Wrigley Field

i'm not sure about this zell guy. a good friend of mine works for the orlando sentinel and told me last week that a bunch of people will be losing jobs very soon. this will no doubt be true for the other newspapers that he recently purchased.

i have to be concerned if he starts mucking with wrigley field which is an absolute beautiful ballpark. i was able to attend 4 cubs games when i was stationed at nas glenview and i fell in love with the place. it truly is the friendly confines and i hope it continues to remain a chicago treasure.

What I get mad about is when a sports facility is named after a person that had a lot to do with getting it built or obtaining a team to play there, then the name is changed to a corperate sponser. The Branden Berne Arena and Jack Murphy Stadium. come to mind Very tackey.

I am glad you brought this to light. I never looked at Wrigley Field as a corperate name, I always looked at it as the owners family name as was the Wrigley Field he owned in Los Angeles. You are right.

The only name change that I didn't mind was changing Royals Stadium to Kaufman Stadium. Mr Kaufman brought the team to Kansas City and built the stadium. He deserves to have it named after him, even though in life he didn't like the idea.

For the record the first stadium to be named for a corperate sponser was Sullivan Stadium, home of the newly named New England Patroits. In 1971 the Sullivans sold the naming rights to the Shafer Brewery for the unheard of sum of $250,000.00, thus becoming Shafer Stadium.

Also add Shea Stadium to the list with Wrigley Field, Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park. At one time, with the exception of the Polo Grounds and Braves Field, all the ballparks in the National League were named after the team's owners or a famous person. Time changes everything.

Forgive me for babbling on, but the great old ballparks mean a lot to me. I have a rather large collection of their histories.

Last edited:
The stadium and the team are being sold separately. I suppose that it is possible that Wrigley (the company) could buy the stadium and/or the naming rights. Then again I suppose that it is remotely possible that some local compaby could buy it and try to make hay about the fact that they a re the company that saved the name Wrigley Field. They could perhaps plaster the place with ads.

Or maybe I am just dreaming and I need to get used to the idea of Cubs baseball from Starbucks Field.

The AStadium in Foxborough MA OPENED as Schaefer Stadium and then subsequently become Sullivan Stadium BTW I am fairly certain that it opened in 1971. FWIW the place had a corporate sponsor when it was called "Sullivan Stadium as well---It was Anheuser Busch who chose not to rename it after the company.

I doubt anyone would change the name of the Stadium from Wrigley field. That would just be nuts.

The AStadium in Foxborough MA OPENED as Schaefer Stadium and then subsequently become Sullivan Stadium BTW I am fairly certain that it opened in 1971. FWIW the place had a corporate sponsor when it was called "Sullivan Stadium as well---It was Anheuser Busch who chose not to rename it after the company.

It was a long time ago that I heard the story and my memory is a little foggy. I knew there was beer and football mixed togather somewhere.:)

It was a long time ago that I heard the story and my memory is a little foggy. I knew there was beer and football mixed togather somewhere.:)

A mixture of beer and football will do that to the best of us. Actually I think that the beer is more responsible than the football. BTW I hated that place,

For the record the first stadium to be named for a corperate sponser was Sullivan Stadium, home of the newly named New England Patroits. In 1971 the Sullivans sold the naming rights to the Shafer Brewery for the unheard of sum of $250,000.00, thus becoming Shafer Stadium.

I stand corrected, which is no big deal....my wife corrects me all of the time. :rolleyes: Thanks Geronimo.:):)

Now for the record.................

Foxboro Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I understand it any name change wouldn't be able to be put ON or IN the stadium if they wanted to change it without the expressed writen permission of THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY since wrigley field is a protected site ( in other words ....GOOD LUCK)

As I understand it any name change wouldn't be able to be put ON or IN the stadium if they wanted to change it without the expressed writen permission of THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY since wrigley field is a protected site ( in other words ....GOOD LUCK)

you could be correct but i would prefer to see that in writing.

I hear that zell has already sold the field, the cubs are gonna move out to a new stadium in the burbs and Wrigley has been sold to Waste Management and will be transformed into the city's newest landfill.

I was watching sportsnite a few days ago and they mentioned that either the Cubs or Zell was trying to get out of the historical landmark status as it would make the needed renovations for Wrigley Field much cheaper.

If that happened, they could easily rename the field.

I sincerely hope they don't make any bonehead moves with the Cubs or Wrigley - too much history.

I was also happy to hear that the Yankees are keeping their new park Yankee Stadium. Although not their fan - it's good for the game.

I hate it when corporate sponsors buy up the naming rights!

In Detroit we had Tiger Stadium, and when they moved to the new stadium they named it "Comerica Park"

Its not that bad, but I do agree with the comment that someone made about "Us Cellular field" because that name absolutly sucks!

The only name that makes sense is Ford Field where the Lions play. Eventhough "Ford" is the car company, people think of it more as the ford family.

last i read, the chicago sports authority had either made an offer or was going to make an offer to buy wrigley. i think that was last thursday i read that.

How about if Wrigley buys the team :):):)

It would serve Zell right, if he changes the name and then sells it ....

Then, who ever buys it, re-names it back to Wrigley, provided Wrigley is Ok with it.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)