1 Joey to 2 TV's?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sunspotmom

Original poster
Dec 13, 2021
Illinois
We finally upgraded to the hopper and 3 Joeys.
Is it possible to run 2 TVs off 1 Joey" (1- HDMI and 1-component) at the same time, same channel
Not sure if I should try that or change a splitter I see from 1--->2 to a powered splitter 1-->3 and run coax.

I don't think there is any component outputs on a Joey. I think the HDMI slitter is the only way to go, although the composite output I used coming off my 722 was pretty awesome on an HD channel, even though composite is SD.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My J3 only has HDMI and Composite (Y/W/R) outputs.

All outputs are live on Hoppers and Joeys.

Last edited:
I split one of my 3 Joeys and will tell you how it works. Well, at least to me.

Basement. A big screen tv on one wall. Behind that wall I have an exercise room. Another tv is on the same wall. My Joey is underneath that smaller tv in the exercise room. That Joey provides HDMI and old fashioned RCA (yellow:video, White and Red: audio) ports. I use an HDMI splitter. So, hdmi cable coming from joey to splitter. 2 hdmi cables from the splitter are attached to both tvs. (I drilled a hole big enough on that wall for all the necessary cables.) Naturally, the hole is hidden behind big tv. When I watch the big tv in the basement, I am able to use Dish remote although Joey is in the exercise room. If my wife wants to exercise on the treadmill (which is rare!!), she reaches the splitter and presses a button (1 or 2. ) And she turns the smaller tv and Joey. It works without any issues. But, I can not use Dish on my big tv at the same time. I can use dvd/bluray players. I cannot even watch the same satellite channel on that big tv when she is using Dish. When she is done using exercise room tv, I just switch it back (using the hdmi splitter) to big tv.
I setup a bluray player for exercise room. She likes to use that. In this case, I am able to use Dish on my side with big tv.

Bottom line you won't be able to view satellite channel on both tvs at the same time. You can use either tv (one at a time) with a splitter.

Now, if there is a solution that provides watching the same Dish channel on both tvs at the same time, I would like to know, too.

Basement. A big screen tv on one wall. Behind that wall I have an exercise room. Another tv is on the same wall. My Joey is underneath that smaller tv in the exercise room. That Joey provides HDMI and old fashioned RCA (yellow:video, White and Red: audio) ports. I use an HDMI splitter. So, hdmi cable coming from joey to splitter. 2 hdmi cables from the splitter are attached to both tvs. (I drilled a hole big enough on that wall for all the necessary cables.) Naturally, the hole is hidden behind big tv. When I watch the big tv in the basement, I am able to use Dish remote although Joey is in the exercise room. If my wife wants to exercise on the treadmill (which is rare!!), she reaches the splitter and presses a button (1 or 2. ) And she turns the smaller tv and Joey. It works without any issues. But, I can not use Dish on my big tv at the same time. I can use dvd/bluray players. I cannot even watch the same satellite channel on that big tv when she is using Dish. When she is done using exercide room tv, I just switch it back (using the hdmi splitter) to big tv.
I setup a bluray player for exercise room. She likes to use that. In this case, I am able to use Dish on my side with big tv.

Bottom line you won't be able to view satellite channel on both tvs at the same time. You can use either tv (one at a time) with a splitter.

Now, if there is a solution that provides watching the same Dish channel on both tvs at the same time, I would like to know, too.
You can watch the same program on both TVs provided you use the HDMI on one of them and the composite on the other. The composite will be in SD though.

Last edited:
I knew you would know the answer! Well, if picture quality is inferior with SD, is it worth it? I guess it depends on what your needs are. I personally never watch SD channels, HD spoiled me. Thanks Bob.

It is not easy to find RCA cables in the stores these days. Especially if you need a very long one. Amazon or Monoprice may have what Sunspotmom needs.

I knew you would know the answer! Well, if picture quality is inferior with SD, is it worth it? I guess it depends on what your needs are.
As I mentioned above, I felt the SD coming out my 722 composite looked pretty decent. It was DVD quality. If Bluray is your minimum standard, then you might not be happy, certainly if you are feeding a 75" monster and looking critically at the video.

We finally upgraded to the hopper and 3 Joeys.
Is it possible to run 2 TVs off 1 Joey" (1- HDMI and 1-component) at the same time, same channel
Not sure if I should try that or change a splitter I see from 1--->2 to a powered splitter 1-->3 and run coax.
You may be aware of this, but in case you aren't...
You can use a firestick or similar and run the Dish Anywhere app on it for that last TV. It's like a Joey with a less convenient user interface, but also no added monthly charge.

Basement. A big screen tv on one wall. Behind that wall I have an exercise room. Another tv is on the same wall. My Joey is underneath that smaller tv in the exercise room. That Joey provides HDMI and old fashioned RCA (yellow:video, White and Red: audio) ports. I use an HDMI splitter. So, hdmi cable coming from joey to splitter. 2 hdmi cables from the splitter are attached to both tvs. (I drilled a hole big enough on that wall for all the necessary cables.) Naturally, the hole is hidden behind big tv. When I watch the big tv in the basement, I am able to use Dish remote although Joey is in the exercise room. If my wife wants to exercise on the treadmill (which is rare!!), she reaches the splitter and presses a button (1 or 2. ) And she turns the smaller tv and Joey. It works without any issues. But, I can not use Dish on my big tv at the same time. I can use dvd/bluray players. I cannot even watch the same satellite channel on that big tv when she is using Dish. When she is done using exercise room tv, I just switch it back (using the hdmi splitter) to big tv.

sktrus, if you have to press a button on the "splitter" to switch the video to one TV or the other, it sounds like you are using an HDMI switch, not a splitter. It is absolutely possible to split the HDMI signal to 2 TVs and watch the same channel on both TVs at the same time. An HDMI splitter such as this will do the trick: Monoprice Blackbird 4K Mini 1x2 HDMI Splitter, USB-Powered - Monoprice.com

Appreciate your input. I think for now I'm just going to use both outputs on Joey and see if it works like
You may be aware of this, but in case you aren't...
You can use a firestick or similar and run the Dish Anywhere app on it for that last TV. It's like a Joey with a less convenient user interface, but also no added monthly charge.
Hadn't thought of that . Thanks.

I appreciate your input. I'm only going on the other side of the wall. I'm going to try using both outputs on the Joey for watching the same channel on both TV's. Thanks

Here ya go. I learned something. Cheap hdmi splitter won't solve the problem. Curious. Can you put a link for that product? it may be helpful to those who are in the same situation. thanks Kaptain.
Here is a 4x2 on monoprice site...

Looks like the 6x2 is not currently avail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)