Yes in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Chuck W said:
No, I never said that. I understand I need MPEG 4, but what has been conveyed(and also proven since others have the issue) is that even if I did have MPEG 4, since I am not in the actual NYC DMA(I am in Hartford's DMA) I could not get channel 96 anyway. THAT is what my issue has been all along.

IMO you keep CHANGING the issue. What you got last year you get now (but more of it). Channel 96 is NEW - and unfortunately (I mean that sincerely) NOT available in your area. The reason though is not as devious as I think you are trying to make it, I believe that DirecTV would LOVE to be able to give it to you, and also NESN, etc. It is in their BEST interest to provide these - they are STRONG competitive advantages over DISH for example. They are NOT as you suggested holding it back to charge more money - if they were they would be charging it NOW as the baseball season is in the final stages for this year already.

If you don't believe that they have some technical limitations (and THAT is the ONLY real issue isn't it?) - no one will change your opinion. My opinion is that there ARE real technical issues to be worked out. Enough already!!!!!

Again - in the meantime, you are getting MORE than you had - at NO additional charge. geez!

Found out why last Saturday's Yankee game was NOT on 95 as well as 96 (same for tomorrows Yankee game).

There cannot be ANY national MLB EI programming on Saturday afternoon due to contract with FOX for MLB games on Saturday. For example tomorrow at 4pm they have a game on for the western time zones. Can only be on local channels.

As such, this game would not be a game that would have been on last year on YES-HD either - for the same exact reasons listed (whether it was Home OR Away).

That's not really an EI issue, or even a national-broadcast issue.

FOX has exclusive broadcast rights to the Saturday afternoon window, period (regional rights included). And ESPN has similar rights to Sunday nights.

YES (or any other RSN) don't own the rights to games played in the FOX/ESPN windows. D* can only obtain feeds to those games from FOX/ESPN (unless FOX/ESPN do not plan to show the games regionally and allow it).

BTW: nice shirt (avatar)

Same problem today with pixelation on channel 96 (Mpeg-4) YES network (Yankees vs Devil Rays) with H20 receiver. When the players stand still it is ok, but movement is choppy at times and occassional pixelation.

Alignment of dish is good, signal strength is good as well. Restarted receiver but the quality is just not there.

Anyone else having this problem ?

elkiehound said:
Same problem today with pixelation on channel 96 (Mpeg-4) YES network (Yankees vs Devil Rays) with H20 receiver. When the players stand still it is ok, but movement is choppy at times and occassional pixelation.

Alignment of dish is good, signal strength is good as well. Restarted receiver but the quality is just not there.

On Sunday the game was on 95 and 96. I was watching 96 and saw pixellation exactly as you describe. I switched to 95 and had no pixellation. I also checked TNT-HD and it had no pixellation at the same time.

elkiehound said:

Did you report this to DirecTV technical support? If not, why? If yes, what did they say?

I couldn't see the point to spending time on-hold when it's likely they would point fingers at the YES uplink. As I said, it did not affect TNT-HD or other HD channels.

jpn said:
I couldn't see the point to spending time on-hold when it's likely they would point fingers at the YES uplink. As I said, it did not affect TNT-HD or other HD channels.

Bottom line - complaints HERE won't get this fixed!

jpn said:

I watch YES HD on cablevision (NYC). There is no pixelation on their broadcast or any other PQ issues. This points more to a D* problem than anything else.

ScoBuck said:
Bottom line - complaints HERE won't get this fixed!

Entirely true. I wasn't complaining... I confirmed somebody else's observation.

And I am NOT saying that complaints shouldn't be made here - just that very few seem to let the people that can fix it ALSO know.

Sean Mota said:
jpn said:
I watch YES HD on cablevision (NYC). There is no pixelation on their broadcast or any other PQ issues. This points more to a D* problem than anything else.
Channel 96 on DirecTV is MPEG4, while I believe Cablevision is MPEG2.

I currently watch YES games in HD using either Channel 95 (MPEG2) on DirecTV or Cablevision's SA-8300HD s on Channel 715, and image quality is the same on both. I've never seen pixelation on Channel 95, so the problem appears to be with the MPEG4.

Unless YES delivers MPEG4 content to DirecTV, I would suspect the problem is with DirecTV's conversion to MPEG4, as the MPEG2 feeds are fine on Cablevsion and DirecTV channel 95.

Last edited:
Last night I called to complain about the issue and was told there is a transmission problem. No ETA on a solution.

My HR10-250 (DirecTV) lists Channel 95 showing "Blue Jays @ Yankees" starging 7:00 PM ending 1:00 AM.

There's another game listed tomorrow (Thursday) at 1 PM.

charper1 said:
Just to know, if it wasn't in the EPG how did you know to tune to 95? What did the EPG list for chnl 95 when you selected it to watch the game? I do know the game was listed on the HD Sports Guide. http://www.hdsportsguide.com

Simple answer. I turned on my receiver, and it tuned to the last channel viewed, which happened to be channel 95, and there was the game. And when I said ".... although not listed in the guide", I was referring to earlier in the day. Obviously, it was in the guide when the game was being broadcast.

Last edited:
Anyone know why the Pic quality on the YES HD broadcast of the Yankees games is soooo much better than the Pq of the HD ESPN games? Damn that pic was nice last night, ESPN game on at the same time looked good but no where near the game on 95.

PQ improvement tonight on the MPEG4 broadcast - looks like they are tweaking things. It seems to have lost its 8mm movie picture effect, and looks normal speed - I have both channel 95 (MPEG2) and channel 96 (MPEG4) and they are virtually identical this evening.

Maybe they ae figuring this thing out finally. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)