You opinions on my choice

cvictorg

Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
USA
Finally replacing my old Sony 32" CTR

Choice is between a Panasonic TC-P46G25 and a Panasonic TC-P46S2. The size of my living room limits me to a 46" screen

I've decided on the TC-P46S2. This is what Panasonic told me was the diffference between the 2 models

The TCP46G25 has the VIERA Cast, which has the ability to connect to the Internet. With VIERA Cast, you can catch your favorite movie with Netflix and listen to music with Pandora, catch up with family and friends with Skype. The TCP46G25 also has the THX Mode which means that the VIERA HDTV has been designed and tested to achieve THX's rigorous standards for image performance and quality, giving you a more cinematic experience at home. The TCP465G25 also has a PC Input, 2 USB inputs and a LAN port. TCP46S2 does not have any of the above mentioned features.

The TC-P46S2 is also around $300 cheaper! Your thoughts

The THX part means next to nothing. Many units "meet the specs" but choose not to pay the certification fee. Skype? So overkill as to be awkward. Pandora? I submit that audio thru the TV will be a less than thrilling experience. Feed same thru an AV receiver thru any number of methods. Netflix I think is better handled thru something with a HDD to buffer. PC input? You can run that thru HDMI or even an AV receiver. USB inputs? For what? LAN port: Now that I see some use for, for updating firmware. Convenient, but how often will you need to do it? Ever?

Now, 300 dollars. I can think of a few uses..... :D

Panny plasmas

Indeed, it's totally up to you. If you want the extra features of the G25, by all means purchase it. If not, go with the S2. Either way you're going to get a superior picture and great customer service. I have 2 Pannys in my home and am completely satisfied with both. :D

U Got a right brand, To me Panasonic is a lot better that stupid Samsung as picture quality and customer service…but I am SONY guy in TVS, loves Sony TVS, I have 5 of them in my house biggest screen is 65”
Anyway good luck with ur new TV :)

Finally replacing my old Sony 32" CTR

Choice is between a Panasonic TC-P46G25 and a Panasonic TC-P46S2. The size of my living room limits me to a 46" screen

I've decided on the TC-P46S2. This is what Panasonic told me was the diffference between the 2 models

The TCP46G25 has the VIERA Cast, which has the ability to connect to the Internet. With VIERA Cast, you can catch your favorite movie with Netflix and listen to music with Pandora, catch up with family and friends with Skype. The TCP46G25 also has the THX Mode which means that the VIERA HDTV has been designed and tested to achieve THX's rigorous standards for image performance and quality, giving you a more cinematic experience at home. The TCP465G25 also has a PC Input, 2 USB inputs and a LAN port. TCP46S2 does not have any of the above mentioned features.

The TC-P46S2 is also around $300 cheaper! Your thoughts

The THX part means next to nothing. Many units "meet the specs" but choose not to pay the certification fee. Skype? So overkill as to be awkward. Pandora? I submit that audio thru the TV will be a less than thrilling experience. Feed same thru an AV receiver thru any number of methods. Netflix I think is better handled thru something with a HDD to buffer. PC input? You can run that thru HDMI or even an AV receiver. USB inputs? For what? LAN port: Now that I see some use for, for updating firmware. Convenient, but how often will you need to do it? Ever?

Now, 300 dollars. I can think of a few uses..... :D

THX is actually a "mode", and it offers very good picture settings, especially if you aren't going to get it professionally calibrated. If buying in the same size, and NOT getting a calibration, Id take THX mode.

THX is actually a "mode", and it offers very good picture settings, especially if you aren't going to get it professionally calibrated. If buying in the same size, and NOT getting a calibration, Id take THX mode.

But you can get about the same effect with a little playing around. Look at the threads on AVS forums. For last generation, a lot of folks posted service mode settings from professional calibrations. If you looked at the trends instead of individual settings, you couod come up with something VERY close.

Also, in the last generation, a difference between the S and G series was that the S was a 60Hz set with 3:2 pulldown of film material. Did they fix that this time?

Gamma on the S is not as good, and blacks are not quite as good. Regardless of what people think they did last year, the S2 and G do not have a CMS control, and the color chart, as read with a meter, is more accurate on the G with THX, than you can get on the S. The reason I got the S, is because I wanted a 58", I then bought the DVDO to use it's CMS to get perfect colors on the chart.

S does 2:3 pulldown. If he's going to get a S, he should get the 58 or 65" and enjoy the extra size. The S looks good outta the box, calibrated with the Spears and Munsil disc.

If you want to play blu-rays you might consider the V series. They have 24p playback on a 24 multiple (96Hz I believe versus 60 on the G) and thus have no juddering versus the G's.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts