WOW! Just noticed the new DISH Remote Access Feature

ok, all this Dish Remote Access stuff has me confused. I currently use a slingbox solo on my vip 722. I realize that it's not a HD slingbox but I use it to tune into my home channels when I'm away. Does this new dish remote access change the way I do things or is there a better way to use my slingbox. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ok. Just wondering. I had the same problem - was working for months (dish.sling.com) - then I go to connect today and the site says it can't connect. My router shows my receivers are connected, and it can ping them fine.

The broadband connection showed "not connected" on mine. A reset in that menu wouldn't connect. Resetting the router didn't do anything - it always showed the connection fine. Called dish - they asked if I had an "Ethernet cable" attached to my receiver after I told them it just "stopped working" after 2 months. Of course I said "no - you mean it needed that cable?". haha.

I finally was told to connect it directly to my modem. I got connected. So I reset everything and changed my dhcp range to force a different IP assignment (couldn't get it to release the old one - I am not a network expert by trade :) Finally - now a reset in the broadband connection changed the IP address and I got connected.

So I thought I would check :)

Oops. That reply from me above is a bit discombobulated.

Short story: I did everything to reset settings (modem, router, receiver) nothing worked except forcing the receiver to get a different IP address from dhcp. Hope this helps someone...

When is DISH going to turn on the added functionality to be able to stream video directly from your receiver to your PC over the internet using SlingGuide WITHOUT having to add a real Slingbox?

When is DISH going to turn on the added functionality to be able to stream video directly from your receiver to your PC over the internet using SlingGuide WITHOUT having to add a real Slingbox?

Whenever they release the 922s which is "sling loaded". Your current receiver does not have the hardware to accomplish this without adding a Slingbox.

Whenever they release the 922s which is "sling loaded". Your current receiver does not have the hardware to accomplish this without adding a Slingbox.
Spoke with a CSR over the weekend regarding an issue I was having with my old 501 in the RV.
The CSR indicated that the 622s and up WOULD support streaming like the new 922.

Ok. Just wondering. I had the same problem - was working for months (dish.sling.com) - then I go to connect today and the site says it can't connect. My router shows my receivers are connected, and it can ping them fine.

The broadband connection showed "not connected" on mine. A reset in that menu wouldn't connect. Resetting the router didn't do anything - it always showed the connection fine. Called dish - they asked if I had an "Ethernet cable" attached to my receiver after I told them it just "stopped working" after 2 months. Of course I said "no - you mean it needed that cable?". haha.

I finally was told to connect it directly to my modem. I got connected. So I reset everything and changed my dhcp range to force a different IP assignment (couldn't get it to release the old one - I am not a network expert by trade :) Finally - now a reset in the broadband connection changed the IP address and I got connected.

So I thought I would check :)

i'm about to pull my hair out with this... according to dish, my receiver hasn't been able to connect to them since last August. menu6,1,9,1 shows connected online. menu6,3 shows broadband OK. i'm not able to call out and consequently, i can't get remote access to work. i'm using Cox HSI, linksys router... all standard stuff. i'm in the IT field so assume i've done all the obvious things. i've configured the DVR with DMZ access and it still doesn't work. i haven't yet plugged my DVR directly into the cable modem. is that my next step?

menu6,1,9,1 shows connected online. menu6,3 shows broadband OK. i'm not able to call out and consequently, i can't get remote access to work. i'm using Cox HSI, linksys router...
Huh. My 722 and 2 612's seem to be fine, although I have the phone line connected as well (for caller ID). Remote access works for me. I'm on a Cox SOHO account with Scientific Atlanta modem and a D-link Gamer Lounge. Recommend setting your Linksys back to it's default settings, and making sure it's running the latest firmware.

Again, I think you mean, "622's"

I'm no expert in this, so I don't know for sure if the hardware of the 622 or 722 is even capable of this (with a software upgrade), but it would seem to me that it would hurt sales of the 922s's. Maybe not.
Thanks, again. Been a tough week.
Technically, I would think, since you can download content over the broadband internet connection on a 622, there shouldn't be any limitations to stream downresed content from the 622 back to a PC.
As far as any errosion from 922 sales, I doubt that would be an issue. 922 will probably for the niche market anyway for awhile. I think it will be interesting to see how many Joe 6 packs out there would be comfortable with a mousepad on the remote instead of the buttons they are used to.
Wonder if DISH has done any market research on this new capability.

i've configured the DVR with DMZ access and it still doesn't work. i haven't yet plugged my DVR directly into the cable modem. is that my next step?
It shouldn't be necessary to put your DVR into the router's DMZ. See my post # 35 on the first page of this thread or, just read it here:
Very few people have mentioned any issues related to a firewall. Is yours locked down too tight ?

I suspect that the system works something like this:

- Website talks to Dish's system
- Dish tells your receiver via satellite to send info to a website (1)

This basic cycle repeats. This way, your receiver is initiating the conversation and the firewall shouldn't impede it. One way to test this is to disconnect the satellite feeds. You shouldn't need them if all the communication is via the internet, right ? I suspect it will fail though.

I'm asking what I think to be a simple question but apparently not making enough sense for anyone to reply or offer any help. My question is if I currently have a vip 722 with a sling box av already installed and working properly. Is there any need for me to use the remote access feature offered by dish now? I've asked dish support and also sling media the same question and apparently I'm the only person who has asked this question. In the dish network explanation of the remote access features, it states that if you wish to view the dish channels as well with the remote access set-up, you must have a sling box to do so but doesn't offer any help tips as to how to do so. It clearly states that to set the remote access up, you must have internet connection but my internet connection is hooked to the slingbox at this time. My question to both dish and sling media was, do I need to have a broadband connection to both the vip 722 and the slingbox for both to work? so far, I've found no one who can tell me how to install both for this to work. I'm sure I'm beating my head against the wall for something that's not that big a deal but just curious if both will work together or if it is even worth it to have both. Any help or ideas on this subject would be appreciated.

My question is if I currently have a vip 722 with a sling box av already installed and working properly. Is there any need for me to use the remote access feature offered by dish now?
There is no NEED, but if you want to schedule your DVR remotely away from home you CAN use the remote access feature offered by dish. I use it all the time, at home and on the road. You ought to explore it and see for yourself. You'll obviously need to connect your 722 to the internet to do so and set it up if not done already.

I just hooked my 722 up to broadband tonight and I am trying out Dish Remote Access and when I'm looking at the guide online I'm unable to scroll down through my channels? I see like 2 through 9 and that's it. It's like the scroll down bar is missing? I've logged in and out, refreshed and everything but it comes up the same everytime. Is there some trick about this or is my computer not bringing the website right?