OTHER X2 (X-Square) Premium HD II - Won't Boot

dsmith0429

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Lake Placid, FL
Hi, does anyone know how to reset a X2 (X-Square) Premium HD II that is stuck with "on" on the display? I was editing the radio channels, and the unit froze, so I unplugged, waited a few seconds, plugged it back in, and now it just starts up with the X2 logo, then goes blank, and only shows "on" on the display, with no response from the front buttons or with the remote. Will not power off using the power button either. THANKS!

Attachments

• doa.jpg
    doa.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 550
Hi, does anyone know how to reset a X2 (X-Square) Premium HD II that is stuck with "on" on the display? I was editing the radio channels, and the unit froze, so I unplugged, waited a few seconds, plugged it back in, and now it just starts up with the X2 logo, then goes blank, and only shows "on" on the display, with no response from the front buttons or with the remote. Will not power off using the power button either. THANKS!
I used to have an X2 Premium HD II but lightning got it. It used to lock up from time to time (frozen screen) but never experienced your particular problem. Unplugging it was the only way I could find to get it to reset. Have you tried leaving it unplugged for more than a few minutes - maybe an hour? Also, after it comes "on", did you try pressing the FORMAT key on the remote? May be stuck in a video mode you aren't using. Also, try the TV/RADIO key.

I agree that it may be in a video mode your TV cannot display. If possible try a different output, the composite instead of the HDMI.

Were you using the channel editor or the remote to edit channels?

You may need to recover using the loader and serial cable to restore the firmware.

I agree that it may be in a video mode your TV cannot display. If possible try a different output, the composite instead of the HDMI.

You may need to recover using the loader and serial cable to restore the firmware.

I was editing with the remote. I have never been able to get the channel editor/loader to work, I've never been able to connect to the serial port, always came back with an error. I tried Windows XP & Windows 8.1, the same results.

I can't get any response from the receiver with the remote or the buttons on the receiver, it won't even power off without unplugging it. So I'm guessing it's probably dead. Anyway, I ordered a GEOSATpro Micro HD, hoping this will be a better receiver. THANKS for your response.

I used to have an X2 Premium HD II but lightning got it. It used to lock up from time to time (frozen screen) but never experienced your particular problem. Unplugging it was the only way I could find to get it to reset. Have you tried leaving it unplugged for more than a few minutes - maybe an hour? Also, after it comes "on", did you try pressing the FORMAT key on the remote? May be stuck in a video mode you aren't using. Also, try the TV/RADIO key.

I tried leaving it unplugged for several hours, still can't get any response from the receiver with the remote or the buttons on the receiver, it won't even power off without unplugging it. So I'm guessing it's probably dead. Anyway, I ordered a GEOSATpro Micro HD, hoping this will be a better receiver. THANKS for your response.

I tried leaving it unplugged for several hours, still can't get any response from the receiver with the remote or the buttons on the receiver, it won't even power off without unplugging it. So I'm guessing it's probably dead. Anyway, I ordered a GEOSATpro Micro HD, hoping this will be a better receiver. THANKS for your response.
You're welcome, sorry it didn't help. Is it still under warranty by any chance? Maybe you can get X2 to repair/replace it and have it as a backup receiver.

Did you use a null modem cable for rs232 connection? Regular serial won't connect. There is a thread at legitfta with the same problem. The final result wasn't posted, but there is a recovery file/loader attached to that thread.

Catamount

Did you use a null modem cable for rs232 connection? Regular serial won't connect. There is a thread at legitfta with the same problem. The final result wasn't posted, but there is a recovery file/loader attached to that thread.

Catamount
Thanks for the reply. I used the same cable I used on my Fortec Lifetime Ultra receiver, which worked great with that receiver. Maybe it is the cable, going to order one and retry, and thanks for the info.

Did you try unplugging the coax cable from the lnbf? Once you had unplugged the AC cable, that is.. Sometimes that will help unlock a good lockup.

Did you try unplugging the coax cable from the lnbf? Once you had unplugged the AC cable, that is.. Sometimes that will help unlock a good lockup.
Yes, and re-flashing didn't work either. The program uploaded the file, I unplugged, plugged it back in, and still gets stuck after the X2 logo disappears... :(

The loader sent the file to the receiver, but it still won't boot, but I'm also wondering if it is the wrong file for my version of the receiver. Mine is listed as X2 Premium HD II, other than case design, is there a difference between the X2 Premium HD and the X2 Premium HD II? The loader is listed as X2 Premium HD...

Did you use the files Carlos posted for you? That loader is called Flash download terminal version 1.0. I don't own these receivers, but I think that loader and recovery file should work for both.

Catamount

Did you use the files Carlos posted for you? That loader is called Flash download terminal version 1.0. I don't own these receivers, but I think that loader and recovery file should work for both.

Catamount
Yes I tried those files, it shows a progress that it is uploading the file, and states that it finished, but still won't boot. I contacted X2, but haven't received a reply.

Reactions: catamount
Hi everyone, still no luck getting this receiver restored. Contacted x2sat, they said: "the Nand Flash is damaged and will need to use the Programmer to solve it" but didn't provide any details or the Programmer. Anyone know what this is and what I need to give this another try? Does this mean I will need to open the receiver and use a TTL cable and connect to a terminal internally? THANKS!

x2sat was talking to me about my malfunctioning receiver, and I waited three weeks for a firmware upgrade, loaded it, and new problems.

I asked to invoke the warranty.

silence.

I asked again.

silence.

It was inexpensive, but I'm not in the habit of buying things to become landfill in six months.

x2sat was talking to me about my malfunctioning receiver, and I waited three weeks for a firmware upgrade, loaded it, and new problems.

I asked to invoke the warranty.

silence.

I asked again.

silence.

It was inexpensive, but I'm not in the habit of buying things to become landfill in six months.
Yep, the only response I got from them was a discount for their latest model instead of honoring their warranty. That's why I went with a GEOSATpro microHD instead, and then went for their latest, GEOSATpro HDVR 3500. I've had nothing but great support from SatelliteAV.

Reactions: ayelvington
That's why I went with a GEOSATpro microHD instead...

Nice to read. My microHD arrives in the mail tomorrow.

On the X2sat front, I filed a complaint with PayPal so they are on the record for their poor business practices. Probably won't see my money back (after 180 day period thanks to them stalling me with the promise of a firmware-based fix), but I'm hoping that they see the warning shot across their bow. I belong to a lantern collecting forum, and there is an active blacklist for unscrupulous Ebay buyers and sellers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)