new series started in April. I have not seen new series added in May but there migh have been episodes to each series.

As more content has been added we have seen the channels getting better. Imagine how it was back in November 2003 when it first started.

I cannot quantify which new videos on Rave. I cannot quantify all the Ultra new content either because it comes in one title.

This does not quantify HDnews either which has really improved in bringing more sports and news hilights.
Sources:

New HD content on VOOM exclusive channels...

Epics-HD Library of Movies

Library of Movies of Cinema 10

Monsters-HD Library of Movies

Thank you Sean!

Evidently subdude212's guess was better than mine, I admit ...
Still, this is more movies than I would need to justify the $14.90 price tag. I can always find 3 or 4 to watch each month...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts