Zinwell

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
I have a problem with switches i want to run to 3 rooms with my current setup. I have zinwell non external powered switch the ones with flexports on them can i use them? Any advice I have 3 dual output lnbs on c band rest ku?

Don't know if those switches 'flexports' will work (or 'how' they work but here's a flexport manual.
Here's what it would look like - -

8-lnbs_4-rcvrsmarkiii-02-jpg.24279

Just ignore the last rcvr/diseqc
Found in Switches Simplified.
#9 Anole, May 1, 2008

Flexports are used in a Directv setup (those receivers know what the commands are to make them work)

Fun Fact: You can, and I do, use single output LNBFs with a multiswitch if you are only interested in a single polarity on a satellite. See below on third switch, 95W CCTV English Channels(H only) , 125W PBS (V only):

Four Powered Multiswitches.jpg

Reactions: FaT Air and Mr Tony
Fun Fact: You can, and I do, use single output LNBFs with a multiswitch if you are only interested in a single polarity on a satellite.
I did the same thing back in the day when G10 (now G18) had the Equity mux on Vertical and 99W C-Band had the nets on Horizontal (this was before digital TV was the big thing)

Reactions: fred555
Powered vs Non-powered multiswitches:

Lets say you have non-powered multiswitches, with only one receiver powered on.
There is some point where that one receiver can only power so many LNBFs.

Powered multiswitches, not an issue.

I think about when I had my Toroidal dish all I used were unpowered switches...and it worked fine back then ;)

Some of those setups I had with multiswitch, diseqc 1.0 and Disec 1.1 switches all in line. Have no clue how the heck it would work ;)

But then again the shear amount of wiring I had run too was nuts! I think when I moved out of the house I pulled about 800 feet of coax out (the bank took the house...they werent getting my cable) :D

I think about when I had my Toroidal dish all I used were unpowered switches...and it worked fine back then ;)

Some of those setups I had with multiswitch, diseqc 1.0 and Disec 1.1 switches all in line. Have no clue how the heck it would work ;)

But then again the shear amount of wiring I had run too was nuts! I think when I moved out of the house I pulled about 800 feet of coax out (the bank took the house...they werent getting my cable) :D

I guess it all depends on the specifics of the setup, Some of the C band PLL LNBs draw more too.

330ma for a PLL vs 130ma for an 8115 DRO, 135ma for a Maverick Ku.

I am stumped on how a multireciver, non powered multiswitch setup actually powers the LNBs?
Does it divide up the power from each receiver somehow?

Some passive switches only power the selected port, while other passive switches power all ports at all times. I have found that the majority of powered switches provide power to all ports at all times, but this is not a rule that is written in stone. Unfortunately, this information is usually not included in the spec sheets.

Some passive switches only power the selected port, while other passive switches power all ports at all times. I have found that the majority of powered switches provide power to all ports at all times, but this is not a rule that is written in stone. Unfortunately, this information is usually not included in the spec sheets.

So is there a point on a complex passive switch setup, the type that powers all ports, where one receiver may be incapable of powering all the LNB(f)s?

Yes, definitely. Most STBs have an automatic reset when the current draw exceeds a certain threshold. Many STBs prematurely fail because the current draw is at max draw 24/7. If you have 500mA + load the linear regulator ICs in STBs will be too hot to touch. Also important to remember that the current that will power devices at 18Vdc will be reduced and may not be able to power the same devices at 13Vdc.

Many years ago when we provided factory service and repairs for several popular FTA STBs, I remember one of the most common failures was a damaged regulator or the supporting components. The STBs were designed to provide 450-550mA and users were connecting them to Dishpro combo heads and stressing the ICs with 650mA+ loads. Manufacturers learned a lesson from these early predictable LNB power failures and now most STBs over-rate the LNB power regulators and have much more sophisticated protection circuits. It is rare nowadays to have a STB with a permanently damaged power regulator unless it is continually stressed with a draw just below the threshold.

Yes, definitely. Most STBs have an automatic reset when the current draw exceeds a certain threshold. Many STBs prematurely fail because the current draw is at max draw 24/7. If you have 500mA + load the linear regulator ICs in STBs will be too hot to touch. Also important to remember that the current that will power devices at 18Vdc will be reduced and may not be able to power the same devices at 13Vdc.

Many years ago when we provided factory service and repairs for several popular FTA STBs, I remember one of the most common failures was a damaged regulator or the supporting components. The STBs were designed to provide 450-550mA and users were connecting them to Dishpro combo heads and stressing the ICs with 650mA+ loads. Manufacturers learned a lesson from these early predictable LNB power failures and now most STBs over-rate the LNB power regulators and have much more sophisticated protection circuits. It is rare nowadays to have a STB with a permanently damaged power regulator unless it is continually stressed with a draw just below the threshold.

Excluding Norsat PLLs and their 330ma draw from the conversation, what would be good advice for someone on when to choose powered vs non powered multiswitches?

Well what I did was I used 2 zinwell non powered switches on 99w c band and 87w ku first switch. 103w ku and 110w on switch 2 all single outputs lnbs get directed towards the living room. So I have 2 bedroom receivers getting 4 different satellites. 103w and 87w are universal ku lnbs. Did this work in 1 hour tonight. Pics coming soon.

Reactions: FaT Air and fred555
Add up the total current draw for connected devices which are simultaneously powered. If total current ( measured at 13Vdc and 18Vdc) is close to the STB rating, use a powered switch or other type of power insertion. Remember to add safety margins for longer cable runs and DiSEqC motor surges at start-up and pulling up off the bottom of the arc. There is usually reserve amperage above the STB rating, but continual operation in this safety zone puts undue stress on the power supply and could contribute to premature failure.

I have a little trouble with setup now when I blind scan on my 87w and 103w ku it won't scan in all transponders. Is it because I am using universal ku lnbs on a 22khz switch or need to go to powered switches?

Yep, you can't put a universal on a multi-switch. It has a 22khz built in. So it won't work correctly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts