OTHER X2 Premium > Vbox & USALS motor!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
I decided to switch receivers from a MicroHD to an X2 Premium. Before I ask my question, here is a diagram of my current
setup:

X2 > VBOX > USALS HH-Motor (Ku dish) > MODIFIED WNC Switch > C-Band Orthomode Feed and KU-Band Dual Output LNBF

The X2 Drives the BUD without problems. However when I switch to a Ku Sat (HH-Motor USALS), the X2 drives the BUD
and not the HH-Motor motor. It makes no sense at all but the X2 drives the VBOX to position 23 when it should be driving the
HH-motor. It doesn't make any attempt at all to drive the HH-motor. The only way I can move the HH-motor is to go into MENU>
ANTENNA SETTTING>USALS>PRESS "GO" button. Then it will move the HH-MOTOR to position. If I'm viewing a Ku Sat then
switch to a C-BAND Sat, it works correctly (drives BUD to desired position). The only way I know how to resolve this would be to
install a switch before the VBOX. Then we're back to the "don't drive a motor through a switch" problem. :confused:

Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated!

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this:

X2>SWITCH>VBOX>SPLITTER/COMBINER>USALS HH-MOTOR>WNC MULTISWITCH>BUD/KU DISHES
|
|__________________|

The switch needs a path to complete the circuit when it's activated. To resolve that problem, I installed a
splitter/combiner. When the switch is activated, the VBOX is out of circuit and the X2 is connected directly
to the USALS HH-Motor. Does this work? Kinda ... somehow the VBOX still moves sometimes eventhough
it's out of circuit. The only explaination for that is the VBOX is listening for commands on the ANTENNA side of
the box as well. I've never tried using 2 switches, but I might have to replace the splitter/combiner with a
second switch to insure that the VBOX is completely out of the circuit.

I'll try some different ideas today to resolve the problem. The left two vertical lines belong under the switch
and not the X2. The board keeps taking the spaces out and moving them to the left

I'm using two switches on mine. X2 to V-Box and then to a 1x4 generic DISEqC switch that port 1 goes to my C band dish with a 1x4 Zimwell switch on it with 13V and 18V ports [it's an orthomode feed] and port 2 goes to my Ku, this works fine for me.

There's also a setting in the Satellite Settings menu of the X2 that I need to set for whatever port I'm using on the first switch, it's in Satellite Settings, then select whatever Sat you're trying to set up, then fourth option down that's labeled DISEqC 1.0/1.1, in there I set it for 1/4 if it's for my C dish on port 1 and 2/4 if it's for the Ku on port 2. I'm using USALS for my Ku and DISEqC for the C band. This needs to be done for all Sats. that are setup and even for the Ku Sats. even though they're using USALS and not DISEqC.

Last edited:
I had found the 22KHz/DiSEqC amplitude (control signal level) to be lower than some STBs and there are a few DiSEqC command protocol issues dealing with the order of the issued commands. Will post up a few scope captures so you will see the amplitude and commands.

Passing the control signals through the motor and switches attenuate the signal below the point where the motor can decode. You could experiment with either the X2 output or the HH motor input to see if this signal level limitation could be overcome.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)