XBOX One Owners Thread

At this point I do not think it matters. Anyone wanting to JUST watch netflix or other streaming services probably isnt using the xbox, because other cheaper options let you do it without the added expense.

Id wager the vast majority of XBOX Gold subs are subs for online multiplayer anyway, and will continue to be so.

I am mad they are dropping the kinect and the price. I don't really care about the kinect.

I am mad they are dropping the kinect and the price. I don't really care about the kinect.
That's the risk of being an early adopter. To be fair, Microsoft often said "Xbox One and Kinect are inseparable so just deal with it" so to see them turn around within 6 months of release is a bit of a slap in the face. Like I said though, it does show that they are actually listening to the fans, which is a nice change. Perhaps if other companies did the same *cough NINTENDO* they'd be in a better place.

Since it will no longer require the kinect, you can always sell the kinect now and recoup some of your investment.

As for being mad about the price drop. The price always drops at some point, the early adopters always pay more.

Interesting theory on why the PS4 is selling so much better than the XBone..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...-People-More-Satisfied-With-Xbox-360-Than-PS3

That's some pretty weak spin talk. In the last couple years before the new consoles came out my 360 was only used for Gears and Halo. Everything else was played on the PS3. To be fair, there were some circumstances that caused that besides me just liking my PS3 better. I got my 360 on launch day and played the crap out of it. It was repaired/replaced 3 times for RROD so I likely didn't still have the same launch day system when I retired it but it was the same model.

It sounded like a jet taking off, the disc drive was starting to fail, and the tiny hard drive was only big enough for me to fit 1 full sized game on it. I got into PS3 after the slim model came out and there was no comparison. It was quiet, had a big hard drive, and I didn't have to worry about it dying. If it would have went the other way around with me having a launch fatty PS3 and one of the 360 Slim models the 360 probably would have been the one getting all the love the last few years.

His comment that people were more satisfied with their 360's is weird to me. They were comparable machines but the PS3 came storming back to take the lead in consoles sold at the end even with Xbox trouncing them for the first several years. Why was the PS3 outselling the 360 by such a wide margin for the last several years if the 360 was so much better? I don't see either one of those consoles as inherently more satisfying than the other.

The real reasons they aren't selling as well are because of price and the fact that they made the hardcore gamers who are more likely to be early adopters hate them with all their announcement gaffs. All the bad PR takes a while to recover from once you turn everyone to your competition. Luckily for them they have started to fix those problems. The press has gotten more and more favorable ever since they started listening to people. Phil Spencer seems to have them headed in the right direction since he took over. I can easily see them dominating the US market again by the end of this console cycle if they keep this up. Yes they are still pretty far behind but PS4 has only sold 7 million units so far. By the end of the last gen each console had sold over 80 million. Everything that has happened so far is still just a drop in the bucket when you look at the big picture.

Xbox 360 had a year headstart on the PS4. That quickly got them a larger install base, and later friends got what their friends already had. The larger PS3 price at the time ($599) didn't help matters either.

Been interesting to see what would have happened if they came out at the same time and roughly same price.

If Games With Gold continues to improve and get closer to PS Plus this will become more and more necessary. My 120GB PS3 was always full forcing me to think about which digital games I wanted stored on the system at any given time. Sure, you can always delete games and install them again later but it kind of ruins those times when you get the random urge to jump into a game you haven't played for a while if you have to wait a couple hours for it to download.

I haven't come close to filling up the drive on either new console yet but a lot of these games I have downloaded are 45GB+. I'm definitely going to want more storage at some point. I just wish Microsoft would have let us easily replace the internal drive like the PS4 did. Apparently it's possible but you have to take out a bunch of pieces to do it instead of the single screw on PS4. You also need to use Linux to transfer OS files from the official drive to the new one because the system isn't designed to do it on it's own.

It's just a cleaner look than putting an external drive in the entertainment center. That's just another box, 2 more wires, and an extra electrical socket required when I already have a rats nest back there.

If Games With Gold continues to improve and get closer to PS Plus this will become more and more necessary. My 120GB PS3 was always full forcing me to think about which digital games I wanted stored on the system at any given time. Sure, you can always delete games and install them again later but it kind of ruins those times when you get the random urge to jump into a game you haven't played for a while if you have to wait a couple hours for it to download.
That's pretty much why my PS3 was upgraded to 500GB and then 1TB.

Games with Gold now has my 360 HDD getting fuller & fuller, making me wonder if the 320GB will be enough in the near future.

Eh, at least you can supplement your storage with thumb drives. "$ony" takes storage-gouging crown with Vita memory cards. They aren't optional and almost every user will have to buy one/another.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

But then Micro$oft couldn't charge us way more than the HDD's are actually worth.

Well they won't be the ones selling the external hard drives. I mean they might make their own model but you should be able to use WD or whatever brand external hard drive you want. It's not a terrible solution. I just prefer the way Sony makes it easy to put in any laptop HDD or SSD. It would have been nice if they would have taken this universal standard approach with the Vita too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eh, at least you can supplement your storage with thumb drives. "$ony" takes storage-gouging crown with Vita memory cards. They aren't optional and almost every user will have to buy one/another.
Tell me about it. It surprised me when they did that, as the PS3 (at first) and the PSP used industry standard cards, as well as they PS3 HDD.

Are we sure of that? Have Microsoft actually come out and said it will use a standard drive? Their history with the Xbox/Xbox 360/Xbox One Internal drives doesn't give me much confidence.
It's a USB 3.0 port that's being connected to, and for Microsoft to be the ONLY console to not support standard memory would look really bad. Yes I realize that they didn't support standard memory last generation, but having a big HDD wasn't as necessary as it is now.

It's a USB 3.0 port that's being connected to, and for Microsoft to be the ONLY console to not support standard memory would look really bad.
Just because it uses a USB 3.0 port, doesn't mean it will support a standard drive. It's easy to make a proprietary drive requirement with just the addition of a controller chip.

The 360 drive is SATA, and that doesn't stop the proprietary drive requirement.

As the only one with an external drive, I don't think they'd care about looking bad. Microsoft never has cared when making things proprietary.

Just because it uses a USB 3.0 port, doesn't mean it will support a standard drive. It's easy to make a proprietary drive requirement with just the addition of a controller chip.

The 360 drive is SATA, and that doesn't stop the proprietary drive requirement.

As the only one with an external drive, I don't think they'd care about looking bad. Microsoft never has cared when making things proprietary.
Yes but when Sony is kicking your ass in sales and they're trying to build momentum, the last thing they need is another knock against them. I'm sure Microsoft is going to sell an "Official" Xbox One External HDD, but any potential profits they could make from doing it proprietary and jacking up the price will be countered by lost sales for people going to the PS4. Microsoft got away with it last generation because their system came out first and it was part of the design and it was the first system to have easily swappable memory.

Maybe 3+ years ago Microsoft would have pulled this stuff, but it's fairly obvious nowadays that Microsoft no longer has the "Our sh*t doesn't stink" attitude. When people revolted at the DRM/No Used Games/Required Internet Connection requirements of the One, Microsoft rescinded. When people said "We don't give a sh*t about the Kinect and this device is too damn expensive," they listened. When people said, "The fact that we have to pay to watch free videos on our Xbox is Bullsh!t," they listened. They know that releasing proprietary hardware will look REALLY bad. I think they're just going to do like what they did with the USB external storage of the 360, where you can get the "Official" storage and pay more, or just get whatever you want but potentially expect less than desired performance (or potentially better performance if you want to spend more.)

Well they supported other brand external hard drives last generation but they were weird about it. In college one of my roomates used a 2TB WD external HDD to play his DVD rips on my 360 all the time. They did limit you to 32GB for game saves and installed games, probably so they could sell their own drives. You could use any size drive you want but it would format it so only 32GB was usable with the 360 gaming features. You could use the full amount of space available on your drive for media purposes.

As for the Xbox One, all they said was that we would be able to use USB 3.0 external HDDs. I suppose they could use some kind of formatting or software to limit this to Xbox licensed drives but I really don't think they will do that. They seem much more gamer friendly since Phil Spencer took over.

Well they supported other brand external hard drives last generation but they were weird about it. In college one of my roomates used a 2TB WD external HDD to play his DVD rips on my 360 all the time. They did limit you to 32GB for game saves and installed games, probably so they could sell their own drives. You could use any size drive you want but it would format it so only 32GB was usable with the 360 gaming features. You could use the full amount of space available on your drive for media purposes.

As for the Xbox One, all they said was that we would be able to use USB 3.0 external HDDs. I suppose they could use some kind of formatting or software to limit this to Xbox licensed drives only but I really don't think they will do that. They seem much more gamer friendly since Phil Spencer took over.
Exactly. All they'll do is require you to format the HDD to their OS so you can't just throw whatever you want on it to talk to the One.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)