WWE Network

jcoppola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Charleston, SC
WWE has been promoting their new network that they say will go live in April. Has any service provider commited to carrying this channel?

No announcement has been made regarding which providers will carry the channel. Having grown up watching WWF and WCW (and still being a fan to this day), I'd definitely watch it if Dish were to carry it.

Years ago I would have been eager to have this channel, but lost interest. However, it does seem like a channel Dish would pick up, and in fact heavily promote that they have.

If they have some of the marquee matches from years ago, I would be tempted to watch!

Years ago I would have been eager to have this channel, but lost interest. However, it does seem like a channel Dish would pick up, and in fact heavily promote that they have.

If they have some of the marquee matches from years ago, I would be tempted to watch!

Steamboat-Savage from WM III and Michaels-Hall from WM X are two of my favorite all time matches. The Sting-Foley matches from 1992 would definitely have me firing up the DVR.

I have watched since the the early 70s on Saturday mornings when everything was a squash match against a jobber like Frankie Williams till the present day. The kids think I'm nuts the wife tolerates it. Growing up in the Boston area it was WWWF territory and never saw any of the old Steamboat Flair matches. Since WWE owns the rights to nearly all the old promotions I'd love to see these for the first time. I alos wouldn't mind seeing old black and white from the early fifties like Goergeous Goerge.

It would seem that there would be enough content to fill up a channel between current matches, re-airing old matches and specialty shows. It might come down to who owns what for older content but I could see this channel having enough to get going.

It would be interesting what tier DISH sticks this in, or if it becomes part of the Sports Pak.

Knowing WWE, they could really blow this one. There is potential, but mostly with the historical content (I wonder how much they have from back in the 80s). It'd be a nice niche sort of thing, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Knowing WWE, they could really blow this one. There is potential, but mostly with the historical content (I wonder how much they have from back in the 80s). It'd be a nice niche sort of thing, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Oh they have a ton,Vince McMahon bought every promotion he could just for the video libraries.AWA dating back into the early 70's maybe even the 60's.Also the Georgia Championship and Mid Atlantic promotions dating way back.So there will be a wealth of older content.Question is will they actually use it?The crap they have now ain't wrasslin its entertainment and for an old time fan like me it stinks.

The issue with the AWA is Verne was so cheap he'd go over the videotapes of the TV shows with a newer show

Now thats cheap!!Bunch of the guys that were in his wrestling school claimed he dang near starved them to death lol

metoo i want this channel as well i want it in HD iceberg i saw that thing you said that the only time i post is on wedensdays.the more requests you send to dish network the better chances we could get this channel.

metoo i want this channel as well i want it in HD iceberg i saw that thing you said that the only time i post is on wedensdays.
I guess you didnt read the actual post. Go back to that thread and reread it. We were taking bets on when your next post about "when is Dish going to carry _____ in HD"? was going to be. I said Wednesday based on track record :)

the more requests you send to dish network the better chances we could get this channel.
mmmmm hmmmmm... How's that going for ya getting channels like your PBS in HD?

I like wrestling, but my interest in the WWE network is minimal, unless they do something wild like put live pay-per-views on it for no charge (Unlikely, because they make a fortune on those). Their two big regular weekly live event shows (Raw, Smackdown) are on other networks Dish already carries. So what are they going to put on this channel? Some sort of third tier show like Superstars with guys not good enough to crack the big two shows? Recaps of the bigger shows? Old footage from the good old days that's heavily edited to remove anyone Vince McMahon doesn't want to acknowledge these days (ex: Chris Benoit)? Filler stuff to hype up their shows on other networks and PPVs I can't afford that are in no way worth even a fraction of what they're charging?

I don't know, this would probably be a step up from the all-informercial channel all the time channels Dish gives us, but unless they pre-announce some awesome live programming (Like stuff that is currently on PPV), I wouldn't be in a hurry to add this if I were Dish.

The WWE in general is turning into a pretty tired product. There's no blood and brutality ala ECW anymore, there are no exciting edgy angles like WCW's NWO anymore. Heck, rumor has it the last time Steve Austin did a guest appearance, they reprimanded him for drinking beer on the air (one of his old trademarks) and wouldn't let him give people the finger. It's turned into a very G-rated product with no real edge or adult humor anymore. And, worse than any of that, the booking (writing) is just God awful and interests no one- they could do an interesting show, even aiming for a G rating, but they don't because their 10 year old target audience wouldn't understand it. Not that it was Shakespeare to begin with. ;)

I always had qualms about their model of using their regular programming and storylines to promote stuff that would culminate on overpriced PPVs I wouldn't be able to watch. But since they've destroyed the overall quality of their product, it makes it easy for me- I rarely watch period anymore (Even the free weekly stuff like RAW and Smackdown). Every once in a while I'll flip it on. Frankly though, I'd rather watch real sports or listen to some music or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)