XBOX One Owners Thread

Well here's some sad news to report.. Microsoft is cancelling Fable Legends, is closing Press Play Studios and is in talks to close Lionhead studios as well. I actually got into the Fable Legends closed beta a few days ago. It was going to be a F2P game that I'm guessing would be like a MOBA but with a 3rd person perspective, but now it looks all for not. Feel bad for the staff that was working on this game for years only to have it never be released and now need to probably find new jobs assuming they close Lionhead.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/7/11172408/fable-legends-canceled-lionhead-studios-closing

If this was far enough along to have a beta it seems like they should have let them finish and release it. It had to be pretty close to being finished. Even if it didn't do very well they could have recovered at least some of their costs.

I would think it would have to be a terrible mess that would have been a huge embarrassment at release to cancel it at this stage. It seems like at least some people were enjoying the beta though.

I think it's a stretch to think that given the model. It's a free to play online game with multiple years of development. Pushing it out the door means taking on a pretty large support operation from a server/customer support end of things.

I think it's a stretch to think that given the model. It's a free to play online game with multiple years of development. Pushing it out the door means taking on a pretty large support operation from a server/customer support end of things.

That's true. I don't know much about the game since I've never had much interest in it. If it was a free-to-play hero style game like a MOBA there would be an expectation that new characters would continually be added over time. This involves constant balancing updates. I guess it's not a case where they could push it out the door and then close the studio.

Another thing to remember is that Fable Legends has been in development and beta for quite a while. Development started in Summer 2012 and the beta has been going on since October of 2014. I get the feeling the developers weren't making the progress that Microsoft had hoped for and even though the game was quite a bit along, the ongoing development costs along with no clear date as to when the game would start making money (by opening it up to the public) turned the game into a risk that Microsoft wasn't willing to take. While many F2P games make money there are even more that don't and once they started auditing and crunching the numbers they probably decided that odds were good that Microsoft wasn't going to make their development/support costs back.

Just to clarify, NO, the Xbox One is NOT getting modular hardware upgrades.

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/...ular-console-upgrades-not-our-plan&GroupKeys=

I never assumed that was what he meant. I thought it would be more like an iPad situation where there is a slightly more powerful version released every year or every couple years instead of going 8 years between generations. This makes sense when mid-range PCs were stronger than the consoles even at launch. If they tried to wait 8 years after the Xbox One released on the same hardware the gap between Xbox and a mid range PC would be massive.

Games would have to be able to look at which version of the hardware you own and scale the graphics settings automatically for this to be viable for the console audience. I don't think that allowing the masses to choose their own settings would be a good idea because this is something the mainstream console audience doesn't understand.

Eventually some games may not support the original Xbox One model and I'm okay with that as long as that day is at least a few more years out. I think incremental upgrades every year might make more sense than scraping the entire platform and starting over on new console generations. It works in the smartphone/tablet market and it works in a different way on PC. I'm not sure why it couldn't work in the console market too as long as it as streamlined as the iPad is now.

Arguably more money in console development, and if they can do PC and console why would they not do both?

I think there's a way they can do the modular thing and have it not be a cluster, but doubt this current console could support it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So a big thread on the Xbox One subreddit has come on where people have been justifiably pissed off at how unreliable Live has been as of late, and have been most pissed off at the fact that Microsoft seems to have used the Phone Company Excuse in their dealings with angry customers.

Anyways Major Nelson chimed in and said he'd bring these complaints to the Xbox Live team and see what they come up with. I honestly don't have much faith that they'll do anything but at least he's finally ACKNOWLEDGING the angry customers. As they say,

tumblr_lgedv2Vtt21qf4x93o1_40020110725-22047-38imqt.jpg

So Rod Fergusson answered 105 (rapid fire) questions about Gears 4. A number of the questions are just stupid and cringe-worthy but if you're fan of the series you'll actually learn some real stuff about the upcoming game, like how sadly (although not unexpectedly) that the SP will be 30 FPS and MP will be 60 FPS. Worth a look.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...estions-and-answers-about-gears-of-war-4.aspx

So Rod Fergusson answered 105 (rapid fire) questions about Gears 4. A number of the questions are just stupid and cringe-worthy but if you're fan of the series you'll actually learn some real stuff about the upcoming game, like how sadly (although not unexpectedly) that the SP will be 30 FPS and MP will be 60 FPS. Worth a look.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...estions-and-answers-about-gears-of-war-4.aspx

That was one of the dumbest formats for an interview I have ever seen. There was some decent information in there. Unfortunately it was outweighed by stupidity.

I'm really hoping this comes out on PC at the same time as console and has cross-play functionality so I can play horde mode with people on Xbox. I will own this game eventually anyways but if they do those two things I would pre-order even at full price.

It looks like if anything negative will be levied towards Quantum Break, it won't be that the game was rushed before release. It looks like reviewers have already received copies of the game, and Jim Sterling tweeted this.

I mean to me QB isn't exactly a "system seller" but I love Remedy's previous games and to see them (presumably) succeeding with this innovative new IP sounds promising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts