Yet another switching from E* to D* customer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

db2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
MN
I have read through the FAQ threads about switching but I did have a few more questions if you guys don't mind :)

Where do I get the best deal for new customers? Dishstore.net? Referral? Online?

Any way to guarantee the latest equipment?

I need equipment for 3 rooms. I'm getting at least 2 DVR's and wondering if the 3rd room should be DVR or just receiver with whole home DVR access. From what I can tell the only difference is $99 more up front for 3 DVRs but the monthly cost would be the same. Is this correct?

Does the whole home dvr setup degrade the picture quality?

Is there still no way to diplex in a OTA antenna feed?

Will the DirecTV installer take own my *E dish?

Thanks in advance!

Get your best deal then call Claude at DISHSTORE.NET (and speak directly with Claude) and see what he can do for you. :)

Not likely, but you will probably get it if you are a new sub. Ask Claude.

I need equipment for 3 rooms. I'm getting at least 2 DVR's and wondering if the 3rd room should be DVR or just receiver with whole home DVR access. From what I can tell the only difference is $99 more up front for 3 DVRs but the monthly cost would be the same. Is this correct?
Get a 3rd DVR upfront, it's nice to have and you can record more. The monthly cost is the same.

Not that I can tell, there is plenty of bandwidth on a coax to provide a quality picture for HD at any TV.

He didn't take mine, and won't especially if you tell him not to. It's not his to take. Mine was installed at a different location due to grounding issues.

the monthly cost would be the same. Is this correct?
yep $6 a month
no guessing games on how much the additional reciever will be

Now note the DVR's only have one output so they work the same as a E* dual tuner DVR in single mode

no

LOok on the bright side...when you switch you get FS North in HD 24/7 and no worries if the Twins games will be "authorized" for you to view ;)

Get the DVRs on the initial setup, it will cost you more if you want them in the future. The receiver models you want are the HR-24 (DVR) and the H24 (HD). Some people send the installer back if they don't bring these models. Coming from E* where the Vip receivers are fast, you want these new models.

If you go with the Whole Home DVR (SWM), you can't diplex. These new models don't have an OTA tuner built in. You will need the AM21 module to get OTA. Check you local channels with D*, you will probably get most of them and won't need the OTA tuner.

Nah, the installer for mine was able to slide a new, larger and longer pole over the existing Dish pole, and the old Dish is sitting on my porch, trying to figure what to do with it. He was able to make use of the existing Dish coaxial cables without problems and got everything active within less than two hours.

Check you local channels with D*, you will probably get most of them and won't need the OTA tuner.

thats true

DB2
I forget if you are in the Twin Cities but all of our (Minneapolis) HD locals are in HD except for 41 & 45. With the HD setup we also get the MN channel (2-2) but its labeled 17-2

Channels we get
2,4,5,9,11,23,29 in HD
17-2 (2-2), 17 (2-3), 41 and 45 in SD

The AM21 allows you to get the OTA channels that D* doesnt carry (subchannels) and use the DVR to record them. Depending on location if you can get a neighboring market you can use it to record those. I use my AM21 pretty much for KEYC & KEYC-DT2 in Mankato (75 miles away)

The AM21 allows you to get the OTA channels that D* doesnt carry (subchannels) and use the DVR to record them. Depending on location if you can get a neighboring market you can use it to record those. I use my AM21 pretty much for KEYC & KEYC-DT2 in Mankato (75 miles away)

So if i choose to get all DVR's and I therefore do NOT need to do the whole house DVR solution then I can diplex an OTA feed in one line or would I need two separate coax lines going go each receiver? Where do I get an AM21?

Thanks

So if i choose to get all DVR's and I therefore do NOT need to do the whole house DVR solution then I can diplex an OTA feed in one line or would I need two separate coax lines going go each receiver? Where do I get an AM21?

Thanks

sure you still want the whole home, then you dont have to duplicate recordings
or start watching in the living room, finish in the bedroom, ect ect

sure you still want the whole home, then you dont have to duplicate recordings
or start watching in the living room, finish in the bedroom, ect ect

So I can access any of the three dvrs from any room with whole home? I thought it was strictly dvr => regular reciever?

You can have access to the recordings from any HD receiver or HD-DVR.
The difference being that with all DVRs, you can only schedule recordings from the DVR that you intend to make the recording (or hope and pray that it works using the DIRECTV website tool). With at least one non-DVR, you can set everything from it.

Cool. You guys have been great. I am switching to D*

I wonder what it's going to be like not wondering whether or not the Twins game will be in HD?

Ordering with WHDS is thought to significantly increase your chances of getting H(R)24s and WHDS is included in the current promotion.
From what I can tell the only difference is $99 more up front for 3 DVRs but the monthly cost would be the same. Is this correct?
No, the First HD DVR is free, the second is $99 and the third is $199.
We're living in a digital world. PQ doesn't suffer unless you have rain fade issues (which certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility where you live).
Nope.

Remember also that you can only record two programs per DVR regardless of source.

Go with whoever offers you the best deal. I always suggest to check your local retailers first *IF* they are professional. Not all retailers are created equal. They offer a 1 year guarantee as opposed to the 3 months anyone else offers and they can guarantee you new equipment. Their installers tend to be more professional and experienced. They also have a vested interest in you beyond the point of sale. Also, you're supporting your local community :) But again, make sure its a good retailer.

Check Cosco. Also, make sure you get your refer a friend credit.

oh...also MLB Net ROCKS!!

That's a great channel. That channel along and the fact that I got GolTV back (yeah I like soccer too) in the programming side and MRV in the technology side made the switch a no-brainer to me.

Go with whoever offers you the best deal. I always suggest to check your local retailers first *IF* they are professional. Not all retailers are created equal.

I agree.

DB2
Once you get it installed if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask. Couple notes
-on the DVR's set it up for 30 skip. Default is 30 slip which is like pressing fast forward. 30 skip jumps 30 seconds right away. Here is how to set it up
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/235339-today-directv-install-day.html#post2393384
-set up a favorites :) The "channels I get" in most cases adds channels you dont get
-Unless you sub to the sports package, we get FS North and FS Wisco (668 & 669). Wisco is part time and here in the cities we only get the pre/post game for Brewers. But come fall if a big FSN game is pre-empted by a local event, the game will be on FSN Wisco for us to see

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)