Youtube goes 4K, Demos at CES

Looks like it will require new hardware that supports the new codec? Perhaps new graphics cards for computers?

From what I just read ... According to a presentation by Google, VP9 is ~7% behind HEVC/h.265 in terms of quality/bitrate when they tested VP9 in Q4 of 2011 (They started developing VP9 in Q3 2011). Their goal is to become even better than HEVC.

h.265 is twice as efficient as h.264 but requires 3 times the computing power.

At least we are seeing more 4K adoption.

You Tube goes 4k, Demos at CES

This time around, Google has lined up a whole list of hardware partners to kickstart VP9 deployment. YouTube will show off 4K streaming at the booths of LG, Panasonic and Sony. And on Thursday, YouTube released a list of 19 hardware partners that have pledged to support VP9, including chipset vendors like ARM, Intel, Broadcom and Marvell as well as consumer electronics heavyweights like Samsung, Sharp and Toshiba.

gigaom.com

Tnx for the heads up on this. YT is still having many problems with formats not playing properly. In recent months they broke the compatibility of 3D and it has become a real crap shoot trying to upload any 3D content, and how it plays or different people. Adding 4K will further complicate an already broken uploaded if attempting to use these advanced formats. If you use traditional video, even HD, it works well. I think their recent attempt to add html5 was what broke the 3D players.

For those wondering, yes, you will need special new graphics cards and processors to play any 4K content. I wonder if the new Sony 4k TVs or others will have a YT app that supports YT 4K direct? That would be the easiest way, as opposed to building a computer with 4K graphics. I'm not about to upgrade my 3D editing system for 4k. I'll leave that for the next generation of stereographers. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)