YTTV commercial skip

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tanman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Just for a little background I'm a happy Dish Hopper 3 customer with over a year to go in my contract.
In order to save MIL money we switched her Infinity triple play around.Downgraded her internet speed,moved her phone to Ooma and switched her tv to YTTV.She seems fine with it(other than no channel numbers).
So I was over at my sister's house-she and her husband are on Spectrum.They had just gotten notice of a yuge increase in the tv part of their bill(made Dish increases reasonable in comparison).I suggested they try out YTTV.
They ended up switching over.My sister's only complaint was that they couldn't skip through commercials like they could with their spectrum dvr (and like I obviously can with the Hopper).
Is that true or she missing some trick?

Just for a little background I'm a happy Dish Hopper 3 customer with over a year to go in my contract.
In order to save MIL money we switched her Infinity triple play around.Downgraded her internet speed,moved her phone to Ooma and switched her tv to YTTV.She seems fine with it(other than no channel numbers).
So I was over at my sister's house-she and her husband are on Spectrum.They had just gotten notice of a yuge increase in the tv part of their bill(made Dish increases reasonable in comparison).I suggested they try out YTTV.
They ended up switching over.My sister's only complaint was that they couldn't skip through commercials like they could with their spectrum dvr (and like I obviously can with the Hopper).
Is that true or she missing some trick?
Make sure she selects the DVR Version of what they record, not the VOD version, the DVR you can fast forward, the VOD you cannot.

Make sure she selects the DVR Version of what they record, not the VOD version, the DVR you can fast forward, the VOD you cannot.
Thanks-I will tell her.
Googling the question came up with mixed answers including commercial skip only works on certain channels.
So I will tell her she can skip commercials on all channels.Please let me know if that is not the case.

As noted above as long as the program doesnt say VOD you can skip commercials
Recorded programs can skip commercials
If she is watching live and uses trick play (back up to earlier in the program) when commercials come on there will be times she wont be able to FF through them. I've seen that on both YTTV and Sling

Reactions: tanman and TheKrell
YTTV does take some getting used to, specially for those coming from Traditional Providers, the cost savings ( less expensive, no DVR/Box/Local Channels fees) makes it worth it to learn.

Plus the better quality , Live TV in 1080P Picture and Dolby Digital Plus sound, those are things you cannot get on DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, etc ( and those services costs a lot more).

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks-I will tell her.
Googling the question came up with mixed answers including commercial skip only works on certain channels.
So I will tell her she can skip commercials on all channels.Please let me know if that is not the case.
The channel limitation hasn't existed for quite some time. As long as I chose the DVR version, I never had a problem with skipping commercials on YTTV. In fact, I never even saw the VOD versions of programs unless I went looking for them. I suppose there might be a handful of local channels across the country that insist on preventing commercial skip, but that wasn't my experience.

Reactions: TheKrell and tanman
It's a common experience for new YTTV users that as soon as they add their favorite shows to their Library, they go in and select what's available right away, which invariably is a VOD version (clearly labeled as such). Just like a traditional provider DVR, it takes time for new episodes to air on the linear channels, which are automatically recorded. It's also worth mentioning, given the time of year, many shows are on summer hiatus.

I would also add, since the OP specifically used the term "commercial skip," the best way to "skip" the entire commercial break in a recorded show is with a voice-activated device, like a FireTV. You can hold down the microphone button and say, "Skip ahead 3 minutes."

Reactions: tanman and ncted
Does YTTV come with a tv guide for the live channels? Can you set up programs to record new or repeat episodes.

Does YTTV come with a tv guide for the live channels?
Yes, you can even put it in your own custom order, A-Z or standard .
54530E2E-BA39-4916-A6F1-6B7EDEAB0775.jpeg

3E4BF324-7E7A-4F91-B648-31F481F17153.jpeg

Can you set up programs to record new or repeat episodes.
You select a show, it will record every episode, new and old.

They are working on a option to only record new episodes.

But it is not a big deal since it is a unlimited DVR, you can set it to record every show on every channel, 24 hours a day and never have to worry about running out of space, also no extra charge.

Also, picture is in 1080P and Dolby Digital+ sound.

The other things is you can have it on 3 TVs without a box charge ( unlimited is more).

It is worth it at $65 a month if you still need Live TV.

Reactions: jerryez and ncted
Thanks, I have Dish with the Welcome Pack, but I only pay $61 per month. YTTV has a few channels that I would like that are not in Dish's Welcome Pack. The Welcome Pack is not available any more. So, if Dish tries to push me out of the Welcome Pack, I will just jump to YTTV.

Thanks, I have Dish with the Welcome Pack, but I only pay $61 per month. YTTV has a few channels that I would like that are not in Dish's Welcome Pack. The Welcome Pack is not available any more. So, if Dish tries to push me out of the Welcome Pack, I will just jump to YTTV.
Wow, only a $4 difference between the Welcome Pack on Dish and YTTV, I had Dish in the 2000’s, amazed at how much it is now, also had DirecTV during the same time frame (doing the 2 year switching thing between the two companies to save the most) and their prices are even worse.

Anyways, the extra $4 is worth it in picture quality alone, I have no idea what channels you want and if it is worth it to you.

Reactions: ncted and jerryez
You select a show, it will record every episode, new and old.
That was the one gripe I had with YTTV. I just wanted to record the new episodes so when I wanted to record the new episodes of lets say "Bar Rescue" it would record copious amounts of the show and it was confusing because the newest episode wasn't the first one. I know when I had Philo (they record all the episodes too) they stored the episodes in order so as example the newest episode (say season 10) was the most recent in the list. If an episode 3 seasons earlier was recorded it was placed in the season 7 list. Just made it simpler to find the newest episode.
They are working on a option to only record new episodes.
That would be nice. Another option would be to record just one episode.
But it is not a big deal since it is a unlimited DVR, you can set it to record every show on every channel, 24 hours a day and never have to worry about running out of space, also no extra charge.
Another drawback was you can't delete just an episode. Its all or nothing.
I also was confused as to the different spots a recording would be put. It wasn't in recent recordings if it was a sporting event. It was in Events or something like that. (its been a few months since I had it).

Reactions: reddice
Trying to tell the difference between DVR and VOD episodes is very confusing. I refuse to watch commercials, so VOD copies are out.

Trying to tell the difference between DVR and VOD episodes is very confusing. I refuse to watch commercials, so VOD copies are out.
Is this something that is specific to Roku? I see a lot of people complain about it, but I never really had any issues with encountering VOD copies on FireTV, AndroidTV, or AppleTV. I'd say, I had to go looking for VOD episodes rather than having to avoid them. I never could figure out why it was such an issue for folks.

Reactions: osu1991
I'm new to YTTV and so far the VOD programming I've watched has very few commercials. Last night I watched the new Doctor Who on VOD and there was one 2-minute commercial break. After that, the rest of the show played straight through like a movie.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm new to YTTV and so far the VOD programming I've watched has very few commercials. Last night I watched the new Doctor Who on VOD and there was one 2-minute commercial break. After that, the rest of the show played straight through like a movie.
Is this the new season of Dr. Who you are talking about? I saw online the next season starts in November of 2023.

Is this the new season of Dr. Who you are talking about? I saw online the next season starts in November of 2023.
It does, but it will be on Disney+, BBC America lost the rights to it.

Under a shared creative vision, they will deliver this quintessentially British show to future generations on an unprecedented scale with Disney+ as the exclusive home for new seasons of Doctor Who outside the UK and Ireland.

It does, but it will be on Disney+, BBC America lost the rights to it.

Under a shared creative vision, they will deliver this quintessentially British show to future generations on an unprecedented scale with Disney+ as the exclusive home for new seasons of Doctor Who outside the UK and Ireland.
Thanks ,that explains why I couldn't find the show on a search on BBC America any more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)