Yet Another strange Question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

upnatm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
North-East Lake Superior
I'm just sitting here with coffee and smokes, brain-farting about the half-dozen or so
pizza pans I have kicking around here.

At first I was thinking of building an artistic looking "daisy-thing" out of them, mounting
3 or 4 of them to a single focal point. I don't think the geometry is that difficult,,,

BUT,,,,

Has anyone ever tried uniting 2 or more cables in order to increase signal strength?

I understand the "Stacking" of OTA antennae, but can this be done similarly with sat dishes?

Let's say we had 3 small dishes, each with identical LNBs, and all aimed at the same bird.
Now combine all 3 LNB cables somehow (NOT DiSEqC or 22KHz), and use only one cable
to go to the receiver.

Would the receiver think there is only one LNB?

What could this harm? Can a receiver power up more than one LNB this way?

Would there be a phase conflict in the signals?

Like I said, just brain-farting around, I think I like the "daisy" idea better, --only needs one LNB!

Have a good day!;)

Q" can you combine the output of multiple LNBF's into a single output?"
A: Yes, but the cost would be astronomical. It can't be done "on the cheap" because of the variables of L.O. stability and phase that must be overcome. Adding two signals that are identical, but out of phase, results in less signal (loss). The way to do it multiple receivers. each sending parts of the stream they decode, with a BER indication, to something that will reassemble the stream back into its original form, using the parts with the best BER.
"the "daisy" idea" results in a prime focus dish around 1 meter diameter. with a lot of gaps in the face which will introduce terrestrial noise. (Painted up just right, it may result in a nice lawn ornament though)
Here's an idea I've had for a while. Smooth, then mirror the dish with mylar. Mount a 150 watt spotlight bulb where the LNBF should be. Use colored if possible. Mount a bunch of 'em on a pole, maybe in a "Pine tree configuration, aimed every which way. and have some sort of flasher turning them on and off randomly. Now, during a snow, those colored beams should look pretty amazing. (Yeah, I brain fart also)

Hi Fat Air, thanks for the insight, I guess if the satellite world were as simple as rabbit-ears, everyone
would have pointed their big old Yagis to the sky!

Heh, heh, I'd love to see that X-mass tree! I betcha it would look like colorful air-raid search lights
over wartime London or Berlin! --Look out Memphis Belle!

Here's to brain-farts, "clink", catch ya later.

Q" can you combine the output of multiple LNBF's into a single output?"
A: Yes, but the cost would be astronomical. It can't be done "on the cheap" because of the variables of L.O. stability and phase that must be overcome. Adding two signals that are identical, but out of phase, results in less signal (loss). The way to do it multiple receivers. each sending parts of the stream they decode, with a BER indication, to something that will reassemble the stream back into its original form, using the parts with the best BER.
"the "daisy" idea" results in a prime focus dish around 1 meter diameter. with a lot of gaps in the face which will introduce terrestrial noise. (Painted up just right, it may result in a nice lawn ornament though)
Here's an idea I've had for a while. Smooth, then mirror the dish with mylar. Mount a 150 watt spotlight bulb where the LNBF should be. Use colored if possible. Mount a bunch of 'em on a pole, maybe in a "Pine tree configuration, aimed every which way. and have some sort of flasher turning them on and off randomly. Now, during a snow, those colored beams should look pretty amazing. (Yeah, I brain fart also)

You can also use 'em to beam wifi signals to each other, if you mount a wifi antenna ( or wifi usb adapter )where the lnb would normally go. Connect one to a wireless router and the other to a wifi adapter.....I've read where some signals were sent 10 miles with clear line of sight.

Something else I've never gotten around to trying, is sticking a microphone
at the focal point.

Listen to humming birds, loons, frogs, crickets and even the neighbor's gossip. I don't
have a decent tape recorder machine to use this way, maybe I could MacGiver an MP-3
player to record with.

Heh,heh. Recycling is fun eh? Cheers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)