XBOX One Owners Thread

I forgot all about the single player campaign. Yeah I didn't exactly hear great things either about it, but if it's free why not?

I forgot all about the single player campaign. Yeah I didn't exactly hear great things either about it, but if it's free why not?

Too bad there isn't co-op available. We could probably knock the whole game out during the free period if there was.

Don't hold your breath for that elusive and apparently extremely hard to implement background music feature on the One. You know, that feature that's existed in the previous 2 Xbox consoles and is also now currently on the PS4?
https://www.vg247.com/2016/01/15/background-music-play-on-xbox-one-not-before-summer-spencer/

Yeah this is a bummer. I just used Spotify for a couple hours while playing Black Ops 3 with some friends tonight. It works really well and you can even see what is playing and control the music with a smart phone or tablet. It was nice being able to skip songs or search for new stuff on the iPad without having to minimize my game and go back to the app on the console. It was my first time using it and I was surprised at how slick it was.

When I first started it up the music was too loud to hear party chat clearly in my headset but all you have to do is hold the home button down for a second until the normal shutdown Playstation menu comes up and you can independently control the music volume from that screen.

I do wish this was available on the Xbox One because I would get a lot more use out of it there. It works well with the types of games I typically play on Xbox more than the single player stuff I usually play on PS4.

I also wish I could do it with Amazon Prime Music instead of Spotify so I wouldn't have to listen to commercials and I could use the same playlists I use on my PC and phone.

A handful of new titles have been announced for BC. Also, Microsoft announced that rather than doing monthly releases, they're going to release games as they are "ready."

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/21/10...ibility-titles-update-free-game-the-witcher-2

I'm not sure if this new schedule is good or bad. Either A: They're planning on getting more titles out at a faster pace to satisfy customer demand so rather than doing it monthly they'll let them trickle out at a faster rate, or B: They've run into problems getting as many games out as they want to where a monthly schedule is sustainable, so rather than come up with nothing or very few games a month, instead extend it out so that there's no set "deadline" and it allows them to get them out at their own pace. Hopefully it's the former and not the latter.

A handful of new titles have been announced for BC. Also, Microsoft announced that rather than doing monthly releases, they're going to release games as they are "ready."

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/21/10...ibility-titles-update-free-game-the-witcher-2

I'm not sure if this new schedule is good or bad. Either A: They're planning on getting more titles out at a faster pace to satisfy customer demand so rather than doing it monthly they'll let them trickle out at a faster rate, or B: They've run into problems getting as many games out as they want to where a monthly schedule is sustainable, so rather than come up with nothing or very few games a month, instead extend it out so that there's no set "deadline" and it allows them to get them out at their own pace. Hopefully it's the former and not the latter.

Another month without a single game I want to play. I think it's better that they are leaving these monthly releases behind because it creates a lot of buildup for announcements that end up being underwhelming.

I'm surprised the CoD games haven't been converted yet. I mean it seems like a no-brainer. I don't think it costs the publisher anything and you're basically opening your games up to a new audience, a new audience that makes up potential DLC buyers. Even if only 10% of the new players get DLC Activision would still win. Then again CoD games are SO twitch/speed dependent, and as we've seen with other games the BC process sometimes yields some frame rate drops, and that's simply unacceptable for success in CoD. And you'd figure smaller releases would be all over this also as it immediately opens you up to a new audience and brings your game's name to the forefront once again. I mean whatever, it doesn't affect me much since I still have my 360, but for everyone else it stinks.

I'm surprised the CoD games haven't been converted yet. I mean it seems like a no-brainer. I don't think it costs the publisher anything and you're basically opening your games up to a new audience, a new audience that makes up potential DLC buyers. Even if only 10% of the new players get DLC Activision would still win. Then again CoD games are SO twitch/speed dependent, and as we've seen with other games the BC process sometimes yields some frame rate drops, and that's simply unacceptable for success in CoD. And you'd figure smaller releases would be all over this also as it immediately opens you up to a new audience and brings your game's name to the forefront once again. I mean whatever, it doesn't affect me much since I still have my 360, but for everyone else it stinks.

I think the reason that COD hasn't been a priority is because most people move on to the new one every Fall. I agree that it's something that should just be done though. They say it doesn't cost them anything and that all 360 games should just work without any extra coding specific to Xbox One.

By that same reasoning I still don't understand why the rollout is so slow. If it was really as easy as they said it is there is no excuse for not at least having all Microsoft first party games available by now.

Well I think it's quite apparent that it's NOT as easy as it sounds. Another case of management speaking before checking with the devs to make sure that what they're saying is actually accurate. This happens CONSTANTLY in the IT world. I mean, Phil Spencer strikes me as a smart man but as someone who has worked in programming/integration for more than a decade I can tell you that people in charge only have high level understanding of most things. Still, I'd argue it's better than Playstation Now. They may have more games available at any given time, but at least A: You don't have to pay for BC and B: You don't need awesome internet to enjoy BC.

Well I think it's quite apparent that it's NOT as easy as it sounds. Another case of management speaking before checking with the devs to make sure that what they're saying is actually accurate. This happens CONSTANTLY in the IT world. I mean, Phil Spencer strikes me as a smart man but as someone who has worked in programming/integration for more than a decade I can tell you that people in charge only have high level understanding of most things. Still, I'd argue it's better than Playstation Now. They may have more games available at any given time, but at least A: You don't have to pay for BC and B: You don't need awesome internet to enjoy BC.

Oh yeah, backwards compatibility is definitely better than PS Now. As much as I have bashed the game selection I have actually used backwards compatibility on my Xbox One a few times. I have never even thought about subscribing to PS Now though. I'm not paying a subscription to play old games, especially if they are games I already own.

As I mentioned (ironically) in the PS4 thread, my Xbox One and 360 have taken an INSUFFERABLE amount of time to log me in, which means that I can't use my consoles until they successfully log in to Live. And in many cases this can take upwards of 60 seconds. First I contacted Microsoft, who told me to forward some ports. Of course that didn't work. Then I tried plugging directly into the modem, bypassing any port restrictions. Had the same issue. Then I called my ISP and they said that basically there was nothing they could do about it and to yell at Microsoft. So on a hunch, I changed my consoles to no longer automatically log me in on startup, even though I'm the only one that uses it. Instead I would manually connect to Live. Sure enough, once I did that, the time I had to wait to use my One was less than 10 seconds. I'm not 100% sure that my 360's startup speed increased, but the difference on the One was undeniable. I just love when I waste over an hour talking to different tech support people, only to find out the solution was COMPLETELY unrelated to their suggestions.

That would have been nice to know when the GOTY Edition was on sale for $7.50. I passed on it a couple times because I no longer have a 360 and didn't know for sure that I would ever be able to play it. It's one of those games I always meant to play but never got to. I guess I'll grab it next time the digital version is on sale.

Never played a Castlevania game either.
giphy.gif

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

giphy.gif

Yeah. The NES released in the US 2 years before I was born. My parents got me one from a garage sale just before the SNES released and it came with a bunch of games. Those were basically the only Nintendo games I ever owned until I got my 3DS a couple years ago. I didn't get really into gaming until the PS1 days. I definitely missed a lot of the classics from that era.

giphy.gif

My only experience of Castlevania was Lords of Shadow, which ironically features the voice work of Patrick Stewart. I know it's nothing like the original Castlevania games -- and got unfairly knocked for that fact in reviews. As a God of War rip-off, it was a decent game. I enjoyed it. This review gives a fair assessment despite the lower grade for not being like older Castlevania games.

Major Nelson has personally chimed in about the RDR BC controversy. Apparently it and some other games were in a testing phase and something went wrong that allowed some of the games in testing to be released online early. He apologized, but gave no timeline as to when it or the other games would be available for BC.

Wow. I don't mean to sound like a pompous video game snob but I guess as a guy who grew up on the NES I just assumed that more people have played at least one classic Castlevania game in their life. Well, it is a legendary IP (or at least it WAS.) I highly recommend the AVGN's retrospective of the old school Castlevania games (everything up to Symphony of the Night.) Yes, it is NSFW due to language.

I've thought about using emulators to go back and play some of the classic games that I missed but I have so many current games I want to play that it never ends up happening. I actually think I bought one of the Castlevania games from Virtual Console on my 3DS but I've never played it.