WOW! Just noticed the new DISH Remote Access Feature

This is awesome for my purposes; I have a fairly basic slingbox, but since you can switch between S-Video and RCA inputs, I have been using it to watch two different receivers (with mono audio, one plugged into the L, one to the R.) But I have had no way to 'wake up' or change channels on the VIP722 until now!

Is there any way to make the remote access control TV2 instead of TV1? TV2 is the one I have hooked up to the slingbox, and for now I have to put it to single mode if I want to change what's going to the slingbox.

I wonder if there was really a good reason I have TV2 hooked to the slingbox instead of TV1; I think because I hooked TV1 to a DVD recorder.

This is yet another feature that is not available to me because my Dish service is bundled with my phone company. Bundling saves me $5 a month. I might unbundle just because it irks me to not have features that a Dish customer is supposed to have.

go to dish.sling.com your portal awaits.

I'm surprised I was able to register on dish.sling.com with my at&t Dish account. Setup took about 5 minutes. Works great. This plus 3 new HD channels on the Absolute package! Dish is on a roll.:)

Love, love, LOVE this feature!

I'm an AT&T Dish Network Customer... so, other than a bit of a detour trying to register for an account off the main Dish Network page (gee, why would I think to register where it says "Current Dish Customers?")... I scrolled down, clicked on "Introducing Dish Remote Access"... scrolled again, clicked on the link under "Do you get DISH Network through your local phone company?" (which just redirects you to dish.sling.com)...

Then the fun began.

Entered in my email address, my receiver number, and a Web Activation number (Menu-6-1-9-3)... was able to set recordings on my 622 with no problems at all.

Next test was on the iPhone... dish.sling.com results in an iPhone-formatted page, with all the same features of the main site (to me, this works just as well as if they had created a dedicated app)... including... a remote! Well, part of one. I'll see about getting some screen shots off the phone. Will I use it? Probably not, there is a slight lag, but really VERY slight considering it I was controlling my DVR with my phone over 3G and then it has to reach out to the receiver. Probably will be fun to mess with when someone is home and not expecting it. :) haha. But changing channels, skip forward/back all worked.

Trying to attach the pics... let's see how it goes!

IMG_0005.PNG IMG_0003.PNG IMG_0004.PNG IMG_0002.PNG

Hold on.......

I'm getting a message that says "you must return to live mode to change program."

Because the receiver is in sleep mode.

Is there no way to wake up the receiver using the remote access?????

If this is the case, this feature is useless except for scheduling DVR recordings.

:-(

and its not working on dishnetwork.com, but is on dish.sling.com. nice one, dn.
I guess I'm special. It's still broke for me on DishNetwork.com, and a Tech Chat garnered "we'll send a note to Sling" response.

Jeez, I have all the luck.

Support wrote back and said there is no way to remotely wake up the unit.

That makes the whole part about being able to remotely change the channel COMPLETELY POINTLESS; because everything it does can already be done via the IR blaster of the slingbox; since the IR blaster is needed anyway just to wake the unit up out of sleep mode, NOTHING is gained by changing the channels via remote access.

All the remote access is useful for is setting the DVR.

VERY disappointing.

You know, I have this on Dish and have had it on my TiVo for ages and I have only used it twice.

I plan ahead and program my time shifting in advance, so this "must have feature" is a bust for me.

[Someone correct me if I'm wrong...]

For clarity:

Customers who subscribe directly through DISH Network must access the remote access feature by going to dishnetwork.com and logging on to their account. Then, on the account page, there is a link within the message, "NOW AVAILABLE! DISH Remote access. Click here to access the feature." Clicking that link will allow you to access your remote access account.

Customers who subscribe with a bundled service must access the remote access feature by going to the "dish.sling.com" account. (*see the quote below for information about what may happen if you do this incorrectly)​

From the FAQ:

faq.JPG

I'm no expert, but in my experience if you get this logon screen, it won't work. The web address is DISH Remote Access Login

sling.JPG

You have to go through dishnetwork.com then log on to your account, then click the link within the notice that says, "NOW AVAILABLE! DISH Remote access. Click here to access the feature." That link takes you to a web address of dish5.sling.com.

clickheretoaccess1.JPG

Then you should be able to set it up. Once it is set-up, when you go back to the aforementioned link, you'll see something like this:

loggingon1.JPG

Then, something like this (depending on your preferences):

slingguide.JPG

I've noted that if you go to the first (incorrect) logon without the "5" in the address, and then you try going through dishnetwork.com, and click the link, for some reason, even dishnetwork.com will send you to the wrong page (dish.sling.com). Either restarting the browser or clearing the cache usually gets you out of that loop.

So, in a nutshell, the address, dish.sling.com does not work for me. It always asks for my R00 number and then, after a good wait, tells me I'm not connected. If I go through my account logon on dishnetwork.com's site, I'm directed appropriately to a working logon page. I hope this helps.

ADDENDUM:

I just discovered this on the FAQ:

Apparently "dish.sling.com" is for "partner-only" customers (i.e. those who subscribe through their phone company).

The correct address for customer's who subscribe directly through DISH Network need to use "dish5.sling.com"

However, I've tried multiple times to enter "dish5.sling.com" in my browser's address bar and it is immediately changed to "dish.sling.com" thereby taking me to the wrong logon page. The only way I can make it take me to the correct page is to go through dishnetwork.com's site as mentioned previously.

Since this seems to be the "bug reports" thread for the Remote Access feature, I'll chime in on an issue with IE8.

My laptop has IE8. While I was in the grid part of the Remote Access, I couldn't scroll up or down because there was no scroll bar. I usually don't have my mouse connected to the laptop, so there was no scroll wheel to use. Fortunately, I do have a scroll feature on my touchpad.

NOTE: This is referring to the absence of a scroll bar within the grid itself. The browser, of course, has a scroll bar, but that only moves the webpage--not the grid.

Here's a pic of the absent scroll bar in IE8:

IE8.JPG

Here's IE7 with the scroll bar present:

IE7.JPG

Here's FireFox 3.x with the scroll bar present:

FF3.JPG

Works well for me, for my two ViP722 HD DVRs. Of course, the 508 does not appear.

This is good, because when I go to "my equipment" on the Dish site, they think I've got one ViP722 and two 508s. Guess I'd better call them on that.

[Someone correct me if I'm wrong...]

For clarity:

Nope. Just go to dish.sling.com. It may switch you to any one of a number of subsites such as dish5. dish3. etc. It doesn't mater. You do not need to start from Dish's site or your other phone bundle site. I checked some of the dish and some of the other siter pages and they all had it as "dish.sling.com"

One problem that I have since they beta ended is that all of my scheduled timers are 7 hours in the future. So a show that starts at 6:00PM shows it starts 1:00AM.

All of my scheduled events are like this.

Nope. Just go to dish.sling.com. It may switch you to any one of a number of subsites such as dish5. dish3. etc. It doesn't mater. You do not need to start from Dish's site or your other phone bundle site. I checked some of the dish and some of the other siter pages and they all had it as "dish.sling.com"

Then something's wrong with mine. If I access it through "My Account" on DISH's site, it works flawlessly. If I try it any other way, it asks for my R00, then says I'm not connected. Weird.:confused:

great, both dish.sling.com and dishnetwork.com fail. I've been in contact with the exec folks (ceo@echostar.com), and they say they are working on it, but NADA. doesn't work either place for me now. (used to work from dish.sling.com).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)