XM on DirecTV - Changes & Some new (non-xm) music

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well to alot of people, there are very important..

When D* started the DOD project, you would use the Channel up/down to change channels. If you had no protection in place, you would channel down from DOD to O and A. Chances are, an F bomb or some other unsavory discussion was occuring. It's a very uncomfortable experience when your kids are in the room and this stuff starts coming through your system. I wouldn't mind them throwing O and A or Stern in the 5xx range, but they should never mix this material between the music channels and the "On Demand" programming.

Maybe DirecTV might pick up some of the Worldspace channels that have either never been carried by XM, or have been demoted to "Online Only" by XM.

I wonder how XM decides what channels to demote. How do they know the ratings? For years I have listened to 80% The System, 15% Squizz and 5% other. How do they know this? They don't, do they? So why remove a station or demote it without a little feedback.

Anybody ever get surveyed by XM about what they listen to? Nielsen certainly doesn't track satellite radio do they?

Arbitron does, not Nielson.

I thought they only did broadcast radio... cool... like elected official polling, TV, radio, etc, I have never been polled or asked my opinion on anything. I have never even met anybody that partakes in Nielsen or Arbitron for what they watch or listen to. Who gets polled or monitored?

Anybody out there?

I see here where they say the Bridge will be back in January, if that is true it is good, but I have my doubts. This the most hijacked channel on sat radio. So where on DTV did it say the Bridge will make it's return? I havent even seen a hint of this anywhere else, although I sure hope it is true.

O&A are an acquired taste, but Ron & Fez are on the same channel, and that's the best radio show out there.

IMO

ANYTHING above average is an acquired taste. Coffee.... sushi.... some of my favorite movies. How many things do you actually love right from the get go and hold dear for any length of time? New CDs are the same way. One of my favorite CDs in my trippin days of my early 1990's teen years was Beck's Mellow Gold. That album took a lot of listens before I really got it, before I really loved it. Same thing happens all the time. You hear a song and think "blah." Over time you hear it more and more and it grows on you and you love it.

I am fairly certain that anything beyond average is an acquired taste. Good movies like Donnie Darko, No Country for Old Men, Requiem for A Dream, Quills, 2001, Brazil, Blade Runner, that type of stuff. You enjoy more and more with each screening.

You may watch an action movie like X-men and enjoy it right out off the bat. But does your enjoyment grow with each viewing? No. Because it is average. Average things do not require an acquired taste. They are nothing special. I haven't listened in a few years, but I loved Neal Boortz radio show. That took some getting used to. I mildly enjoyed passing the time with Sean Hannity, but he was nothing special and no excitement ever grew as I listened to him further.

Get what I am saying? Anything above average really is an acquired taste.

Agree, Ron & Fez are nice to listen to and can be a very intelligent show. And then East Side Dave does his thing.

The 2.3 billion dollar question is whether or not Sirius XM can survive under their crushing debt. I am not buying any new radios until that is clear.

J.Vo

Agree, Ron & Fez are nice to listen to and can be a very intelligent show. And then East Side Dave does his thing.

The 2.3 billion dollar question is whether or not Sirius XM can survive under their crushing debt. I am not buying any new radios until that is clear.

J.Vo

I cant stand fez.. his voice drives me up a wall.

O&A are an acquired taste, but Ron & Fez are on the same channel, and that's the best radio show out there.

IMO
I start every day listening to O&A on DTV. So, I'm pretty bummed. I always wanted the comedy channels and the Sirius Dead channel so I guess it's time to get a real subscription to satellite radio.

I wonder how XM decides what channels to demote. How do they know the ratings? For years I have listened to 80% The System, 15% Squizz and 5% other. How do they know this? They don't, do they? So why remove a station or demote it without a little feedback.

Anybody ever get surveyed by XM about what they listen to? Nielsen certainly doesn't track satellite radio do they?

I have been surveyed about what I listen to.

Jimbo

ANYTHING above average is an acquired taste. Coffee.... sushi.... some of my favorite movies. How many things do you actually love right from the get go and hold dear for any length of time? New CDs are the same way. One of my favorite CDs in my trippin days of my early 1990's teen years was Beck's Mellow Gold. That album took a lot of listens before I really got it, before I really loved it. Same thing happens all the time. You hear a song and think "blah." Over time you hear it more and more and it grows on you and you love it.

I am fairly certain that anything beyond average is an acquired taste. Good movies like Donnie Darko, No Country for Old Men, Requiem for A Dream, Quills, 2001, Brazil, Blade Runner, that type of stuff. You enjoy more and more with each screening.

You may watch an action movie like X-men and enjoy it right out off the bat. But does your enjoyment grow with each viewing? No. Because it is average. Average things do not require an acquired taste. They are nothing special. I haven't listened in a few years, but I loved Neal Boortz radio show. That took some getting used to. I mildly enjoyed passing the time with Sean Hannity, but he was nothing special and no excitement ever grew as I listened to him further.

Get what I am saying? Anything above average really is an acquired taste.

Sorry to say, I have never heard of anything you mentioned in your post here.....
You must be quite young, or I quite older than you.

Some more news about the XM on Directv lineup.
The Item in bold are the ones that will have new names and maybe programing that will be from Sirus.
801/40's on 4...remains
802/50's on 5...remains
803/60's on 6...remains
804/70's on 7...remains
805/80's on 8...remains
806/90's on 9...remains
807/Oprah&Friends...is removed by XM
808/America...now Roadhouse
809/US Country...now Prime Country
810/X Country...now Outlaw Country

811/Willie's Place...remains
812/Bluegrass Junction...remains
813/The Village...remains
814/Highway 16...now The Highway
816/20on20...remains
817/Hitlist...now To Be Announced
818/Flight 26....now To Be Announced
819/The Heart...now Sirius XM Love
820/Escape...remains
821/The Blend...remains
822/Cinemagic...now Holly
823/On Broadway...remains
824/U-Pop...remains
825/The Heat...remains
826/The Message...remains
827/Spirit...now Praise
828/Enlighten...remains
830/Boneyard...returns in January
831/XMU...now Sirius XMU
832/Xm Cafe...now The Spectrum
833/Top Tracks...now Classic Vinyl
834/Ethel...now Alt Nation
835/Squizz...now Octane

836/The Loft...remains
837/Big Tracks...To Be Announced
838/Lucy...now Lithium
839/Fred...now...Nothing
840/Deep Tracks...remains
841/XM Liquid Metal...remains
842/Soul Street ...is To Be Announced
843/Suite 62...is To Be Announced
844/The Groove...remains
845/The Rhyme...is removed by XM
846/Raw...is removed by XM
847/The City...is To Be Announced
850/Real Jazz...remains
851/Watercolors...remains
852/Beyond Jazz...is removed by XM
853/High Standards...is removed by XM
854/Bluesville...remains
855/Fine Tuning...is removed by XM
856/Audiovisions is To Be Announced
857/XM Chill is To Be Announced
858/The Move is To Be Announced
859/BPM...remains
860/The System...remains
861/Chrome...is removed by XM
862/World Zone...remains
863/The Joint...remains
864/XM Classics...remains
865/VOX...is removed by XM
866/XM Pops...is now Sirius XM Pops
867/Radio Disney...remains
868/XM Kids...remains
871/Aguila...is removed by XM
872/Caliente...remains
874/Vibra...is removed by XM
875/Caricia...is removed by XM
876/Viva...is removed by XM
879/The Virus...is removed by XM

XM will also add three channels

1) Hair Nation (classic hard rock)
2) Coffeehouse
3) The Bridge (not available until 1/1/09)

This could change! Hope this helps a bit!

I have been surveyed about what I listen to.

Jimbo

By XM or an outside firm? I haven't even been surveyed by XM and have subscribed for 3-4 years with a regular account and a second account (family member add-on).

Seems like they would ask me for at least basic feedback as a subscriber.

By XM or an outside firm? I haven't even been surveyed by XM and have subscribed for 3-4 years with a regular account and a second account (family member add-on).

Seems like they would ask me for at least basic feedback as a subscriber.

By XM , it was a phone call type thing, it wasn't entirely a survey, I had called them about something and they eventually transffered me to the person asking about channels I listen to , like and dislike, when we were done they were surprised to the amount of channels that I listen to, appearently they figure people find one or two channels they like and stick to them.
I find a few Rock and Roll channels I like as well as the comedy channels and ESPN , Nascar and MLB as well as the NHL, so I guess I listen to more than the average person. :)

Things I would like include Nascar races coverage and the NFL games.
Once the new pricing comes out for the Sirius XM program channels I will do the above ala carte.
They currently offer the Sirius Best of that includes Nascar and the NFL, but I am waiting to see what the package looks like with the rest of whats available.
There was a rumor that the price of each service would drop to $ 9.99 from $ 12.99 , something like $ 16.99 for both and you would be able to order ala carte for about .75 per channel ... not sure if you can add the NFL and NAscar that way or if it becomes it's own package.

Jimbo

No more O & A? I guess they don't have enough music channels on D*): . Is this a D* decision or Sirius XM's? I pretty much got my XM for O & A but it was nice to be able to listen to them at home. I used to be really satisfied with D* but lately with my "free" $75.00 HD upgrade and crappy no features receivers, I'm losing the faith.

No more O & A? I guess they don't have enough music channels on D*): . Is this a D* decision or Sirius XM's? I pretty much got my XM for O & A but it was nice to be able to listen to them at home. I used to be really satisfied with D* but lately with my "free" $75.00 HD upgrade and crappy no features receivers, I'm losing the faith.

What rec. could you have that has NO upgradability ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts