XBOX One Owners Thread

External Storage functionality confirmed, along with many other updates for the June Update.

FYI, any external HDD is compatible as long as it's 256GB or more.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-one-june-features-preview

I think the part where you can install games to an external HDD instead of the internal drive could be really useful for certain people. They said you can take your external drive to another Xbox One, sign into your Live account and play your games without waiting for download or installation from a disk. This means that if you have more than one console you can choose to only download that 45GB+ file once and only take up space on the external drive instead of both consoles. It would also be useful for people who want to take their games over to a friends house and play without waiting. This is the first solid benefit I have seen to using external HDDs to increase storage instead of an easily swappable internal drive.

For me, the PS4's easily upgradable internal drive still makes more sense. I don't have multiples of the same console and I don't have the need to take my games to a friend's house. I think some people will really like this feature though.

I have a feeling it's on their to-do list, but I can see the other stuff taking precedent like all the bug fixes, Live Issues, and External storage. Maybe it'll be in by the end of the year.

More apps coming to both Xbox One and 360 along with deeper Twitter integration for Xbox One.

New app experiences coming to Xbox One and Xbox 360 include:

• Antena 3. Xbox One: ES
  • ChiliTV. Xbox One: IT
  • Comedy Central. Xbox One: US
  • Crunchyroll. Xbox One: AU, AT, BR, CA, DE, ES, FR, IE, IT, MX, NZ, UK, US
  • ENCORE Play. Xbox One: US
  • EPIX. Xbox One: US
  • Filmbox Live. Xbox 360: AR, AU, AT, BE, BR, CA, CL, CO, CZ, DK, FI, FR, DE, GR, HK, HU, IN, IE, IL, IT, JP, MX, NL, NZ, NO, PL, PT, RU, SA, SG, SK, ZA, KR, ES, SE, CH, TW, TR, AE, UK, US
  • Fox Play. Xbox One: MX, BR. Xbox 360: MX, BR, AR, CO, CH
  • Frightflix. Xbox One: US
  • FXNOW. Xbox 360: US
  • Gol TV. Xbox One: ES
  • GoPro. Xbox One: US, CA, MX, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES, AU, BR, AT, NZ, IR
  • HBO GO. Xbox One: US: Xbox 360: MX, BR, AR, CO, CH
  • iHeartRadio. Xbox One: US
  • Infinity. Xbox One: IT
  • IVI. Xbox 360: RU
  • KDrama. Xbox One: AU, AT, BR, CA, DE, ES, FR, IE, IT, MX, NZ, UK, US. Xbox 360: AR, AU, AT, BE, BR, CA, CL, CO, CZ, DK, FI, FR, DE, GR, HK, HU, IN, IE, IL, IT, MX, NL, NZ, NO, PL, PT, RU, SA, SG, SK, ZA, ES, SE, CH, TW, TR, AE, UK, US
  • maxdome. Xbox One: AT, DE
  • MLG. Xbox One: US, UK, CA, AU
  • MOVIEPLEX Play. Xbox One: US
  • MTV. Xbox One: US
  • NBA. Xbox One: AT, AU, BR, CA, FR, DE, IE, IT, MX, ES, NZ, UK, US
  • NHL. Xbox One: US, CA, MX, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES, AU, BR, AT, NZ, IR. Xbox 360: US, CA, MX, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES, JP, AU, BR, NL, SE, RU, TW, PL, IN, HK, TR, BE, AT, NZ, SA, AR, NO, CH, SG, ZA, IR, DK, CO, CL, FI, CZ, HU, IL, GR, PT, SK
  • Now TV. Xbox One: UK
  • Picturebox. Xbox 360: UK
  • Popcornflix. Xbox One: US
  • ShowTime Anytime. Xbox 360: US
  • Sky News. Xbox One: UK, IE, US, CA. Xbox 360: UK, IE, US, CA
  • Sky Online. Xbox One: IT
  • STARZ Play. Xbox One: US
  • STV. Xbox 360: UK
  • Syfy Now. Xbox One: US
  • Target Ticket. Xbox One: US
  • TuneIn. Xbox One: US, CA, MX, UK, FR, DE, IT, ES, AU, BR, AT, NZ, IR
  • TV2. Xbox 360: DK
  • Twitter. Xbox One: US
  • USA Now. Xbox One: US
  • VEO. Xbox One: MX. Xbox 360: MX
  • Vevo. Xbox One: CA, US, AU, FR, DE, IR, BR,ES, IT, UK, NZ
  • VH1. Xbox One: US
  • Vine. Xbox One: US
  • WATCH ABC. Xbox 360: US
  • WATCH Disney Channel. Xbox 360: US
  • WATCH Disney Junior. Xbox 360: US
  • WATCH Disney XD. Xbox 360: US
  • Watchever. Xbox One: DE

Reactions: JamesJ
Sony has the same problem. I'm quite annoyed that they don't have the HBO GO app yet so I still can't watch Game of Thrones on my PS4 which is hooked up to my nice Onkyo..

Has anyone hooked up an EHD to their XBox yet? I just added a Seagate 2TB drive. It took forever to do an update to my Amazon Prime app, but maybe there was some formatting delays or something... I have heard from others that it actually speeded up game load times.... Anyone have any experiences to share on this front yet?

I can't remember if someone here was talking about 3D Blu Ray support.... It's coming next month among other things:

• Activity feed updates: We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).

• Expanded Friends area on Home: Right from Home, see what’s going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We’re doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it’s ready for the entire Xbox One market.

• Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.

• Low battery notification: You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.

• Disable notifications during video: Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you.

• Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.

• OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Live TV listings can be configured for four new countries as part of this month’s Preview program. And now there is an OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section.

• Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”

http://majornelson.com/2014/07/18/next-xbox-one-update/

The Xbox One is a Lying Failure Machine (according to Jim Sterling)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

While I don't fully agree with that statement, I DO agree with a number of points that MS basically kept lying and backtracking between the DRM issue (remember them saying they couldn't just flip a switch?) and saying the Kinect was a REQUIREMENT for the One to function properly (so I guess the $399 One is a fluke.) Until some more stuff comes out for it, it's basically, as my cousin called it, "The Titanfall Console."

Quite the click bait headline, I don't see his character and argument being much more than that, it got you to post it here, so mission accomplished.

They couldn't just flip a switch, it obviously took a lot of work to roll back the DRM scheme. It didn't change overnight. The Kinect absolutely is a requirement to smoothly operate the console even today. 'Xbox Snap ESPN' accomplishes with 3 words something that is probably over a dozen button presses to accomplish otherwise and applies to a variety of uses - gaming or otherwise - across the console. Saying 'What was in MS's head is something they were not capable of producing' (his words) is disingenuous... since reacting to what consumers (think they) want is now a bad thing - we never saw what was in their head. Even now they're still talking about going down that path in some ways, they've mentioned exploring thing like gifting and loaning your digital titles in the future.

Couldn't get through the video blog, he was pouring it on way too thick. I expect stuff like this continue to be created/posted for the duration of the console generation though.

Personally I wish we'd gotten their always-connected original vision for the console. We've already gotten that for many titles. Destiny is always online, NBA2k patched in an always-online requirement after launch, etc. But we can't have that, because the internet. I am hopeful we'll get many of the features they intended to introduce in time as they crank out monthly updates to console that have been pretty awesome. Unlike my PS4 I am excited for how the Xbox One will continue to evolve to meet consumer demands (known by some as lying apparently), because I know it will. My PS4 on the other hand will look the same in a decade, as my PS3 did. Yet somehow that will be a net positive.

They are doing their best to be as friendly to gamers as possible. I liked the idea they had of buying a game once and letting all ID's on your account play them.

Reactions: meStevo
Quite the click bait headline, I don't see his character and argument being much more than that, it got you to post it here, so mission accomplished.

They couldn't just flip a switch, it obviously took a lot of work to roll back the DRM scheme. It didn't change overnight. The Kinect absolutely is a requirement to smoothly operate the console even today. 'Xbox Snap ESPN' accomplishes with 3 words something that is probably over a dozen button presses to accomplish otherwise and applies to a variety of uses - gaming or otherwise - across the console. Saying 'What was in MS's head is something they were not capable of producing' (his words) is disingenuous... since reacting to what consumers (think they) want is now a bad thing - we never saw what was in their head. Even now they're still talking about going down that path in some ways, they've mentioned exploring thing like gifting and loaning your digital titles in the future.

Couldn't get through the video blog, he was pouring it on way too thick. I expect stuff like this continue to be created/posted for the duration of the console generation though.

Personally I wish we'd gotten their always-connected original vision for the console. We've already gotten that for many titles. Destiny is always online, NBA2k patched in an always-online requirement after launch, etc. But we can't have that, because the internet. I am hopeful we'll get many of the features they intended to introduce in time as they crank out monthly updates to console that have been pretty awesome. Unlike my PS4 I am excited for how the Xbox One will continue to evolve to meet consumer demands (known by some as lying apparently), because I know it will. My PS4 on the other hand will look the same in a decade, as my PS3 did. Yet somehow that will be a net positive.
First off, I resent this being considered a case of "click bait" and that I was "baited" by Mr. Sterling. While I don't agree with EVERYTHING he says, I strongly agree with his pro-consumer stance on many things, and as far as the One is concerned, Microsoft has been very UNfriendly.

At the end of the day, you can NOT deny the fact that Microsoft either A: Flat out lied, or B: Tried to shove bullsh*t down our throats. For one, declaring that the Kinect was a requirement was a massively dumb decision, because A: It was NOT required, and B: It pushed the One out of the pricing range of many consumers, many of whom decided to get the PS4 instead because it was $100 cheaper and didn't have any hardware they didn't want. The massive sales increase they got when they removed the Kinect is proof positive of that. You said it's a requirement for "Smooth operation" and cite an example for snapping in ESPN. Then in your next statement you say you could do the same thing without Kinect but it would require more steps. For many people, it's not worth paying the extra $100 to do that in 1 step.

Many people don't care about Kinect features, and it's becoming increasingly more evident over time that the whole "motion control" craze is about to meet the same fate as the Guitar Hero/Rock Band one. Yet Microsoft was insistent that "YOU NEED THE KINECT!!!" And I don't give them a lot of credit for releasing the One without the Kinect, because A: It's an admission that they lied, and B: They're just doing what they should have done from the beginning! The Kinect should really be marketed as an accessory as opposed to a requirement. It's clear that it's not essential for gameplay or enhances regular gaming in any way. Take a look at the various Kinect only games. They're all either party games or dance games, and I'd argue the majority of gamers don't partake in either of those types of games. And yelling out voice commands isn't beneficial when the same thing can be accomplished quicker and easier with a button press. And for full disclosure, when I do end up eventually picking up the One, I will be likely getting the Kinect version, because my family likes playing Dance games and I've heard they're going to try and create some more interactive educational games with those features. And maybe someday I'll finally have enough money to where I can start paying for a STB for my cable service and take advantage of those features. And finally, from what I've read the Kinect is hardly a god-send for navigating the One. People are still complaining about lack of recognition, and I don't like any system that will just pick up ANY voice and follow it's command. Scott was talking about how his kids would constantly yell "Xbox Turn Off!" Still, they do have time to improve on this and I hope they do because as of now they're not quite at the full multimedia experience that they declared it would be at last year's E3.

As far as the always online DRM thing, there is NO defending that. Okay, so it wasn't as simple as "flipping a switch" but at the end of the day they were able to remove it. And they don't get credit for removing that either because they "listened to the consumer." The consumer never wanted it in the first place. That would be like if I walked into my friend's kitchen and took a crap on their floor. Then as people yelled at me, I denied a took a crap there and let it sit there, refusing to clean it. Then a month later I came back to the house and said, "You're right, I crapped on the floor!" and then cleaned it up. I don't get "credit" for "listening" to people complaining, I should be scorned for making such a stupid decision in the first place!

There has never been an instance that I know of in the history of gaming where a game's experience was enhanced by requiring a constant internet connection to play the game. I am NOT referring to MMOs or multiplayer only games where online is part of the core experience, but rather games like Assassin's Creed 2 that constantly broke because of people's internet going out or Ubisoft's servers not being able to handle the load, which would then cause OTHER games to fail because people couldn't log into Ubisoft's COMPLETELY unnecessary uPlay DRM service. Or the new Simcity which had MULTIPLE problems due to always being online due to a DRM system that was CLEARLY thought up by EA and not Maxis, which Maxis eventually removed.

I didn't post this video with the intention of participating in "click baiting" or to troll people who own the One. I feel that Microsoft's issues with the One are part of a bigger problem among various game publishers where they try to push sh*t down our throats under the pretenses of "This is the way it has to be!" I'd almost have more respect for Microsoft if they'd just stuck with their original positions (well not the DRM but the Kinect requirement) and really made them true. Apple is infamous for the "it has to be this way" method of marketing and it's worked well because they had solid and logical technology behind it. Microsoft isn't as smart apparently with their methods of doing so. And now companies like Harmonix are SOL because they made development decisions based on the belief that the Kinect would be on all One consoles. Now they've learned their potential market share has shrunk. And that's because they believed the lie.

Anyways that's my thoughts on the matter.. now then..

I look forward to your opinion when you own one. Not going to go around and around when your source is the internet rather than personal experience, with all due respect.

Here's a video I made a little while back, thanks to the command 'Xbox, Record that' during live gameplay and then spliced together with the included video editor.

In the end though, for our use case, while changing a diaper and saying 'Xbox, Pause' or 'Xbox, Volume Up' - Kinect is priceless.

I'll be interested in seeing where they take this. $30 a year isn't half bad depending on how many games are included in the service. I'm sure they won't be giving out access to new releases on day one for that price but really, nothing is that old on the new consoles yet. The fact that they list games that aren't even out yet, like Dragon Age Inquisition and NHL 15, as "coming soon" is pretty encouraging.

If this service included all EA published games on the Xbox One within a reasonable time frame after release it would definitely be worth $30 per year to me. Something like 3-6 months after release could give them a window where hardcore people still buy on day one but people who are willing to wait can get games that are still semi-relevant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)