WOW! Just noticed the new DISH Remote Access Feature

If you can't get to the remote from the main page, you can try dish.sling.com. That is the URL used for the beta testing. I haven't noticed any significant changes compared to the beta, but the speed hasn't suffered either. The manage disk space feature is brilliant for getting rid of all the programs you haven't watched.

I've never had an issue with channels not appearing which I subscribe to. My only real complaint is that the timer list doesn't indicate if its recording on an HD channel or not. It will just list the same channel number twice. To insure you're recording HD, you have to select the '9xxx' channel, so there's a work around, just not an elegant one.

Has anyone had trouble with the password reset on DishOnline? Asked for a reset two hours ago and still no email.

I just tried it, and it's very confusing with 3 VIP receivers all online. There appear to be blocks of program info from different receivers on the main page. And I have to know the receiver numbers in order to switch anything.

Go to Preferences -> Receiver -> Edit
and you can add/change a name (i.e. "Theater DVR")

Brad

i have a question my router is in a seprate room and i dont want to run a ethernet wire all over my house. can i plug a usb wireless card into the reciver i have a vip 722.

i have a question my router is in a seprate room and i dont want to run a ethernet wire all over my house. can i plug a usb wireless card into the reciver i have a vip 722.

No, you can't use a USB adaptor, but you can use a wireless bridge or, even easier and cheaper, buy a HomePlug adaptor for your router (this uses the built-in HomePlug capability in your receiver). There are numerous threads on this subject in the Dish Technical forum.

Brad

You can bundle with your phone company in Sanborn? That isn't verizon is it?

No, we're on Frontier... whom I lovingly refer to as my Tuna-Cans-and-String phone company. They're a bit behind in some areas, but I have Ken so I won't complain.

Best customer service I've ever experienced. Maybe because they're not huge. I can actually call a local tech on his cell phone and he'll take care of any necessary work orders and get things straightened out like... right now.

I wish there was a way to access my external hard drive attached to my VIP722.

The DVR disk space management option should also have included the ability to transfer recordings from the DVR disk to the external HD and vice versa. I presume that this sort of functionality is coming or slated to be added down the road in a future release?

I still can't sign up for this. When you log in on the bottom of the Dish Remote Access page (in the Current Dish Customers area) what is supposed to happen? For me it just sends me to my dish account information page which has nothing at all on it about configuring remote access. There is a link and an graphic on the left side of this page for Dish Remote Access but clicking on either of them opens a new browser window with the same Dish Remote Access page that I started at with the same log in area at the bottom. I can just keep logging in over and over and nothing changes. I'm getting confused here. What am I supposed to see happen?
WHat receiver do you own? I presume you need a DVR to see this sort of DVR management link.

If you do own a 722'ish DVR, check what the system thinks about the equipment you own - there is an option to view that under Equipment in your Dish account.

You may have a firewall issue or may need to contact Dish Tech support to resolve this one :D

Will this work with a VIP 211 converted with an external hard drive?

I was creating my account and did not see this receiver in the list, but I am wondering if this omission is just to avoid confusing people that have the 211 but are not using it as a DVR.

No, at this time only the ones on the page are compatible and must be connected to your network

screenshots anyone ?

can anyone post screenshots ? Especially of screens that show DVR playlist ?

I've tried it with IE, Firefox, and Iphone (safari) with no problem. I do wish it was an iphone app similar to what D* has or that the iphone webpage was a little more user friendly but other than that it's a cool feature.

They are supposed to be working on a very fancy iPhone app that not only provides the same functions as the D* app but also serves as a fancy remote for your DVR when you are at home, with a guide and everything.

I have no idea what the status is, and haven't heard about it for a while. I assume it's tied up in app store approval process same as the Sling remote TV app.

This released version has the same problems as the beta did for me - my Ohio HD locals don't show in the grid, it displays channels from Arizona instead. Are any of you that had this problem with the beta software seeing that this is fixed for you now?
I guess it wasn't a problem with the Dayton locals being re-mapped to AZ locals then, eh ? I had the same problem ... and may still have it. I'll login to dish.sling.com in a bit to check.

Although I am unable to connect to my DVR, probably due to firewall issues, it seems like a really cool feature.
Very few people have mentioned any issues related to a firewall. Is yours locked down too tight ?

I suspect that the system works something like this:

- Website talks to Dish's system
- Dish tells your receiver via satellite to send info to a website (1)

This basic cycle repeats. This way, your receiver is initiating the conversation and the firewall shouldn't impede it. One way to test this is to disconnect the satellite feeds. You shouldn't need them if all the communication is via the internet, right ? I suspect it will fail though.

dang it... I don't have my R00 numbers here at work :)

I'll have to try this later from home... and then... what's the point? :D

This is yet another feature that is not available to me because my Dish service is bundled with my phone company. Bundling saves me $5 a month. I might unbundle just because it irks me to not have features that a Dish customer is supposed to have.

Does it work if you go through the Sling site DISH Remote Access Login ? I don't think you have to get your service through Dish in order to use that site, just have one of the DIsh receivers that are supported.

That won't help if it works like the beta/sling part did. You have to use the receiver's menus to "activate" part of this and then get a code number from the receiver after activating.

I have never been able to set my dvrs with this. Is it my firewall? If so how do I get around it and does that make my system insecure?