You've probably answered this before

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok so I think I finally have all my answers. It turns out I will probably have to buy that new Power Supply as suggested by kittyhas1000legs.

So, this whole time, I hadn't noticed that this card requires not just one or two molex-4 connectors, but three! Somehow, I had forgotten about them (I apparently pushed the two behind other wires) and only plugged one in with an external adapter. As for the missing channels, it turns out that yes Al Jazeera English has stopped (although that was not the channel I was interested to begin with, though I noticed it), but the other channel that I thought had gone blank was actually moved around as Jim S. speculated. I don't know why I did not notice this the first time I performed a rescan about a week ago. Anyway, the channel finally appeared at the end of the list when I performed another scan.

I actually scanned both 97 and 91 degrees, just in case, and they both "picked up" a similar set of channels, but now I have found the channel I was looking for. I'll probably stop by MicroCenter tomorrow and pick up a new Power Supply. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on.

Thanks again you guys! You've been awesome.

Ugh, spoke too soon. No mini-ITX power supplies out there with more than 2 molex connectors!:mad:

Hopefully there is some sort of a splitter out there?

Y-cables for 4-pin power connectors used to be a common thing. I'm sure someone still has them. Make sure you look at the specs for your card and the specs for the power supply and make sure that one line is putting out enough current, though.

OK, curiosity got the better of me and I had to see what kind of card needed 3 power connectors...

It appears that this card has three power connectors that connect to one jack on the card, in case one of the power connectors from your computer can't provide enough current. If that's the case, then connecting one of the computer's connectors to two of the card's connectors will do NOTHING to improve the situation. But the good news is, if you have a good power supply in the computer, you shouldn't need to connect more than one.

I would guess that the extra power is only necessary if you're using too many tuners. Are you actually using all four tuners at once? Also, do you have any motors connected, or just LNBs? All this will determine how much power you need.

Go back and read post 39. I sent you a link for the part you need. The supplier also has a retail outlet in Minnesota so it may be local for you.

So I hadn't had the chance to check your responses til now but I just came back from MicroCenter. Bought a 320W Power Supply and a molex power splitter just in case. I knew it shouldn't make a difference given that it terminates back into the same port, but I got it anyway since I couldn't go home and confirm.

I guess we'll see how it goes. I'll update once I've installed tested it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions again.

Aaand so it turns out the power supply in my Gateway PC is some sort of proprietary form factor piece of sh't. It's not mini-ITX or any variant of the ATX form factors found at Micro Center.

Not wanting to give up, I managed to install it anyway (the fan was annoyingly loud), forcing it to fit into the designated enclosure, with one screw to hold it up. I didn't mind so long as it worked. Of course, it did not work. The DVB-S2 tuner card still failed to capture any additional channels.

So I've pretty much given up on the internal TV Tuner card idea at this point. This has been a colossal waste of time.

I am now considering purchasing this instead:
http://www.buydvb.net/pre_order.html

I know it supports streaming within the network, but I wonder if I can capture the stream and re-broadcast it on the internet using VLC.

Aaand so it turns out the power supply in my Gateway PC is some sort of proprietary form factor piece of sh't. It's not mini-ITX or any variant of the ATX form factors found at Micro Center.

Not wanting to give up, I managed to install it anyway (the fan was annoyingly loud), forcing it to fit into the designated enclosure, with one screw to hold it up. I didn't mind so long as it worked. Of course, it did not work. The DVB-S2 tuner card still failed to capture any additional channels.

So I've pretty much given up on the internal TV Tuner card idea at this point. This has been a colossal waste of time.

I am now considering purchasing this instead:
http://www.buydvb.net/pre_order.html

I know it supports streaming within the network, but I wonder if I can capture the stream and re-broadcast it on the internet using VLC.

Here's some info on that device: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/303408-A-new-DVB-S2-receiver-similar-in-concept-to-a-HDHomeRun

Welcome to the world of satellite on PC. Now that you have this pile of money invested (should have just purchased adaptors first), the next step is drivers. From what I have read TBS cards have driver issues.

Sometimes those proprietary PCs use standard form factor motherboards, allowing you to reinstall everything in a standard case with a standard power supply.

Welcome to the world of satellite on PC. Now that you have this pile of money invested (should have just purchased adaptors first), the next step is drivers. From what I have read TBS cards have driver issues.
What do you mean? The first thing I bought was an PCIe DVB-S2 adapter.

Thanks. See I hadn't realized this thing isn't out until March. I don't want to wait that long.

Sometimes those proprietary PCs use standard form factor motherboards, allowing you to reinstall everything in a standard case with a standard power supply.
Interesting. The thought of buying a replacement case hadn't occurred to me. I'll probably look into that if all else fails. Thanks.

I've looked at other receivers capable of streaming and some claim IPTV broadcast to the internet. Does anyone here have any experience with any solution, in any combination, which would allow me to stream a couple channels online using something like Wowza Media Server or even VLC? That's all I want to be able to do. Or at the very least, be able to schedule and record to my HD for uploading.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts