Would you swap an 811 for a 510.

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I posted this in the other forum and didn't get any replies. I got Dish on 6/7/05 on a 2 yr. lease. I have 2 811's. I don't have an HD TV in the bedroom. The PQ is not good on either set except for HD channels. Dish is willing to swap out @ no charge a 510 rec. for the bedroom. They tell me the PQ is much better on non HD chs. I have to let them know later today. I am seeking high PQ in the bedroom. Thanks.

Walker1 said:
Hi, I posted this in the other forum and didn't get any replies. I got Dish on 6/7/05 on a 2 yr. lease. I have 2 811's. I don't have an HD TV in the bedroom. The PQ is not good on either set except for HD channels. Dish is willing to swap out @ no charge a 510 rec. for the bedroom. They tell me the PQ is much better on non HD chs. I have to let them know later today. I am seeking high PQ in the bedroom. Thanks.

I don't know about the 510 but I can tell you my 508 always got much better PQ than my 811 for SD channels. The worst was SD channels on the 811 through the DVI connection. I did find the PQ for SD improved if I ran a seperate S-Vid conn from the 811 to my TV but it still wasn't as good as my 508.

If you have no plans to upgrade the bedroom TV to HD, then you'd probably be much happier with the 510 than the 811 since besides probably having better PQ, it's also a PVR.

Sounds like you're situation would be perfect for the 942. Maybe if you cry loud enough they'll work some sort of deal to replace both 811s with one 942 - even if you have to kick in some cash, it would be worth it. That would give you HD in one room; SD in another and PVR capabilities in both.

Good luck

Replied in Dish Network Forum but would add that if possible get a 508 instead of a 510 and save $5/month. All will be moot with MPEG-4 so only plan for the next 1-3 years.

Good reply from Walt while I composed mine.
-Ken

I wasn't planning on a DVR- I have numerous recorders-(DVD & VHS). I see the DVR thing as more $$ every month. I went to Dish's site-did not see a #508 unit. Dish will send me a 510 at N/C. I want the HD in the liv. room as my big screen is only HD ready. I was told the 942's have some bugs still. I am on a new lease-(1st 30 days) and Dish will let me change out equip. until my 30 days are up. If I wanted Voom would they have to install a different dish outside? Will they charge me? Is Voom worth $5/Mo. Thanks so much for your help!

Walker1 said:
I wasn't planning on a DVR- I have numerous recorders-(DVD & VHS). I see the DVR thing as more $$ every month. I went to Dish's site-did not see a #508 unit. Dish will send me a 510 at N/C. I want the HD in the liv. room as my big screen is only HD ready. I was told the 942's have some bugs still. I am on a new lease-(1st 30 days) and Dish will let me change out equip. until my 30 days are up. If I wanted Voom would they have to install a different dish outside? Will they charge me? Is Voom worth $5/Mo. Thanks so much for your help!

Over all the 942 is a great receiver. Bug wise is about the same has the 811. I've had DVR since the it was called PVR (model 501). I used to use a VCR alot also, I bet I haven't since I got the PVR. It is so much better than VCR/DVD recording. But, if you can wait, I would hold out for the Mpeg 4 DVR's. I doubt we see a MPeg4 DVR until the end of the year though.

HI, I used the S-Vid. output on each 811 and went directly into both TV's. The BR set is picking up all the chs nice and clear now. I was running the S-Vid. into the Sony DVD recorder in the BR. It doesn't mind the RCA's. As to the big screen, I left the composites for the HD chs. I routed the S-Vid. to the TV and the chs. got much better. I want the HD in the living room. I don't care about the BR. However, I don't really want a DVR @ $5 more per month. Does anyone think a regular non HD receiver would still be better now that I got the PQ better in the BR? If so, what model #. I have until the 7th of July to change out a receiver. Thanks for your input!

Buying 2nd 942

New TO DVR. Why Do you have to pay a fee?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)