You've probably answered this before

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MC_ClapYoHands

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Minnesota
Bear with me since I'm not too familiar with Satellite jargon yet, but I'm interested in hooking up a satellite to catch some FTA channels.

The channels I want are on the Galaxy 19 satellite under World TV. I have an old Dish500 in my garage which I'm frankly not sure would be of any use.

I talked to a local dealer and he wants to charge me $350 for the whole package including a receiver and installation. I don't know enough to know whether or not that's a reasonable price.

I used to have some ViewSat receivers but I'm not sure where they are anymore. (Ideally, I would prefer using a PC TV tuner card based receiver)

If anyone is interested in guiding me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Since your not going motorized that package above would be GREAT for you, plus it has what many consider the best FTA receiver on the market today included with it. (That receiver all does all the new modulation schemes which the old viewsat can not do.)

If you like to tinker then installation of that system would not be very hard at all!

:welcome: to SatelliteGuys!

welcome :wave from another Minnesotan

I have one question...you mention they are under World TV. Now are the channels subscription based or free? GlobeCast World TV has some channels that require a subscription and their receiver only for subscription. the free channels any reciever will work

If you can list the channels you are interested in we can make sure that you can use the equipment you want to use

Wow, you guys are totally awesome. Probably the friendliest, most responsive, most helpful forum I've joined in a while, especially for a newbie. Thanks a lot!

:wave right back at ya fellow Minnesotan.

I have verified that the channels I want are indeed free. I am not interested in their subscription package, so that shouldn't be a problem. :)

Have any of you guys had any experience with using compatible TV tuner cards as receivers?

I found one that seems like it might get the job done, but posting links seems to be restricted here.

I personally havent used a tuner card (my computer is kinda pokey) and have just gone with receivers instead

I think you need like 5 posts to be able to post a link. I know if you switch the http to hxxp it wont hyperlink then allows you to post the link to the card.

You here in the cities or in outstate MN?

You can post links after a few posts. It's setup that way to stop bots from signing up and spamming.

You could use a tuner card but honestly you would be happier with a real receiver. And it would be a lot more easier to use.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm in the cities. Columbia Heights, actually.

My previous response went to moderation, presumably because I posted a link with "hxxp" :)

I started out with a USB tuner. That was a :4)7$!
Then I tried a Pci card. Better, but still a &5$7'n nightmare.
Yea, it sounds cheaper 'n easier, but the system mentioned above is the way to go for a beginner.

Please excuse my harsh language. ;)

iPhone 4

I started with a PCI tuner. Probably not the easiest way to learn this hobby as Anole said and I'm sure I quoted him numerous times while learning this stuff ;) But if you had to, I really like my TeVii S464 PCI card with MyTheatre software on Win 7. I have 4 displays on that PC. I watch my football on a 120" screen :)

If you want the simplicity of a receiver, but want the mpeg files for your computer to edit and burn to a DVD (or just to store on a hard disk), then a PVR receiver will record the files to a hard disk or USB stick and can be read by a computer.

From what I've read here, and other forums, and what's steered me towards a Set Top Box solution is there's not much that can be called or considered 'plug and play' with the PC Card, software, dish/lnb. Two or three different vendors, a possible three way fight to get operating from a cold start. Not only that but also the different 'flavors' of PC operating systems that comes into play.
STB- dish/lnbf combo - one vendor. Up and running in no time. Then, add a PC Card and get it playing with the software when you know the dish/lnbf is correctly aimed on a satellite. (Opt for a dual output LNBF and both, the PC card and STB can play, different or same channels on the satellite, at the same time) I believe this to be the quickest/ easiest route to take. Also, I believe, contains the least possible anguish.

I started with a PCI tuner. Probably not the easiest way to learn this hobby as Anole said and I'm sure I quoted him numerous times while learning this stuff ;) But if you had to, I really like my TeVii S464 PCI card with MyTheatre software on Win 7. I have 4 displays on that PC. I watch my football on a 120" screen :)

So that Tuner has the full functionality of a receiver (more or less)?

From what I've read here, and other forums, and what's steered me towards a Set Top Box solution is there's not much that can be called or considered 'plug and play' with the PC Card, software, dish/lnb. Two or three different vendors, a possible three way fight to get operating from a cold start. Not only that but also the different 'flavors' of PC operating systems that comes into play.
STB- dish/lnbf combo - one vendor. Up and running in no time. Then, add a PC Card and get it playing with the software when you know the dish/lnbf is correctly aimed on a satellite. (Opt for a dual output LNBF and both, the PC card and STB can play, different or same channels on the satellite, at the same time) I believe this to be the quickest/ easiest route to take. Also, I believe, contains the least possible anguish.

I like this option. I would ideally like to have one hooked the TV for regular viewing, but I want it on my PC for a specific need. I have Flash Media Server on my Linux box and want to set it up for remote streaming. I would be able to access it even when away using a mobile device. That's the primary purpose of the set up for me.

Does the package that was recommended to me on the first page support dual output?

Appreciate the help.

The PCI card makes a pretty good receiver/PVR. Which software you choose has more to do with it though. STBs were not that good back then in my opinion. Most of them were hacker boxes. The new GeosatPro microHD is a wonderful unit. Designed for us hobbiests. I have mine (mHD)hooked to a SlingBox as well for streaming. It has two outputs, HDMI (480i to 1080p)and composite (1/8" pin plug)(480i) Picture quality is outstanding.
You mentioned the "L" word, so I'm thinking, going with an HTPC setup may not be as daunting a task for you as a lot of others who went the PCI card route first. With the PC route you have to pick the right Codecs for your setup and that can be hard to do. Seems like there is always a new and better one to try.

It is very useful to have a STB (set top box, or receiver) to aim and fine-tune the dish, as this is very difficult to do with a PC-based tuner for many reasons.

Once your dish is set up and you are receiving channels, getting a PC card running becomes easier.

I have never owned a receiver but I actually think is easier to fine tune a dish with a PC tuner than it is with a receiver. You can take a laptop or tablet outside with you and remote desktop in to the PC equipped with the tuner via Wi-Fi. Seems easier to carry out a single portable unit equipped with screen than carrying out a television set and a big receiver and having to drag out extension cords... connect the two devices to each other with a video cable... etc, etc. You have software like this you can run with your tuner so that it can act like a meter on your laptop:

http://www.fastsatfinder.com/

If you're going to buy a receiver just for fine tuning a dish you might as well grab a SatHero SH-200 meter instead as it's even better than a receiver for tuning.

The LNB just has to have 2 outputs to have full access to all the channels on 97W.

To view 2 different channels I assume you need 2 cards (or recievers)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)