Zgemma H9 series

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
I bought this H9.2H satellite receiver, as i needed a spare since i had to replace my Radio Sat Receiver.

1703780351126.png

• Linux Operating System
  • ARMprocessorwith1500MHz Quad-coreCPU
  • Hi3798MV200 Main chipset
  • Morethan4.10xlinuxkernel
  • DVB-S2X+DVB-T2/C combo tuner built-in
  • Support4K-2160p
  • 256MBNANDFlash /1GBDDR3Memory
  • 1x Smart Card
  • WIFI 300MHZ Built-in
  • SDcard(TFcard)forrecording, 8GB,64GB,128GB(optional)
  • 1xUSB2.0
  • 1xHDMI2.0
  • MPEG-2/ H.264andH.265HardwareDecoding
  • HEVC /H.2652160p60Main-10multi-format decoder
  • 10/100Mbit EthernetInterface

Specification​

• ARMprocessorwith1500MHz Quad-coreCPU
  • DVB-S2X+DVB-T2/C combo tuner built-in
  • Support4K-2160p
  • 256MBNANDFlash /1GBDDR3Memor
  • WIFI 300MHZ Built-in
  • 1xUSB2.0
  • 1xHDMI2.0
  • 1x Smart Card
  • Externalpowersupply12V3A

It looks like i lucked out, because the product is now absent online. I bought it for Christmas, as aliexpress had deals, and i got this UHD HEVC H.265 DVBs2x receiver for $63.81 delivered. Wow, I am really impressed with it for the price. First off, it came pre-installed with OpenATV enigma2 software. It has a built in WIFI antenna, and i powered it up, uploaded my services to the box, and then setup the tuner specs for the satellites, and i was watching 'ALL' my channels within about 20 minutes. I then spent some time installing my favorite plugins, and in the end, has my EPG and preferred skin and settings and was like i was using my high end dreambox UHD unit. The channels change FAST, even faster than my DreamBox. The menu system is zippy and responsive a LOT of customization on the open source OpenTV compared the Proprietary Dreambox.

I found only two issues. I cannot switch audio to listen to only left/right channel. A bug. - Only needed for one radio channel i rarely listen too, so really won't be an issue for a secondary unit. It might be fixed in a newer firmware, but i stuck with the one the box came with. The other problem i found, is i cannot play one particular AAC radio channel. I might be able to figure that out, but the other AAC radio channels play fine, so not sure whats up with.

It handles the IP streaming great too. As, i have Al Jazeera news as an IPTV stream, and a couple music channels. I already recorded all the IR codes from the included remote ( by the way, a very nice remote, but won't use it) as i program the IR codes into my single JP1 remote so i only have to use one remote for all my devices.

Its awesome being able to tune in the UHD Nasa channel on it, and it plays the HEVC channels on 116 KU just fine. For my spare bedrooms, i have DreamBox 520 units and i paid about 100 bucks for them. They are NOT UHD receivers, but do play HEVC. But, the units are quite slow in terms of boot time and not as zippy in the menu system. This Zgemma blows the DM520 away. Probably because it has a quad core. Don't get me wrong, i still like my dreambox units and really like the ease of a firmware webpage that allows you to easily repair backup/restore images.

Regarding the Zgemma H9. , i created an image after i was done setting it all up. I am going to potentially torpedo myself, as i want to do a firmware install on it with the backed up firmware, that way ill know its ease, and if all works as planned, ill be re-installing the backed up firmware and all will be the same. This will give me piece of mind knowing i can easily repair or revert back if needed. Ill post again when i take on that adventure.

From reading an older post regarding this unit, there might be issues with blind scan. But, I have yet to test that. I only blind scan on my main receiver, and then upload those channels out to all my E2 receivers in the house. So, no blind scan isn't a big issue, but i know that is usually a sore spot for many.

Last spring, the receiver i was using for the outdoor Radio took a dump. I replaced it with the cheap Axas HD enigma2 receiver i bought back a couple years ago. So, i no longer had a spare E2 receiver. When i saw the price and it was a UHD receiver and had a built in Wifi, i couldn't pass it up. This unit blows the Axas HD unit away. But, the axas is perfect for a outdoor sat receiver. Being its a E2 receiver, i can change the radio station that plays without having to go outside and manually tune the channel, so, the axas was a perfect fit. But this new spare is SO nice, it might not end up as a spare. It might replace an active unit.

Reactions: catamount
Okay, good news. I was able to firmware update.....

First off, because of experience with my Axas STB, i quickly understood this unit is also USB Flash card finicky for firmware restores.

To create the firmware file in the first place, through the GUI, clicked menu, chose setup, and then Software Management, and chose 'backup image'. It takes about 3-5 minutes, and the result is a .zip file.

As per the directions, unzip the image .zip file to the root of the USB flash card. Your root USB flash drive should have this.
1703787918829.png

You power down the device with the white button. When off, put the USB flash drive into the back slot, then hold down the black reset button, and while holding it down, press the white button to turn the power back on. If within 10 seconds, the logo isn't flashing between red/white, then it does NOT like your usb flash drive. I found an older 8 GB flash drive, i copied the files to that. It liked that USB flash drive, and within a few seconds of holding down the black reset button, and powering it on with the white button, the logo started flashing between red/white, and i then RELEASED the black button.

It took about 3 minutes, and the flashing stopped, and then it went off, and then held red for a few seconds which told me it was rebooting. I then popped out the firmware USB flash drive... It started up the without incident. As PROOF of firmware update, before i did the firmware update, i deleted the first service in my favorites list. After the firmware update, the first service in my favorites list was restored which told me that it actually did LOAD in the firmware from backup.

Reactions: FTA4PA