Wow, D* sure has some loyal customers

Its called D* doesnt rent. If I had invested in more than one D* reciever it would have been hard to switch to Voom.

Maybe the D* subs are not that loyal, according to the poll results the majority (~60%) will eventually leave if D* doesn't stop the "HD-Lite".

I posted the same at AVS.

The fact that even in an HD Programming Forum, there are still 40% of customers who can careless about the delivery of HD. Give them anything (even below the expected quality- "HD Lite") and they are still satisfied. No wonder the satellite companies are in no rush to deliver the expected bandwith per channel since some of us are still satisfied with the minimal or less. That is a dangerous precedence since the same happened to the SD PQ of channels.

I suspect that the majority of that 40% that says "will stay" are basically people who are stuck with their investment on "HD-Tivo".

Sean Mota said:
I posted the same at AVS.

The fact that even in an HD Programming Forum, there are still 40% of customers who can careless about the delivery of HD. Give them anything (even below the expected quality- "HD Lite") and they are still satisfied. No wonder the satellite companies are in no rush to deliver the expected bandwith per channel since some of us are still satisfied with the minimal or less. That is a dangerous precedence since the same happened to the SD PQ of channels.
Well if satguys let Ruperts D* or Fox employees dominate these threads wed be in trouble here too. One thing i really enjoy here is not having them here preaching to mind numbed robots. Im glad Dolan isnt doing it here on this Voom forum. The kind of long sermons rationalizing D* HDlite from Darin, Foxeng and others really makes me wonder who is putting bread on their table (and the words in their posts).

vurbano said:
Well if satguys let Ruperts D* or Fox employees dominate these threads wed be in trouble here too. One thing i really enjoy here is not having them here preaching to mind numbed robots. Im glad Dolan isnt doing it here on this Voom forum. The kind of long sermons rationalizing D* HDlite from Darin, Foxeng and others really makes me wonder who is putting bread on their table (and the words in their posts).
AMEN!!! Excellent observation. At AVSForum there is a small number of technical people whose charter is to convince everybody else that everything D* does is good and they have a lot of influence. It almost seems like a D* cult :eek: :shocked :D

rkr0923 said:
It's called "customer service"

I agree with the above quote to the nTH degree. I also agree that V* has a better PQ right now and more content, though not for everyone, but that will be changing no later than spring or early summer and it is good enough now that I can wait till then to see what shakes out, plus I can record my "HD-Lite". V* needs to make it as affordble for new subs to pick up V* and drop the "professional installation" charge to ummm...$0, let customers have multiple boxes with out paying through the nose. They need to add sports RSN and get PPV, lower their movie channels price which is almost double D*. Critical mass is called "critical" for a reason ...it is critical a company reach it!! Whether it be a restaurant, theatre, DBS, or candy store there is a threshhold that must be achieved. V* will never get there until they are able to offer comparable product at comparable price. Hopefully they will as competition is good for everyone.

That's sad, but let's not overlook the fact that Voom is running it's own version of HDLite. It's October, where's the news about the new Codecs? Where's my big, new 30" dish? Where's my PVR? I don't think I can wait until next Summer for PQ & content to improve.

adamneh said:
Call me ignorant, but what qualifies as "HD-lite"?

This is not easy to explain but bear with me. OTA HD is around 19mbps on MPEG-2. There is no satellite company or Cable company (besides Comcast) that is passing 19mbps in the HD stream (According to AVSforum). Usually the encoders on DBS are variable encoders that passes the HD stream between 12-16mbps for HD channels (as more bandwith is needed the program asks for it).

It has been noted recently that D* went below the 12mbps for two channels Showtime-HD & HDnet movies. Why did D* do this? Because they had NFL Ticke HD channels that they needed to transmit on Sundays from 1pm - 6pm. They put 3 HD channels per transponder and started moving channels around. At the end there were two channels that were affected by all these changes Showtime-HD (a premium channel) and HDnet movies (part of the HD pack). As a compromise to their customers, D* has given all HD pack subscribers a 6 months free HD Pack. I do not know if they had done the same with Showtime-HD. So these two channnel in which the mbps has dropped below the 12mbps and has been reported to go as low as 6mbps is what everyone is calling "HD Lite". So far these two channels have remained in this category on a 24/7 schedule although the NFL Sunday Ticket HD games only are 1 day of the week for about 5-6 hours.

Sean Mota said:
This is not easy to explain but bear with me. OTA HD is around 19mbps on MPEG-2.

Just a little correction: OTA HD should be around 19 mbps. They also have their own lite versions in some areas. Here in GA no OTA channel looks nearly as good as HDNet on Dish. Some of them split bandwidth usually with one subchannel but some not (like CBS) but still it doesn't look as good as HDNet.
Sadly, on my native 1080i TV two 720p OTA channels (ABC and Fox) look better than any 1080i OTA. In fact, you can call all other OTA channels in the area HD lite.

Im not suprised at the results.....If I spent my hard earned cash on a HD receiver for Directv I would have to stay also. I think Directv will get things together after the football season...We will see. I know that my VOOM HD has looked alot better than my Directv HD. It wasnt that way before the football season.

Loyal D*'ness

No question where my loyalties lie. Without putting a slanted perspective on the situation the main reason most of us are here is because of programming selection. Despite my post here and the fact that I actually sent D* a paper letter I am still their customer. It is likely to remain so for me as they have the programming I like to watch.

I would never question, now, that the HD Voom has to offer far exceeds what D* can offer me today, I do not believe this will be the case in about 7 months. That does not mean that D* will resist the temptation to screw that up too ... it might happen.

I have not liked cable in the past due to poor picture quality. I have not liked E* in the past due to inferior hardware. I did not stick with Voom very long because it was too much of a hard sell to the family and the premium HD Movies channels we're all I watched ... I missed the SD content I was used to having. It has been stated several times in these forums the only way we can get what we all want is to have 3 providers cable, sat and Voom.

To be honest I want D* to fix the SD before they add HD .. except for sports, and that is the kicker for me, I am an NFL ST sub and there is only one place to get 8 games a week in HD. This too may change, but for now, it is what it is.

HD Lite does suck, but the football is kinda worth it for now. I say that because I an currently getting 30.99 in credits per month from D* ... that takes away some of the bite.

In the future I'll expect a full 18-20 Mbps from my D* HD.

8a.gif
"Stupid is as stupid does." :p

~Forrest Gump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts