1-04-11. Now what do I do?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NotTy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Wa
Dang it. I don't want to give up on my 4DTV but what else can I do? I live in an area where I can't receive local stations no more & after Jan 4th, I won't be able to get the Rocky Mountain 8 Networks or the east coast anymore either. I can't get cable where I'm at. And I was told that after the new upgrade on Jan 4th, my dish will never move again. How do I prevent this? I was thinking on getting an Mpeg FTA receiver but if the new 4DTV is going to freeze my dish to W-5, what's the point? How do I prevent my 4DTV from receiving the new upgrade & still receive W-5? I would like to be able to move the dish & still at least receive W-5. I've read this is a problem that might be solved, but "might" is not good enough. Also, DirectTv says they will not provide just the locale stations without a full package, a 2 year contract & a hold on my account. I'll keep my opinions about that to myself. All I want really, are the networks. Any suggestions or anything I can do to help prevent this? Any suggestions at all?

oh and if all you want are locals, buy a cheapo dish receiver and you can sub to just locals for 10 bucks a month with Dish (and no contract)

I tried that with Direct but they said I had to pick a qualifying package. I'll call Dish tomorrow & see what they say.

Oh wait, you mean buy a receiver out right? I didn't even know you could.

You can get the networks for free using a DVB box like a Pansat or a Traxis. Many watch that way. And NO your dish won't freeze at W5 if you wait till after 1/4 and convert with a special set of instructions. The test results are in and works. There is red tape with Motorola before the instructions can be released to the general public. Right now it's not official. I'll be doing it 1/5 released or not yet so I can get more of a take on it for you guys. I see it being a cut and dry deal though. Testers with special privileges to the Comcast SAC did it already.

I know everyone wants answers today but things will happen for the better if your patient. Nothing can be done for the general public anyway till the Motorola 4096 EMM goes down.midnight 1/4.

Good things come to those who wait :) Ask Santa for a DVB box for Christmas and forget about paying Dishnetwork $10.00 a month for something you can get free.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. This sight has been a lot of help. I'll be checking in here from time to time, especially around Jan 4. I guess I'll be patient & see what's next.

One thing to consider would be buy a Samsung DTB-H260F HDTV set top box from Best Buy Or Ultimate Electronics or whoever carries them now. They run around $175. With mine I get all my local channels and they are all HD. I get stuff as far away as 60 miles. I pick up 26 local channels. It is small & sits on top of my Home Theater system. All it is hooked up to is my 20 year old huge antenna wire that's in my attic and an HDMI cable going from the set top box to my HDTV ready TV. Well worth what it cost me 4 years back. That's how we watch ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc. I even pick up some of that cable stuff they sell you for FREE like RTV, Ion, etc. My C-band 4DTV is for premium stuff like movies, etc. If I had a tru HD antenna I might even pick up more channels. I'm one sitting on the fence going to keep my C-band going. We can wait till 1-4 for things to work out. In mean time we got 26 channels to keep us busy till things work out for us 4DTVer's.

I can't imagine any area that cannot get local tv with a proper outdoor antenna. Have you ever tried a high gain outdoor antenna? A high quality unit such as a winegard 9095 P with a mast mount low noise amp with high quality coax an a modern tv with digital tuner or a set top terresrtial tuner like mentioned above.

Also local broadcasts from various places can be had with a fta box slaved to your big dish.

I can imagine not getting any OTA channels, in most of Canada hehe. There's so little OTA unless your in a pretty major city or live close to the U.S. border. So someone who likes watching alot of the network programming, trying to live off c-band programming alone is tough.... Those fta network channels up there on c-band don't carry much of the mainstream network programs. Mind you, I doubt the owners of the primetime television shows would be too happy to see they're programming out there for free.

I tried that with Direct but they said I had to pick a qualifying package. I'll call Dish tomorrow & see what they say.
Directv requires a package because they lease the equipment

Oh wait, you mean buy a receiver out right? I didn't even know you could.

correct. Buy a used clean receiver on Ebay. Make sure it has the purple (new) card in it. Since you own the equipment you can get just locals for $10

I can't imagine any area that cannot get local tv with a proper outdoor antenna. Have you ever tried a high gain outdoor antenna?

I can...our cabin in East Central MN. When it was analog we could get
CBS-clear
PBS-clear
Those were the only 2 full powered analog stations and they are 35 and 50 miles away. We had ABC, NBC, and Fox translators about 20 miles away that were fuzzy but watchable until 06 when ABC & NBC turned those back to the FCC

Now with digital we get CBS & PBS. The Fox translator works in winter not in summer (trees). This is 50 feet up from the ground with a huge UHF antenna (an old Rat Shack 120) and a Winegard YA1713 for VHF.

So yes there are areas where now reception is spotty to non existant

I can...our cabin in East Central MN. When it was analog we could get
CBS-clear
PBS-clear
Those were the only 2 full powered analog stations and they are 35 and 50 miles away. We had ABC, NBC, and Fox translators about 20 miles away that were fuzzy but watchable until 06 when ABC & NBC turned those back to the FCC

Now with digital we get CBS & PBS. The Fox translator works in winter not in summer (trees). This is 50 feet up from the ground with a huge UHF antenna (an old Rat Shack 120) and a Winegard YA1713 for VHF.

So yes there are areas where now reception is spotty to non existant

I can too. Our county says it cannot afford to upgrade to digital so they just shut every thing off.

Directv requires a package because they lease the equipment

correct. Buy a used clean receiver on Ebay. Make sure it has the purple (new) card in it. Since you own the equipment you can get just locals for $10

I might be interested in this but I have a few questions.

If I get a HD receiver will they do the HD version of them?

How tight are DN's spot beams compared to DIR? I would like to use a friend's address in Dallas to get Dallas locals. I live between two markets and my address is considered in the crappy one.

Is it possible to get NY and LA channels instead of locals? Claim RV?

I quit local TV back in 1988 when I got my BUD. With all the crap that's been put out over the last few of years and with NPS continually deleting ala cart stuff, I finally broke down two years ago and put up an antenna to receive the new "Gubmit" mandated digital OTA TV and it's been great for the most part. I'm picking up signals from 60 miles away in two different directions thru a "Gubmit" subsidized digital converter box for my OLD 50" Hatachi BIG screen TV that I still love to watch!! Before digital I could only pick up 4 stations on a good day, back in the day of analog but with this new digital format I'm getting 15 channels in digital quality that puts even BUD reception to shame! Only problem is that it's just the networks and what they offer, which isn't ALL bad.

The Magnavox converter boxwas $40 retail and the antenna was like $35 on fleabay and both were worth every cent I paid for them!!! And YES, I would buy them again!!!

Before digital I could only pick up 4 stations on a good day, back in the day of analog but with this new digital format I'm getting 15 channels in digital quality that puts even BUD reception to shame!

You need to try a DVB-S2 HD receiver then because the HD masters of the networks put OTA to shame. OTA is a 2nd generation encoding. All OTA is MPEG2. NBC and ABC masters for example are MPEG4/AVC and a higher bit rate than OTA.

The Magnavox converter boxwas $40 retail and the antenna was like $35 on fleabay and both were worth every cent I paid for them!!! And YES, I would buy them again!!!

I've tested about 6 different converter boxes and the Magnavox from Walmart was the worst of them all. My top two were a Zinwell and a Artec.

Hell here in southern Saskatchewan we only get 2 OTA channels CTV and CBC. If it wasn't for BUD or pizza dish or cable we would not get much for TV. We only had 0ne OTA channel till about 1974 and right now the one channel has pretty poor reception right now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts