XBOXES Already SOLD OUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at ebay a few days later after the big fiasco and it looks like the prices dropped a LOT and a lot closer to normal amounts.

I got the Premium which made the most sense, when you add the hard drive (so you can play your old XBOX games) and the HD Cable there is only a $30 price difference between the two. :)

Yup, if people analyse the two packages, few would choose the core system. The problem is that Microsoft will brag about how many core systems sold "proving" that their strategy was a good one. Uh uh. You've just got the desperate ones snapping them up. They'll wind up spending another $100 for the hard drive, another $?? for the HD cables, more money for the wireless controllers, etc. If someone is THAt price sensitive, they will just wait the 12 months until the $100 price drop that inevitably comes when the PS3 ships.

Look for core system sales to plunge once they have a steady supply of the premium packages in stores....

Well they kind of split up the options. I'm not sold on the wireless controller yet and may prefer a wired one. That'll cost me. Premium guys either buy a wired controller or go buy the charge kit. It's really pretty even depending on the user. I could buy the core and spend the same amount after upgrading it...

Microsoft Sued Over 360 Glitch

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Chicago man who bought Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360 has sued the world's largest software maker, saying the new video game console has a design flaw that causes it to overheat and freeze up.

The proposed class action claims that in Microsoft's bid to gain share in the $25 billion global video game market, the company was so intent on releasing the Xbox 360 before competing next-generation machines from Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). and Nintendo Co Ltd. that it sold a "defectively designed" product.

Robert Byers, who brought the suit, said the power supply and central processing unit in the Xbox 360 overheat, affecting heat-sensitive chips and causing the console to lock up.

Microsoft spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell on Monday said the company does not comment on pending litigation.

Complaints about the problem surfaced quickly on gaming enthusiast Web sites after the Xbox 360 debuted on November 22.

Console owners reported that some systems had crashed during regular use as well as during online game play using the Xbox Live service. Problems included screens going black and the appearance of a variety of error messages.

At the time O'Donnell told Reuters: "We have received a few isolated reports of consoles not working as expected."

She declined to say how many reports Microsoft had received and said that calls reporting the issue to the company represented a "very, very small fraction" of units sold.

The lawsuit, filed on Friday in federal court in Illinois, seeks unspecified damages and litigation-related expenses, as well as the replacement or recall of Xbox 360 game consoles.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051205/tc_nm/media_xbox_dc

*grin* Looks like their marketing worked PERFECTLY, and I mean PERFECTLY:

1. HUGE waits and people camping outside
2. BARELY ANY in stores
3. You just can't get them, people pay ridiculous amounts on ebay for them
4. Fake xbox 360 auction frauds
5. Someone complains, sues MS, and gains MS that much more publicity.

In essence, everyone wants one, not everyone can get one, at one point people would pay anything to get one, and MS is getting all over the news. Since they launched first, they'll also get the "Will the 360 live up to the PS3?" and "Will the 360 live up to the Revolution?" publicity as well.

Gotta hand it to MS, they know marketing like the back of their hand. Totally. If they want to dominate an industry, they'll do it.

No and rightfully so. Although they will get the same "My windows blew up when I opened aim" reports. I wonder what goes through someone's mind before they make something up and put it on the internet. Are people SO out of touch with reality that they don't even care or what?

Scott Greczkowski said:
One question though, do I need a component HD cable for the 360 or does it come with it?

A warning to all. If you want true HD you have to use the Microsoft cable. There is a slider switch that you move from TV to HDTV. The Psyclone XBox 360 cable that Best Buy is pushing fits the unit BUT does not have the slider switch (not the ability to "talk" with the CPU and tell it that an HD signal is being sent - the CPU will not turn on the HD signal without the cable telling it that an HD connection is possible) I don't know if the Monster cable version has the switch. No switch, no HD (you'll be capped at 480i resolution, I'm guessing).

I hate the skinny little cables that MS has (I'm worried about power cable interference - but the picture looks amazing so far - even with the linguini thick video cable feeds to the connectors)

if you have it on the tv part instead of the hd part and tell the xbox that you have a 720p or 1080i tv, it will tell you to slide the switch to hd.

if someone has the aftermarket cables. try unchecking all but 720 or 1080 and see if it will display. let us know.

korsjs said:
if you have it on the tv part instead of the hd part and tell the xbox that you have a 720p or 1080i tv, it will tell you to slide the switch to hd.
if someone has the aftermarket cables. try unchecking all but 720 or 1080 and see if it will display. let us know.

It will work, just at a downrezzed resolution. The 360 setup menu won't let you change it to 1080i unless you slide the switch. ..... which doesn't EXIST on the aftermarket cables.... Hey, at least they included the HD cables for free this time....

BobMurdoch said:
A warning to all. If you want true HD you have to use the Microsoft cable. There is a slider switch that you move from TV to HDTV. The Psyclone XBox 360 cable that Best Buy is pushing fits the unit BUT does not have the slider switch (not the ability to "talk" with the CPU and tell it that an HD signal is being sent - the CPU will not turn on the HD signal without the cable telling it that an HD connection is possible) I don't know if the Monster cable version has the switch. No switch, no HD (you'll be capped at 480i resolution, I'm guessing).

I hate the skinny little cables that MS has (I'm worried about power cable interference - but the picture looks amazing so far - even with the linguini thick video cable feeds to the connectors)

Has anyone tried the vga connection??

korsjs said:
i was also just at toys r us and they said they would not be getting any more 360s this year.
I talked to a manager at Best Buy and he said they had not gotten any in since the initial allocation. I though MS was supposed to be shipping these things weekly albeit in limited quantities.

They are...If you worked at bestbuy, and have been asked this question 1,000 times, wouldn't you be at your breaking point? I'm sure, even if everyone in the store said "not until february", you'd find one for sale long before then if you could go up there every day. They'd rather spend time with customers buying other things to be honest. They don't make a lot of money on 360 systems, so if they can't get you to buy accessories and a system, they're going to move on to another customer...

I hear the main logjam is IBM and the chips. Until they get them ramped up, this shortage situation will continue. Things should calm down right after Christmas when a lot of the speculators go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.