Zinwell WB68 requires at least 2 receivers to work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PoitNarf

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Northern NJ
So today I finished up the mediocre job my installer did last weekend. I ran the 3 additional coax lines from my AT9 and grounded it too. I took out my old 4x8 multiswitch and put in the WB68. I connected my H20 to it to make sure everything was hooked up correctly. Checked my signal strengths on the H20 and I got everything from 101 and 99 ok, but 110 and 119 were odd. With sat 119 I would get no signal on the odd transponders but a good signal on the even ones. With sat 110 I wouldn't get a signal on any of the transponders. I checked all connections, hooked up the H20 directly to my AT9 to make sure it wasn't a problem with the dish; everything was working perfectly when straight into the AT9. After 15 minutes of messing with this I thought it might be a receiver issue, so I hooked up one of my older RCA receivers to the 2nd port of the WB68. I checked the RCA, and I was getting signal on all transponders. Ran upstairs to the H20 and all of the sudden I was getting good signal to all the transponders I should be.

Does the WB68 require at least 2 receivers to be connected to get enough power? It's the only explanation I can come up with for the situation I encountered. I know that no one would ever probably hook only 1 receiver up to the WB68, but it's probably good to know for people installing these things.

I haven't experimented with the WB68, but with non-powered 4x4s connected to old fashioned, 3 discrete LNB dishes, if the suggested cable lengths were exceeded, then sometimes the assembly required two receivers calling for even (18 volt) transponders to allow each to select those signals. How long are your cable lengths?

The run from the dish to the WB68 to the H20 is less than 100 feet I'm sure. Some of my other runs from the dish all the way to the receiver may be pushing 150 feet at the longest. The run to the H20 is by far the shortest of all my runs. Maybe I would have seen a different situation if I only connected one of the non-MPEG4 receivers, who knows, but it's working now and I don't feel like playing around with it.

This is a case of a bad installation and has nothing to do with 6x8 multiswitch. AT9 requires very precise alignment and very solid plumb mast. If your installer did a crappy job with lines ground and multiswitch then he probably did even worse job mounting and aligning the dish. Call DirecTV or installation company and complain, you shouldnt be paying for a bad job.

tech007 said:
This is a case of a bad installation and has nothing to do with 6x8 multiswitch. AT9 requires very precise alignment and very solid plumb mast. If your installer did a crappy job with lines ground and multiswitch then he probably did even worse job mounting and aligning the dish. Call DirecTV or installation company and complain, you shouldnt be paying for a bad job.

Huh? Did you even read my initial post? I know the signal strengths are off on the H20, but when I check my other receivers I get signal strengths in the 90s and even some at 100. The only thing this guy did right was point the dish. I only encountered the situation I described when just the H20 was connected to the WB68. With all of my receivers connected to the WB68 everything is running nicely. Trust me, it was some odd issue with the WB68 and only my H20 connected to it when I was testing my installation. I didn't pay for my AT9 or the installation either, D* gave that to me for free and it's a good thing too. I would have never paid for the installer to only run 1 coax line and no grounds from the AT9 :rolleyes:

Having one rec hooked up to Zim 6x8 is fine, we had some problems with the H-20's reading weird Trans if the download wasn't done, do you know about 02468?
if not, reset your rec, when the blue screen comes up press 02468 to forcefeed the dowload process.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)