YES! 4DTV on W5 almost certain

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
Well, I'm confused about all this stuff about authorizing the 4DTV for the Comcast stuff on W5. I have a DSR922 and I'm subscribed to SyFy on W5. If I understand what I've been reading, I'm not suppose to be able to subscribe to anything on W5. So what's the deal? I asked Skyvision about this but the response I got doesn't address my question.

You said that before and I am wondering how you could be getting the SyFy on W5.
Look like the 922 IS capable of receiving the W5 channels.

TMair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 12, 2010
Midway, Utah
You said that before and I am wondering how you could be getting the SyFy on W5.
Look like the 922 IS capable of receiving the W5 channels.
I am getting SyFy on W5 as well, along with several other channels, the 922 is capible of receiving those channels, the problem is it is for now not capible of being authroized by Comcast, and receiving their data stream, once January comes if you want to sub to those channels you will have to do a hard reset, and follow the instructions from SRL/Skyvision on how to set it up to receive that information.
At least this is how I understand it.
But it dosen't realy make sence to me that we will need to do the hard reset, once Moto stops their data stream there should not be any reason for the two data streams to interfear with each other since they both wont be available, I think it is just Moto wanting every one away from the other sats that are up there for what ever reason.
Terry

tvropro

On Vacation
Mar 9, 2007
There are questions that will have to be answered come Jan 1. We will know for sure then. I suspect that all ala-carte will go away and only the 410 packages will be sold for our 922's.

TMair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 12, 2010
Midway, Utah
There are questions that will have to be answered come Jan 1. We will know for sure then. I suspect that all ala-carte will go away and only the 410 packages will be sold for our 922's.
And that's one thing that has me a little concerned, in my opinion those packages are almost as bad as Dish, and Direct for what you get, SyFy is probably the channel I watch most, to get that I will have to pay almost $40.00 a month, and I will get a boat load of channels that I DON'T want, to me that is just not acceptable, but like you said we will have to wait and see.
Terry

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
That's the beauty of those big packages that have "the" channel you want....$$$$$$

Of course even if we can sub next year-c band as we knew it is gone. Still will be better than pizza SD. I will stick with w5 when that time comes.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
So.. ONLY the 410 packages will be available? If that is true, does that mean that the cheapest price I will be able to get VH1 Classic is for $34.14 /month? Skyvision Packages Link If so, then my C-Band subscription days will be over, and I will be reducing the number of C-Band subs from 18,000 to 17,999.

tvropro

On Vacation
Mar 9, 2007
Listening to Mike on Sat-talk last Friday that is more or less what he was saying for right now. He did say also they also have to get new contracts for everything so maybe we will still have ala-carte. He was saying that with big packages they only need a few tier bits, with ala-carte they need allot more and they cost money. We will have to see. I hate to say it but I get more bang for my buck with DirecTv, well at least for the first year :(

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
...If that is true, does that mean that the cheapest price I will be able to get VH1 Classic is for $34.14 /month? ...

Maybe! Maybe not!

Not too long ago most of us believed that 4DTV was a total goner! The answer will be known later and hopefully it is pretty good news!

I received a junk mail flyer from charlie yesterday and actually looked at it! :eek:

The charlie package that includes VH1 Classic is $64.99 plus tax!!!... :eek:

I think that direct pizza is close to charlie in price too... so W5 looks pretty good to me! :D

NPS's last package prices were getting quite high (plus the uplink fee) that they stunk like pizza! G3 even looked like pizza!

I am a VH1 Classic junkie too but I also watch most of the other channels available in the W5 package. :up

tvropro

On Vacation
Mar 9, 2007
QUOTE=Dishman Dan;2292075]Maybe! Maybe not!

G3 even looked like pizza!

[/QUOTE]

Actually DirecTv's SD looks better than NPS G3 does. I had G3 and now Direct SD.

To get VH1 classic with Direct you need Choice Extra. It can be got for $29.99 the first year. I have Choice at $24.99. I can upgrade for $5.00. Direct is giving a free preview of Choice Extra starting on the 15th of this month that goes into Sept. We will be getting a Starz FP also in Sept. Free preview's I forgot what those were. Pizza stole all the perks c band had :(

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
As it is now, the Skyvision and SRL packages are mostly the same in content and price. A few minor differences noted. I hope when the day comes that ala-carte will continue and SRL can negotiate some packages for themselves, separate from Skyvision.

I will be missing Discovery Channel, but perhaps I won't be missing much. It's turned into the Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters rerun channel anyhow.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
[/QUOTE]Actually DirecTv's SD looks better than NPS G3 does. I had G3 and now Direct SD.

To get VH1 classic with Direct you need Choice Extra. It can be got for $29.99 the first year. I have Choice at $24.99. I can upgrade for $5.00. Direct is giving a free preview of Choice Extra starting on the 15th of this month that goes into Sept. We will be getting a Starz FP also in Sept. Free preview's I forgot what those were. Pizza stole all the perks c band had :([/QUOTE]

I had directv from 1997 to 2000 and then 2000 up to 2003 with a dish trial in 2000. :eek:

I had a SD CRT tv and was pretty happy with the picture. However, after having 4DTV and then looking at freinds and neighbors pizza is quite disturbing! I see lines and patterns that they cannot see and their picture freezes and cuts out now and then! :eek:

If the Choice Extra package stayed at $29.99 I would be hooked! How much is it actually after the year???

When I had pizza I first had a small package at $7.99 which included news, weather, MTV, and a handfull of other stuff. Then I spurged and got all the HBO's, Showtimes, Cinemax and Starz for $16 a month with no other package. I then went to their big $29.99 package and was on top of the world and dropped the movies. It was after Directv bought USSB out is when things went crazy and prices started upwards and I dropped the pizza!!!...

tvropro

On Vacation
Mar 9, 2007
How much is it actually after the year???

[/QUOTE]

Too Much! :eek: $63.99, I won't be buying it next year. I will revert to the hidden family package at $29.99 unless Direct will cut me a better deal on a higher pack.

Genna

SatelliteGuys Guru
Nov 19, 2009
New England
My first year is a good price for what I get (choice $24.99 mo). The second year I will downgrade to the hidden family package $29.99 (which all I wanted originally) if they would have let me sub one of the STB's I had. So pizza ain't getting much of a leg up on me. :) Gotta know how to play them at their own game.

How do we do that ? the fine print in their flyer (seeing the second year would revert to 69.99 or something a year is what earned it the trash bin)

I have a 4dtv drs-922 with a 10 foot dish, but I'm confused with all the tech talk, Im sort of stuck because I can't pull in any broadcast TV where I am, and there is no cable.

I'm pretty upset that I'm being forced into an expensive contract just to see anything at all, I don't know about KU etc yet.. trying to learn. I like television, but not 60 or 70 dollars a month worth. When i read about W5 possibly still being alive, I knew it would be priced near the small dishes, while we lose the news channels.

wildbill47

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 3, 2008
northern California
There are trying to force the rest of us to pizza dishes. If I can not pay for service at a reasonable price as have been doing will hack in "no further comment" If you have the ability things can happen..:D

john dusek

SatelliteGuys Family
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2005
east bernard Texas
After near 20 years

After nearly 20 years of C band,I also finally gave up and got Dishnet. Sad to see my (not very old 4dtv)still hooked up and just sitting there. Hate to admit it but am really enjoying the HD programing,and since I got the duel input receiver,can record HD two different programs at the same time on its fairly large hardrive,or record the older programs on my old recorder(DVD or hardrive).(that I used on C band) It really has a lot of nice features and free installation and a small rent on receiver. Gave a nice discount on the 2 year sigh up. I know I sound like a traitor,but had to change with the times.

Genna

SatelliteGuys Guru
Nov 19, 2009
New England
I already feel coralled paying 60.- for 5 gigs of broadband (capped) per month (thats limiting myself to about 165 megs a day) because of where I moved, there's no competition for them other than a latency riddled satellite internet or dialup and they're cleaning house on us.

Now I see the same sort of situation for people who often got C-band initially because they were out of range or in mountainous areas where broadcast TV was compromised or non-existent and cable companies don't like laying line in sparsely populated areas.

Im hoping I won't have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the "pizza" hut, that's why im suddenly frequenting the boards hoping to find something to watch after december, and how to do it. When I first installed the dish, so much was free, I still have my old trx-80.. i wonder if i can pull something in on that.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
You will more than likely have programming on w5. Good assortment of top tier cable channels. Even if you would have to spen 129.00 on a dsr 410 from www.skyvision.com it would be worth it. Do you have a fta receiver? A good HD capable fta box like the pansat 9200 HD will ge you some cool fta programming. I am assuming you have a moveable c ban dish.

Genna

SatelliteGuys Guru
Nov 19, 2009
New England
You will more than likely have programming on w5. Good assortment of top tier cable channels. Even if you would have to spen 129.00 on a dsr 410 from www.skyvision.com it would be worth it. Do you have a fta receiver? A good HD capable fta box like the pansat 9200 HD will ge you some cool fta programming. I am assuming you have a moveable c ban dish.

I don't think I have an FTA receiver, I have a 10 foot orbitron dish with the 4dtv dsr-922 receiver which replaced my old trx-80. I usually let the satellite guy put whatever LNB he had on hand on my dish because lightning took it out several times one year and I kept having to buy new ones.

I don't have a clue about FTA yet, I'm still working on figuring out all the acronyms people tend to use which I don't understand, so its sort of hard to figure everything out.

I wish someone would make a little "transition guide" in layman's terms for those of us who have 4dtv receivers and our options after December 21, like what we should buy and what it might get us. I'm not usually a slow learner, but the lingo has been a roadblock, I didn't want to annoy people in the discussion asking newbie questions, like what certain abbreviations meant.

The chart iceberg posted helped me to understand which channels were "KU" and which were "FTA", c-band, 4dtv etc.. but still don't know which receivers/lnbs pull in which.. I'll look into the pansat 9200 HD you mentioned.

Skyvision Satellite Equipment

I was assuming the W5 channels could be on the 4dtv, Ive had them before on it... not sure how their remapping or uplinking or whatever the correct term is will affect that on my receiver.

Last edited:

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
There is a whole new world in store for you on fta tv. A fta receiver with blind scan or smart search-same thing, will scan a transponder to pick up available non-encrypted channels. You jus use your 922 to move your dish to any desired satellite then you have to use your 922 to select vertical or horizontal and then scan that satellite. Unencrypted channels will be saved and pop up.
It's a fun hobby...there's a lot up there. Your big dish is worth it's weight in gold just for fta in my opinion.

Genna

SatelliteGuys Guru
Nov 19, 2009
New England
There is a whole new world in store for you on fta tv. A fta receiver with blind scan or smart search-same thing, will scan a transponder to pick up available non-encrypted channels. You jus use your 922 to move your dish to any desired satellite then you have to use your 922 to select vertical or horizontal and then scan that satellite. Unencrypted channels will be saved and pop up.
It's a fun hobby...there's a lot up there. Your big dish is worth it's weight in gold just for fta in my opinion.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep buzzing around trying to learn a little more about these receivers, just hope I can find some decent news channels out there, doesn't seem w5 has anything of that genre

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)