Wow, that was fast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TenaciousJoker

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
Well, my new D* install was scheduled today for sometime between noon and five. Figured since I had some time on my hands, I would take care of a bit of lawn maintenance before they got here. Took my cell phone just in case I didn't get done on time. Anyway, the guy from D* calls at, get this, 9:55 and says he's on his way and will be here in 10 minutes. He's still installing the stuff as we speak, but two hours EARLY for an installation?! COOL! :D:D:D

I'll update this when he get everything up and running.

Congrats!

You hear alot of install horror stories, but there are many that do a good job! Hopefully yours will be one of those:up

UPDATE: Only took the guy an hour to install everything and it looks great!
I can already tell the difference between E* and D* (although I did have to set Native to 'On' and enable 1080i and Dolby Digitial, no big) in SD and HD looks a WHOLE lot better. Too early to say for sure, but it looks like I made the right call. :D

P.S. One thing I did notice though, is that I no longer get HDNet Movies. :confused: It's in the 'Channels I get' guide, but it tells me I didn't purchase it. My package is the next one down from Premier. Do you have to have the Premier package to get HDNMovies? No big deal, just wondering.

HDNet Movies is in the HD Extra Pack (along with MGM, Smithsonian, and UHD). These channels cost an additional $4.99/mo beyond the normal $9.99 HD access fee.

That's what's weird. I get UHD and MGMHD, but not Smithsonian or HDNet Movies.

Call Directv and order the HD extra pack. Ask for the free 3 month free trial. I goy it free for that time. Otherwise it"s $4.95 a month.

UPDATE: Only took the guy an hour to install everything and it looks great!
I can already tell the difference between E* and D* (although I did have to set Native to 'On' and enable 1080i and Dolby Digitial, no big) in SD and HD looks a WHOLE lot better. Too early to say for sure, but it looks like I made the right call. :D

P.S. One thing I did notice though, is that I no longer get HDNet Movies. :confused: It's in the 'Channels I get' guide, but it tells me I didn't purchase it. My package is the next one down from Premier. Do you have to have the Premier package to get HDNMovies? No big deal, just wondering.

I don't watch more than half of the channels in my package, just couple of hours in the morning I watch NDTV 24x7. That's the reason I had subscribed for DirecTV and I should point out the installation process took its time but everything was in place.

They're all slow right now. I had my install scheduled at 4. They called at 2:30 asking if they could come early because they were slow. At 4, 2 installers showed up so they could both work. Later their manager also showed up as well. They seem to take their time during the install... probably because they didnt have any other jobs.

They told me they have about 50 installers for the Buffalo NY area. That seems like a lot of people for this area. That's just the subcontractor for D*. There are a couple of independant retailers here too.

Is it pretty much a known that Direct TV's pq is better then Dish in both SD and HD?

It depends on who you talk to and what stations you are talking about. It seems the general consensus is that the hd pictures are similar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)