X-Box 360 multiple controllers question

adavis720

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I'm a little confused here on switching around the controllers. :confused:

If I am playing Guitar Hero with the wireless guitar controller and I want to then play a different game with the regular wireless controller what is the best way to do that? It seems like the wireless controller wants to be number 3 when i turn it on. I turn off the guitar controller and then it tells me to reconnect it. I always end up just turning everything off and starting from scratch, but I want to avoid unnecessarily power cycling the 360.

Anyone else notice this?

You can turn off a controller by just holding the button down until the screen comes up to power off, but if you do it while you're in a game, you'll probably just upset the game.

Try exiting guitar hero first (XBox button, then 'Y' to return to the dashboard) before diconnecting and reconnecting contollers.

yeah I run into that issue with batteries that die out.. but I usually just take one from another controller and keep playing.. but I haven't tried to play a game after playing GH3.. shutting down the controller should do the trick..

When I want to switch from the guitar to a regular controller, I turn off the guitar controller and when I get the "reconnect controller" message, I simply power on the standard controller. It will sign in as position 1 (or whatever position the guitar controller was). You don't have to power down the 360 to do this. I do the same thing if batteries die. I just power on another controller and hook the old controller up to the usb on the pc to charge while I continue playing with the other controller. I could use the charging plug to connect to the 360 and play but I sit too far away to do that without a USB extension.

Thanks for all the help, I still can't figure it out.

I played guitar hero, went back to the dashboard, disconnected the guitar and turned on the controller and the controller keeps coming up as number 2.

I really hate having to power cycle all the time, this can't be good for it.

When I want to switch from the guitar to a regular controller, I turn off the guitar controller and when I get the "reconnect controller" message, I simply power on the standard controller. It will sign in as position 1 (or whatever position the guitar controller was).

It always signs on to position 2. The only way I can get back to position 1 is to power off and then on.

Correct.

The above solutions only work if the controller was never turned on.

It can be frustrating, but it's a benefit to those of us who accidentally disconnect stuff (yay for breakaway cables).

Get to the dashboard, Hold the XBOX button on the guitar controller until you get the shutdown menu, Select "Turn off controller", Then power up the standard controller. That's how I do it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts