Xenforo Upgrade

Your ads are being blocked and you are seeing the space where the ad is supposed to be.

I have new ads which are supposed to show where ads are blocked but have not enabled them yet.

Reactions: TheKrell
Your ads are being blocked and you are seeing the space where the ad is supposed to be.

I have new ads which are supposed to show where ads are blocked but have not enabled them yet.

Yea, but im not running any ad-blocker. I actually tried firefox menu item - troubleshooting and clicked on 'Refresh FireFox' and that seemed to solve the problem. Your right about the ad. I was seeing the ad in some places, but not in the places where it was right justified. The Refresh solved the problem.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I wonder if it has something to do with the 'Strict Privacy' setting i have set on firefox. It seemed to turn that back off when i did the refresh. It does say enabling this could break some sites...

Why are many posts right justified?!!? Large posts , part or all of the message is right justified. It's happened to many of my post. And on some of my posts, only some of the message is right justified , and then the rest correctly left justified. Very aesthetically annoying.

After many weeks of this new format, i do not much care for it. I thought the previous look and feel was more professional and cleaner. That's my pennies worth

View attachment 142755
I'm seeing the same issue, all or parts of some posts are right justified. I'll be honest, and not trying to pile on, but I'm not seeing much, if any "improvements" with this upgrade, the reverse actually, we've lost some functionality. For instance when replying to a post there used to be a checkbox to disable email notifications right there in the editor, that's gone; if you hit the little arrows to compress the forums list it reverts back the next time you log on and doesn't save the setting; the light is too light and the SatelliteGuys Dark is too dark with nothing in between. Posters have mentioned other issues so I won't list them again. Not upset, just disappointed (and perhaps just a wee bit annoyed). Back when I was writing websites I used to tell my people - Don't change something just to change it, make sure it adds or improves functionality without taking away somethinng users rely on. Sadly that does not seem to be the case with this "upgrade". I'm not hitting on Scott, I know he had little choice and that's not his fault. In the interest of full disclosure I've never been a fan of XenForo, this is the only forum I frequent that still uses it.

Yea, but im not running any ad-blocker. I actually tried firefox menu item - troubleshooting and clicked on 'Refresh FireFox' and that seemed to solve the problem. Your right about the ad. I was seeing the ad in some places, but not in the places where it was right justified. The Refresh solved the problem.
Half asleep this morning, I was thinking you were a pub member, I didn't even look.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not sure about this upgrade people are talking about.

There was a security upgrade that was installed. It broke the dark themes as I mistakenly made all changes to a parent style instead of a child style. (that was my screw up) All the changes that were made to the style were only color changes. All the rest of the settings are the same no matter if you are on a dark or light style.

I still need to fix the dark style so that all changes are based off a child style not parent. I only made changes to it to get it looking like it did before with colors and avatar shapes. As next upgrade will break it again.

For a full list of changes in the XenForo update please see XenForo 2.1.6 Patch 1, Media Gallery 2.1.6, Resource Manager 2.1.5 and Enhanced Search 2.1.3 Released

We will continue to upgrade the software as new releases come out as one they are normally security upgrades - we take protecting your data seriously and just as important we want to keep our servers as secure as possible, and two we don't want to get left behind again like we were in the 1.x series when we couldn't fix or update features as our software was too old and was unsupported.

In the interest of full disclosure I've never been a fan of XenForo, this is the only forum I frequent that still uses it.
Very interesting observation. I have noted the opposite; more and more that I frequent have switched to Xenforo. www.qrz.com being one of them. Do you use QRZ, I know not every ham does.

By the way, the High School Newspaper Editor in me wants to point out the term "right justified" has been misused.

"This is Left-Justified Text. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point."

"This is Centered Text. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point."​

"This is Right-Justified Text. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point."​

(I can't show Full Justified text with this software, but the words align on both the left and right side with the words spread out to make it work out.)

Sorry, it's one of those things that stuck with me and so now I can barely use the Internet.

By the way, the High School Newspaper Editor in me wants to point out the term "right justified" has been misused.

"This is Left-Justified Text. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point."

"This is Centered Text. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point."​

"This is Right-Justified Text. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point. These are a lot of words, arranged in sentences, and these sentences are repeated over and over so I can make my point."​

(I can't show Full Justified text with this software, but the words align on both the left and right side with the words spread out to make it work out.)

Sorry, it's one of those things that stuck with me and so now I can barely use the Internet.
I vote for Left Justified ...

I just ran into this in the Sports forum. As far down as I scroll this is all I see.

sports forum.jpg

Very interesting observation. I have noted the opposite; more and more that I frequent have switched to Xenforo. www.qrz.com being one of them. Do you use QRZ, I know not every ham does.
I was a member there for a while but wasn't getting anything out of it so I dropped it. As for XenForo, it's market share is 3.34%. It's rather hilarious that on their own forum they claim over 44% (apparently based on cookies?) but no one else that tracks market shares has them above 4%.

Xenforo market share

• Wow
So who are the big players? And are they outdated players that sites aren’t updating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So who are the big players? And are they outdated players that sites aren’t updating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well if we remove Buddypress and Tapaptalk from that list, we get back to normal numbers, and closer to that 44%. IMO Buddypress should not be counted. It is the biggest player because it is free. Free doesn't always mean the best. Most sites that use it are idle, defunct, or get only a few visitors a week. Biggest paid player is still vBulletin but they are droping sites faster than Xenforo. Tapatalk is an app used to collectively put all the forums one views, in one easy to read place. It is not exactly forum software like vBulletin and Xenforo.
BTW not defending Xenforo, even though it sounds like it, just stating the facts. :)

Reactions: navychop
Here’s what I’ve noticed about the CSS download failure (when the page comes up without the proper formatting): at the bottom of the page is an alert asking to enable Push Notifications. No alert, proper formatting. The ironic thing is when I click on the Enable Notifications link, it has a greyed-out box stating that Notifications are not available on my device (iPad and Safari). I highlighted the alert in the red box on my screenshot.

Refreshing the page a half-dozen times or so to get the page to display properly is like CSR Roulette. Eventually you get some useful information but it takes up time you don’t get back.

Also, it seems to trigger only if I have a post on the current page, like this one. I went into a thread I had not posted in and all the formatting was as expected.

Attachments

• 4C14DF76-ABC2-4279-9B7D-06062FBDE10E.jpeg
    4C14DF76-ABC2-4279-9B7D-06062FBDE10E.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
This must be a common XenForo bug, the Buick Regal Forum I belong to does the exact same thing with losing the Site's Motif when it wants me to enable Notifications. Same thing, too, as it says Notifications aren't supported on this platform.

Scott Greczkowski, I know you have Apple devices, doesn't this happen to you on your iOS or Macs using Safari?

So notifications show up as enabled or supported?

Edit: Okay, I see I’m screwed since I’m using Safari on an Apple device:
PNG image.png

So the only question left is why it works on some threads and not on others. It could also be due to me using the “SatelliteGuys Light (Default)” skin.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is related to the upgrade, but I'm getting a weird one.

My Chrome tab of SatelliteGuys looks normal when the tab is active:

1580418327417.png

But when I go to another tab, the SatGuys tab looks like this:

1580418430004.png

Is the site really that insecure that it thinks I won't return? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts